Job Searching - I'm Doing It Wrong

A_SN

I know this is not the first topic I create related to job searching, but once again I need advice and once again the question is different.

Basically, right now, I'm looking for the type of job we all can do, that is, basic computerish stuff, whatever that is. A few weeks ago I found a job at SubWay because I was desperate for a job, and I got fired on my third day. Because of how painful (physically) that experience was (I found out that after 2 hours of standing up I get an excruciating pain in my lower back, so 9 hour shifts were tough. I think that's part of the reason why I got fired), I'm avoiding looking for jobs that require standing for hours or even lifting stuff (I hate that).

So right now I'm actively looking for a job in computer stores, the problem is, I think I'm doing it wrong. What I do is look up computer stores in the yellow pages, put them on my GPS, go there and give my CV to an employee, but the thing is, when I get there I don't find the stores. So so far I haven't given my resume to so many such stores, which makes me think that I just am doing this wrong.

So my question is this, how can I do this correctly? What's the most efficient way to do it, and what haven't I thought of, like, what other jobs would you try to apply for? For those who don't remember I recently emigrated to Ireland, I'm 21 (hence my unfamiliarity with the process of finding a job), I've been trained for software engineering and system administration but I have hardly any "commercial experience" and besides even in tech support (call centers, french speaking ones and all that) they seemingly have no vacation.

On a side note, I'm also considering tele work. This time, not just any work from home that anyone can do like "cold calling", I'm talking about very specific stuff I'm good at, like coding, particularly in the domains of sound and image processing. I would absolutely love it if I could be paid at developing quite a specific piece of code to accomplish to task required by some foreign company working in a very specific field, or even someone who makes VST plugins, i don't know, but how do I get about finding such telecommuting jobs where my particuliar kills could be exploited? I know a guy who works on his own making signal processing programs for two persons he personally knows, so that didn't help me finding out how to go about being hired for that sort of task. Any insight and pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Sphinxter said:
No dice there?

Well there are many such sites but in my experience they've proven useless, mostly for the fact that mostly everything goes through recruitment agencies and that these aren't too efficient it seems. I made the mistake to rely on them during the first phase of my quest for a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
Sphinxter said:
No dice there?

Well there are many such sites but in my experience they've proven useless, mostly for the fact that mostly everything goes through recruitment agencies and that these aren't too efficient it seems. I made the mistake to rely on them during the first phase of my quest for a job.

You could look for jobs where you deal with the public selling and repairing computers but I'd rather go where are few people and lots of computers... and money. Like banks, credit unions, mutual funds, insurance, brokerages, find a nice large carbon footprint, manufacturing maybe, anything automated. Automotive recyclers are big on automation these days and great places to work here anyway, someone has to maintain those satellite uplinks. Software companies tend to be sweatshops at the bottom of the list but worth a shot. Phone company if there not nationalized or maybe even the government, the machine needs cogs to crush the protelariat. Find those stores biggest customers.

I've been in this boat for about 4 years since I finished college. I spent 3 years in tech support and was absolutely miserable, and now I install network cable and I'm absolutely miserable. That "commercial experience" is the kicker. I was up for a sysadmin job at the ISP I used to work for, but they eliminated the position outright before hiring me due to budget reasons. It seems like even entry level jobs around here require 3-5 years of experience, but if I were working at a company for 3-5 years, I sure as shit wouldn't be looking for entry level jobs.

I know a few people who have gotten to great jobs via level 1 support roles. If it's a big company, you move on to level 2 or three, and in the backgroud you can get the company to pay for your networking certificates with Cisco or whoever.

I was in the same sort of position in 2003. I just graduated and all the software jobs had 100+ applicants, and even if I made it to the last few, I would be beaten by the smooth talker.

Eventually, I got a job in Information Security that recognised my internship at defence. Anyway, When I was unemployed, I did some work as a farm hand. You're right that geeks shouldn't need to do work like that.

Ravnos said:
I've been in this boat for about 4 years since I finished college. I spent 3 years in tech support and was absolutely miserable, and now I install network cable and I'm absolutely miserable. That "commercial experience" is the kicker. I was up for a sysadmin job at the ISP I used to work for, but they eliminated the position outright before hiring me due to budget reasons. It seems like even entry level jobs around here require 3-5 years of experience, but if I were working at a company for 3-5 years, I sure as shit wouldn't be looking for entry level jobs.
I'm surprised! With the Alberta job boom (which is where I assume you still live) you'd think they would beg you to work for them. But then again, Edmonton's not the kind of place for that kind of thing.

PlopperZ said:
Ravnos said:
I'm surprised! With the Alberta job boom (which is where I assume you still live) you'd think they would beg you to work for them. But then again, Edmonton's not the kind of place for that kind of thing.

The boom out here is great if you're an ironworker or a welder or a carpenter or whatever. This is still very much a blue collar labour market, though. There are more IT opportunities in Calgary (where I've been applying lately as well) but it's still not exactly Toronto.

Thanks for your replies, that gives me a better idea on where to look, but you still haven't told me HOW to look.

Sphinxter said:
A_SN said:
Thanks for your replies, that gives me a better idea on where to look, but you still haven't told me HOW to look.

Fresh haircut and wear a tie, they inspire confidence for some reason.

Very funny.

Seriously...

