Joystick 45 Degree Rotation ?

elecdrum

Still Fresh
Now we have the new mark 2 GP2x with the joystick module rotated 45 degrees to correct the terrible bias, are there plans for GPH to supply all us early supporters with a mod ?
I'd be happy to send it back if it could only be done by the uk distributers ( But also quite willing to do it myself ).
I dont like the joystick cap much but the diagonal bias ruins the GP2x for me.

i seriously doubt this is going to happen, they couldnt even foot us a free replacement cap, your not gunna get them opening 100's of 2x's to turn the stick around. would have been better in the actual thread (right below this one) where this was said too

You could do it yourself, just get a tiny, tiny drill bit, drill new holes in the circuit board (avoid all components, though), solder new traces to the new positions, and solder the joystick back in in the correct position.

elecdrum posted on May 2 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
Now we have the new mark 2 GP2x with the joystick module rotated 45 degrees to correct the terrible bias, are there plans for GPH to supply all us early supporters with a mod ?
I'd be happy to send it back if it could only be done by the uk distributers ( But also quite willing to do it myself ).
I dont like the joystick cap much but the diagonal bias ruins the GP2x for me.

It would be a very involved fix. They won't and could not afford to mod all units.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the new models have a stick with the correct ratio of up to up left?

Damn......

First the nand, then the cap, and now the joystick.

reallynotnick posted on May 3 2006 at 01:38 AM said:
So the new models have a stick with the correct ratio of up to up left?

Damn......

First the nand, then the cap, and now the joystick.
I'm just glad they've sorted these thing out before the "official" release. At least this way, when the new generation of owners and potential owners start to ask questions, we can say that things are now a lot better.

I'm just glad they've sorted these thing out before the "official" release.

The day they decided to sell it for cash to the public was the "Official Release", IMO.

Heard that too, the "official release" (don't know what GPH thinks that it) is in May. I don't understand it either but yeah... it sucks!

TelcoLou posted on May 2 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
I'm just glad they've sorted these thing out before the "official" release.

The day they decided to sell it for cash to the public was the "Official Release", IMO.

Quite dodgy if I say so myself.

do they make the smae type of stick assemblies with the pads switched around? that would give an easy fix wouldn't it?

jmetal88 posted on May 2 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
You could do it yourself, just get a tiny, tiny drill bit, drill new holes in the circuit board (avoid all components, though), solder new traces to the new positions, and solder the joystick back in in the correct position.
its a 6 layer pcb, i highly doubt you can drill it anyware without destroying a few tracks...

Vimacs posted on May 3 2006 at 10:12 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on May 2 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
its a 6 layer pcb, i highly doubt you can drill it anyware without destroying a few tracks...

It's not. It simply has a top and bottom layer ;)

Last edited:
TelcoLou posted on May 3 2006 at 03:08 AM said:
You're not alone. It isn't like it was a closed distribution, it's out there with a whole host of distributors, how much more official can you get.

Beh, I quite like the "first edition" text on my unit so I'm probably going to stick with it as it is. I may one day buy a second unit to get the improvements... Depends how much use I get out of it for the next 6 months.

Vimacs posted on May 3 2006 at 10:45 AM said:
EvilDragon posted on May 3 2006 at 08:24 AM said:
It's not. It simply has a top and bottom layer ;)

Are you sure on that?

I can say that there many vias on the GP2x's PCB what are blind. It'd suggest that there are more than just two layers. Look also at the SDRAM chips - there aren't enough visible traces to them from MMSP2 chipset imho.

For rotating the stick it could be done on older GP2x. But it would need a shim and it will add some height to it. But with 1mm PCB should be ok.

Have anyone pictures of the new stick arragement?
(was rotated clockwise or other way?)

Knoxximus posted on May 4 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
guilleml posted on May 3 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
why sticks work better rotating them?

Yeah, can somebody shed some light on the logic here?

Sure - just look at its internals:
pads9lo.jpg

It's clear that diagonals contact pads are much bigger than the ordinal ones. By rotating it by 45 degress the situation will be reversed. Usually you want easier ords than diags so handling should improve.

Back