Joystick Rage

robotmammal

Still Fresh
After a week of owning a GP2X its been utter delight, but for the last day its been sheer rage- joystick rage. My joystick is broken after just a week. It was crap anyway. Does anyone know if you can still buy decent Dpad modding kits or where to find instructions for a bit of the old DIY mods- or should I just save up for a F-200? ps. I've just realised that i've posted this in the emulation section, when it clearly has nothing to do with emulation. My apologies

Damn, mines been going good for well over a year. Is it the cap that broke? Or is the shaft wobbling around a lot?

If its the cap, you can easily find a replacement.

If its wobbling around, you can spin it back into place (try for a few minutes).

Blah said:
Damn, mines been going good for well over a year. Is it the cap that broke? Or is the shaft wobbling around a lot?

If its the cap, you can easily find a replacement.

If its wobbling around, you can spin it back into place (try for a few minutes).
The cap is fine and the shaft isnt wobbling at all, the 'up' direction just no longer works. I've read threads about how to fix it for a gp32 but i have a gp2x and have seen pictures of the joystick assembly- it pretty much self contained, so im just thinking about doing the Dpad mod. I got it off gp2xstore off ebay, i've heard its meant to have 12 mouths warranty- but if the joystick is going to mess up again i dont think i'll bother getting it fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
robotmammal said:
The cap is fine and the shaft isnt wobbling at all, the 'up' direction just no longer works. I've read threads about
Sounds like GPH's dodgy soldering again. If you are any good at soldering (or knows someone who is), then reflow the joystick connections and it'll be fine again usually (you may want to add a bit more solder to make it a bit more robust, too)

Squidge said:
robotmammal said:
The cap is fine and the shaft isnt wobbling at all, the 'up' direction just no longer works. I've read threads about
Sounds like GPH's dodgy soldering again. If you are any good at soldering (or knows someone who is), then reflow the joystick connections and it'll be fine again usually (you may want to add a bit more solder to make it a bit more robust, too)

Incidently, i am rather good at soldering- but i figured that if it was a soldering failure then the joystick would of been faulty straight out of the box, not after a week. But saying that- i am now seriously thinking about resoldering, regardless of voiding my warranty because either way i think im going to do a Dpad mod anyhows. Im going to use a gamecube Dpad pcb and pad. I've seen pictures of that done by Grahf to a gp2x- and it looks neater then straight vodka. Weirdly though, the joystick only started playing up when used different batteries- how this could affect it is beyond me though. (ps- and thinking about it, if the solder was dodgy then it would only take about a week to dislogde it fully, and sometimes the 'up' does work slightly leading to the conclusion that me applying force could sometimes short the solder link enough for it to work abit-sorry to doubt you at first Squidge!)

If the 'up' direction is faulty then wouldnt I have to look at the soldering on the bottom contacts?

Back