Need New Joystick, This One Sucks

volcomjerk

Still Fresh
Okay I've been looking all over the forums for a new type of joystick replacement. I've emailed DaveC with no reponse to try and buy one of his caps. Is there any place I can buy a better joystick cap? My fingers slip and they start to hurt after awhile worst joystick EVER in history.

Can anyone assist with this please? Maybe there are DIY instructions? I've searched the forums to find no help on this topic. Thanks!

You can get caps pretty much everywhere the GP2X is sold.

Examples are:

gp2x.co.uk
www.play-asia.com
www.lik-sang.com

Blah posted on Aug 13 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
You can get caps pretty much everywhere the GP2X is sold.

Examples are:

gp2x.co.uk
www.play-asia.com
www.lik-sang.com

I've actually ordered the alt joystick from play-asia and they sent me the same exact thing that's on my GP2X right now. with the little nubbing in the middle of the joystick, most retarded design ever.

I'll check out CraigX's design =) thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be glad you didn't have the original joystick. THAT was a terrible joystick. The new one is at least acceptable .

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 13 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
Just be glad you didn't have the original joystick. THAT was a terrible joystick. The new one is at least acceptable .
My goodness. The OP said that the "improved" joystick is the WORST stick he's ever used? I can't imagine how bad the original one was. Now I'm back to not wanting to get a GP2X :/

JaqMs posted on Aug 13 2006 at 08:11 PM said:
My goodness. The OP said that the "improved" joystick is the WORST stick he's ever used? I can't imagine how bad the original one was. Now I'm back to not wanting to get a GP2X :/

...The joystick (MKI BTW) is good enough for me to play almost any game, except fighting games. Why do I say fighting games?

C,qcb+Ax3,qcb+hcf+ABCD,D

QCB=quarter circle back (down to back), HCF=half circle forward (back to down to forward)

That is impossible on the GP2X. I really want to see someone do this combo in Gngeo2x with Kim in King of Fighters 2002 on the joystick with any cap, and not somehow break the joystick box.

JaqMs posted on Aug 13 2006 at 05:11 PM said:
Since when did you ever want a GP2X? The Mk. II joystick is fine for me, not perfect, but it does the job well.

Shikaku posted on Aug 13 2006 at 01:20 PM said:
...The joystick (MKI BTW) is good enough for me to play almost any game, except fighting games. Why do I say fighting games?

C,qcb+Ax3,qcb+hcf+ABCD,D

QCB=quarter circle back (down to back), HCF=half circle forward (back to down to forward)

That is impossible on the GP2X. I really want to see someone do this combo in Gngeo2x with Kim in King of Fighters 2002 on the joystick with any cap, and not somehow break the joystick box.
I think I might be able to pull that off. That said, I am not sure how to show it to you if I could :/. Which game is it?

The problem I have with the Mk. II joystick is the deadzone. It makes fast, accurate directions impossible to pull off.

I don't know what's wrong with you guys. Maybe you have fat uncoordinated fingers or something, but I find the stick to be really great for fighting games. I play Last Blade 2 non-stop and I can pull off any move and huge combos no problem. I actually think the stick suits fighting games a lot. I mean, hcf is a pretty natural motion on the stick. The only motion that was trickier to get on this stick was Fwd Dn DnFwd as in Dragon Punch from SF2.

So I'm saying the stick is actually really suited for fighting games and you should all play them and then one day play against me and get trampled.

I got a reply from DaveC. However he tells me the default M2 joystick is just as good as his design or others. I failt to see how this is so. My finger slips off so easily and begins to hurt after an hour of usage. I find that it needs to be more rubbery or needs more grip if anything.

I have trouble doing quick response moves for example in Megaman X to do the dash you can either his a button or press forward 2x. I prefer to use forward 2x so I can charge and jump without having to press a button. It's not that I can't perform the move properly I just find it harder to do than say a D-Pad. I also find that it sucks at diagnols since doing Ryu's Dragon punch is just out of the question. I can pull it off but not 100% like I can with a PS2 pad or Arcade stick.

I might try dipping it in some plasti-dip or even putting a gamecube controller rubber on it. I just feel like it needs more grip.

Back