Just a few days... (2012-02-18)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, really.

It's just a few days until the production starts.

The PCBs have all safely arrived in Oberhaching at Global Components, who are now currently preparing the metal stencil for the production run, which takes a few days.

The machine will be loaded on Wednesday, production itself will start on Friday.

Link and I will both bear witness to the birth... and will start to assemble the units right away in Oberhaching.

So far, Linux-SWAT, Link and me (mostly Link and Linux-SWAT though) have been working on preassembling the cases.

We'll continue to do that on Monday, so hopefully, when production starts, we'll have at least 300 - 400 of them completely ready to just put in the PCB, test and flash.

It's a freaking amount of work, but we'll do our best :)

The next 5000 cases have been ordered, more LCDs and all AC Adaptors have been checked and shipped to Germany.

A sample of the new LCD Cables has also been shipped to me so I can review it next week and hopefully place the order shortly after that.

This is pretty narrow, we might have a one or two week pause after the first 1000 units before we can produce the next 1000, but then again, let's see if I can manage the constant high shipping rate anyways... I might even need that week to catch on!

I've not yet found the time to create an updated instructions manual, so the first units will probably ship without one, though I finally found the time to contact some German companies for TV Out Cable production, so I hope to give you some good news soon.

notaz has also worked hard on Kernel 3.2 and we'll have some nice new OS testing image for you up soon... while it's just a beta-test and preview of an upcoming 3.2 kernel (with some known bugs still left), you'll probably like what you'll get... well, let's not spoil the fun of surprise here.

So, basically, the only delay in shipping will probably be the amount of work to do from ourselves, but with Link and my parents helping out, we should get there :)

Oh, I almost forgot:

We had a small report about OpenSource Handhelds (mainly the Pandora) aired in German television today.

You can check it out here. (German Language though).

is this the point in time where youre really nervous, and constantly think youre forgetting something, while still being unsure of what the hell is going on as youre trying to sleep

is this the point in time where youre really nervous, and constantly think youre forgetting something, while still being unsure of what the hell is going on as youre trying to sleep

Hmm... nope, never happened for me :)

I'm always able to sleep like a baby :)

Hey very nice report. I like your pirate custom. Remind me o Running Wild (you know, the German band).

Oh, I almost forgot:

We had a small report about OpenSource Handhelds (mainly the Pandora) aired in German television today.

You can check it out here. (German Language though).
The first 30 seconds were so silly i instinctively closed the tab. It has very nice information though and clears the "emulation is illegal" preconception. (saw it in a second go after a good bit of cringing).

The RMA Pandoras were im a total different room ;)

Those boxes were the parts from Craig that arrived shortly before the shoot.

The office is way too small for all the boxes, that's why it looked like that.

As GC will assemble the Pandoras in the future, there was no reason to get a bigger office ;)

Again great news and a good report from the ZDF (they really try to gain the interest of younger viewers and in my opinion they are making a good job). As for sleeping like a baby, I think even they have a longer night of sleep than you do ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back