Just A Couple Of Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
'thatgui' said:
1 I've learned yesterday about a nds emulator named NO$GBA. It's partially free to use, but sadly closed source software - so "simple" porting is no option. After a quick sweep via google I found out that the emu has an opengl renderer, but I don't know anything about the hardware requirements. I don't know if the pandora dev fund was a success or not, or if all the money is allready planned in for something, but maybe the author could be persuaded to do a port.
2 no clue about it
3 If the wikipedia entry about the Nintendo DS is correct both screens have a resolution of 256 × 192. So with 2*192 = 384 pixels both would fit on the screen of the pandora in their "natural" orientation, but I'm wondering if the screens physical size is too small to make this a viable option. Juxtaposing the screens is no option for me, because the sole reason I'm interested in nds emulation is Contra 4.
NO$GBA isn't even worth porting. The sound is completely bugged and it has many graphical bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
'God Ginrai' said:
'Raz' said:
My opinion on DS Emulation is that the screens should be side by side scaling + non-scaling... Should provide a better screen... But a TV-Out should work splendidly with DS emulation....
My opinion is that a DS emu should support all the proposed methods of display. (Including the TV-out method) That way everyone is satisfied.

-God Ginrai

My opinion is that if someone actually does a DS emulator you all should be damn well pleased with however it works.

Mithrildor; No$GBA is the fastest and most compatible Nintendo DS emulator there is. Yes, DeSmuME doesn't have the audio glitches it sometimes has but it otherwise runs a lot of games DeSmuME doesn't. The speed on both is pretty lacking but DeSmuME is overall far from fullspeed on my Athlon2X 2GHz.

Of course it's moot, since No$GBA can't be ported anyway.

Adjustable screen layouts is trivial compared to the other challenges in coding a DS emulator. If you must bikeshed the features of an emulator, wait until it exists first.

Are there any pre-pubertal girls in the community? No? So why bother with a DS-Emulator? :D

'conso' said:
Are there any pre-pubertal girls in the community? No? So why bother with a DS-Emulator? :D
Although i don't like many "commercial" DS titles, there are some very good homebrew/indie titles as well.

See Bobs game (if it ever gets beyond the demo release)

'lulzfish' said:
'conso' said:
Because some DS games appeal to other people in the community?

And probably because some people don't have a fanboyish disgust for the DS. Honestly, you can't make that statement unless you're a PSP (or similar) fanboy or someone who is a total elitist and feels they are "too good" for Nintendo products. If you have nothing positive or constructive to say, keep your mouse off the post reply button.

'Exophase' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
'Raz' said:
My opinion on DS Emulation is that the screens should be side by side scaling + non-scaling... Should provide a better screen... But a TV-Out should work splendidly with DS emulation....
My opinion is that a DS emu should support all the proposed methods of display. (Including the TV-out method) That way everyone is satisfied.

-God Ginrai

My opinion is that if someone actually does a DS emulator you all should be damn well pleased with however it works.

The point of my post was not to beg of things from the future DS dev, it was to say that it's pointless to lobby for your own way of displaying the DS screens, because everybody has so many damn different ways they would like it to be.

I wasn't suggesting we should hound whatever developer chooses to do it into doing them all. More, it was meant to say that we shouldn't be hounding him at all. I worded it the way Raz did to make a point that everyone has an opinion, normally different. I guess my point didn't come across as well as I thought it had.

-God Ginrai

'Vorporeal' said:
'lulzfish' said:
'conso' said:

And probably because some people don't have a fanboyish disgust for the DS. Honestly, you can't make that statement unless you're a PSP (or similar) fanboy or someone who is a total elitist and feels they are "too good" for Nintendo products. If you have nothing positive or constructive to say, keep your mouse off the post reply button.

No, I'm neither a psp-fanboy (played more ds then psp-games and don't own a psp) nor do I think I'm too good for nintendo products, but I didn't find one single ds-game that would be worth all the time to make an emulator for this system, especially seeing that playing ds-games on the pandora will always take compromises. Bob's game isn't an argument cause it currently seems like a pandora port is more likely to happen then a ds-release ;)
That doesn't say I would be negative about someone making/porting a ds-emulator for the pandora, I just don't understand all the discussion.

'conso' said:
'Vorporeal' said:
'lulzfish' said:
'conso' said:

No, I'm neither a psp-fanboy (played more ds then psp-games and don't own a psp) nor do I think I'm too good for nintendo products, but I didn't find one single ds-game that would be worth all the time to make an emulator for this system, especially seeing that playing ds-games on the pandora will always take compromises. Bob's game isn't an argument cause it currently seems like a pandora port is more likely to happen then a ds-release ;)
That doesn't say I would be negative about someone making/porting a ds-emulator for the pandora, I just don't understand all the discussion.

I can name 2 off the top of my head, and if you ask me, I can probably name more:

Jump Super Stars
Jump Ultimate Stars

-God Ginrai

'conso' said:
Did you know that gaming tastes are very subjective? >_> DS is extremely popular, of course people want to play DS games on Pandora. A person such as yourself who thinks that no DS games are worth playing on an emulator is in the minority here and frankly your opinion doesn't really mean anything. You don't seem to have an issue with all the discussion from people who want to emulate 3DO and Jaguar, and those systems were commercial failures. DS, on the other hand...

If DS isn't worth making an emulator for then nothing is.

i don't think the ds and the pandora have the same audience and while the ds really is very popular, a lot of that popularity is because of it's focus on little kids. Seems like the DS has a very loud group of fanboys here, so I'll keep quiet. It's not like I wanted to stop anybody from making an emulator, anyway.

I think we can all agree that:
  1. Nobody is currently writing a DS emulator for the Pandora
  2. If somebody wanted to write one, the fact that one guy doesn't like the DS probably won't dissuade them.
  3. Anybody with the ability to write a DS emulator for the Pandora will have no problem whatsoever adding any number of different dual display formats.
Since those three points are all true, we can end the bickering now.

'Chip' said:
I think we can all agree that:
  1. Nobody is currently writing a DS emulator for the Pandora
  2. If somebody wanted to write one, the fact that one guy doesn't like the DS probably won't dissuade them.
  3. Anybody with the ability to write a DS emulator for the Pandora will have no problem whatsoever adding any number of different dual display formats.
Since those three points are all true, we can end the bickering now.
About #1. I know that's what we've been told, but a certain someone's demeanor keeps convincing me otherwise... <.<

-God Ginrai

'Xian Long' said:
oh come on. saying the ds is kiddie is like saying earthbound is kiddie.
didn't we all agree that my opinion on the DS doesn't matter? :p

Can someone just lock the thread now all meaningful discussion has finished and everyone is just bickering and trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back