Tv-out With Joystick

Kibiru

Still Fresh
I've been considering getting something enabling TV-out and attatching a joystick to my GP2x, but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I doubt I'll do this due to monotary constraints, however, if it's not too expensive, it'd be fantastic to play fighting games in full screen with an arcade style joystick. What I'd like to know is what the best way to do this, the cheapest way to do this, and how much either would set me back. Every decent looking joystick seems to be $50 or more, although I'm not sure about how compatable most USB devices would be with the GP2X. I'm also not sure if I should get a breakout box, a cradle, or if there's a more affordable option than either. I'd really not like to spend more than $100, but I guess I might if there's no other way. I'd just like your advice before I go out buying things I don't need. I figgure at least a few people on this site have tried to do exactly what I already have, so I might as well rely on your experiences. In a related question, how much support do all the main emulators and applications have for TV-out?

The best of what I could find:
Joystick: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i-77-...ck-70-16qs.html
$50 is kind of a lot, so hopefully I can find something cheaper, but it still looks nice regardless. The site claims it works with windows based PCs, so I'm not sure if it would work on a linux based GP2x.
TV-out/USB: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-1f8w.html
$50 for a cradle seems like a bit much, the breakout box I saw was the same price and had more features, although it wasn't as slick, of course. At a total of $100 (plus possibly just as much in shipping)(that is assuming that these even work properly), I don't see myself going for this any time in the near future, but if there is a better way to do this that I am made aware of, maybe there's hope for this idea after all.

Edit: I have another question. Would it be possible to attatch storage devices to the USB ports in the cradle(or whatever else I use), and use them to store additional roms etc.? I'm assuming so but I'd like to check.

Kibiru said:
$50 for a cradle seems like a bit much, the breakout box I saw was the same price and had more features, although it wasn't as slick, of course. At a total of $100 (plus possibly just as much in shipping)(that is assuming that these even work properly), I don't see myself going for this any time in the near future, but if there is a better way to do this that I am made aware of, maybe there's hope for this idea after all.

Edit: I have another question. Would it be possible to attatch storage devices to the USB ports in the cradle(or whatever else I use), and use them to store additional roms etc.? I'm assuming so but I'd like to check.

The Cradle/BoB is the official way to let the EXT port features outside. You can attach USB drives, keyboards, mice or joysticks onto. Not everything works but the chance is ok (->just test it). Regarding a joystick... get a USB competition pro from speedlink - it should fulfill your joystick needs while not to cost a fortune (~25-35$) :lol:

If you adept with soldering you could build your own usb outlet (rather cheap) or buy one from www.arttaylor.com (only the big variant with powered usb hub is viable as the gp2x itself has not enough power to run external usb devices which costs ~25-30$ if i'm not mistaken).

I hope this was a good introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
StarG said:
Kibiru said:

The Cradle/BoB is the official way to let the EXT port features outside. You can attach USB drives, keyboards, mice or joysticks onto. Not everything works but the chance is ok (->just test it). Regarding a joystick... get a USB competition pro from speedlink - it should fulfill your joystick needs while not to cost a fortune (~25-35$) :lol:

If you adept with soldering you could build your own usb outlet (rather cheap) or buy one from www.arttaylor.com (only the big variant with powered usb hub is viable as the gp2x itself has not enough power to run external usb devices which costs ~25-30$ if i'm not mistaken).

I hope this was a good introduction.

Most of the info was good to hear, although that joystick wasn't what I was thinking of. I'm looking for an arcade style joystick, and I couldn't find anything on that arttaylor site. Thanks for the info anyway, though, it did help a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized it was arttaylor.co.uk (or something like that), and found what you were talking about. For a USB port/TV out cable it would take about $40 before shipping, so I guess that's $10 less, although at $90 plus shipping, I'm still not loving this idea.

Back