Sphinxter said:
A_SN said:

I got my last IT job wearing a T-shirt and jeans. They called me a "typical engineer" and I got the job :D

So maybe sometimes going in a suit makes them think "Geeks never look like this in real life, must be trying to cover something up."

Must say though, trousers shirt and tie is the norm, but for some places, it's over the top. Depends who the interviewer is.

Squidge said:
Sphinxter said:
A_SN said:

I got my last IT job wearing a T-shirt and jeans. They called me a "typical engineer" and I got the job :D

So maybe sometimes going in a suit makes them think "Geeks never look like this in real life, must be trying to cover something up."

Must say though, trousers shirt and tie is the norm, but for some places, it's over the top. Depends who the interviewer is.

A good point, whenever possible do recon. I was going to wear a dark blue three piece, matching kerchief and tie contrast to the shirt, shiny FBI shoes, the whole nine yards about a month ago, forgot the address and had to call the guy who set me up and asked, found out it was totally casual at the last second and went with dockers and a hawiian shirt instead, close one, I would have felt like a total 'tard had I suited up there.

I'm pretty sure you can apply for Junior Test Analyst jobs with little or no experience. Give it a shot - as after even a couple of years the contract rates can get pretty high.. (I always get my job offers in pubs or coffee bars!)

Good luck with the job hunting.

IBM has a huge complex (6 massive buildings) in Mulhuddart in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Get the 39 bus out from Hawkins Street in Dublin (near trinity college) to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, and get a taxi there to find it the first time (5 minute drive away from there). While at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, you will find PC World, Dixons, 3G, etc.

Don't forget that Dublin also has the European Centres for Yahoo (East Point Business Park, Dublin 1), Ebay (Blanchardstwon), Google (Grand Canal Dock & somewhere else I can't remember). All these places have software engineers, web designers and also loads of staff working on the call centres.

When you go into a shop looking for a job, you should ask to speak with the manager. Look presentable and you should hand your CV directly to the manager and advise you are willing to start immediately if they have any jobs at present.

I have not seen your CV, but in Ireland you usually have a section for personal details (name, address, date of birth, marital status etc) followed by educational history (starting with your most recent qualifications, name of college or school & what you obtained). The next section is your work experience history, again starting with the most recent one first. A short paragraph for each outlining your duties, and relevant dates.

The next section is for hobbies and past-times and finally we usually include a couple of references at the end (names, address and phone numbers of two people who can vouch for you!) I hope this is not patronising but I have seen some mainland European CV's at work and they are a totally different style to what Irish people usually do (maybe we are doing it wrong ...! :p )

I live in Dublin so if you want to ask for directions to anywhere just ask here or PM me - good luck!!

Also, The Independent newspaper has a good jobs section on Thursdays and The Irish Times has it's job section on Fridays.

I know people in top jobs who made up their CV and photocopied other peoples qualifications. Apparently this is very common now, these are probably the people you are up against.

Sad thing is this works. Once you get a job based on this you can then leave that job after a year and use the fact you had that job to get another and so on. You only have to do the scam once.

craigix said:
I know people in top jobs who made up their CV and photocopied other peoples qualifications. Apparently this is very common now, these are probably the people you are up against.

Sad thing is this works. Once you get a job based on this you can then leave that job after a year and use the fact you had that job to get another and so on. You only have to do the scam once.
Wow, OK. Should I like pretend I know C++ although I have barely followed a few tutorials and know C? Or is there anything even bigger I should do?

Ah if you can knock something together in C you can probably pick up c++ on the fly.

If I wanted a job and they asked if I knew x programming language i'd just say yes and google it if i ever needed to learn it. If you know one you can pick up any other one in a few hours.

Just tell them what they want to hear, the worst than can happen is you don't get the job.

sataniC Virus said:
Good luck with the job hunting.

IBM has a huge complex (6 massive buildings) in Mulhuddart in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Get the 39 bus out from Hawkins Street in Dublin (near trinity college) to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, and get a taxi there to find it the first time (5 minute drive away from there). While at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, you will find PC World, Dixons, 3G, etc.

Don't forget that Dublin also has the European Centres for Yahoo (East Point Business Park, Dublin 1), Ebay (Blanchardstwon), Google (Grand Canal Dock & somewhere else I can't remember). All these places have software engineers, web designers and also loads of staff working on the call centres.

When you go into a shop looking for a job, you should ask to speak with the manager. Look presentable and you should hand your CV directly to the manager and advise you are willing to start immediately if they have any jobs at present.

I have not seen your CV, but in Ireland you usually have a section for personal details (name, address, date of birth, marital status etc) followed by educational history (starting with your most recent qualifications, name of college or school & what you obtained). The next section is your work experience history, again starting with the most recent one first. A short paragraph for each outlining your duties, and relevant dates.

The next section is for hobbies and past-times and finally we usually include a couple of references at the end (names, address and phone numbers of two people who can vouch for you!) I hope this is not patronising but I have seen some mainland European CV's at work and they are a totally different style to what Irish people usually do (maybe we are doing it wrong ...! :p )

I live in Dublin so if you want to ask for directions to anywhere just ask here or PM me - good luck!!

Also, The Independent newspaper has a good jobs section on Thursdays and The Irish Times has it's job section on Fridays.
Wow I had no idea there was all that in the area! (I'm in Phibsboro). I looked up the Golden Pages for Dublin 1 and 2 and didn't see anything like Yahoo!

Anyways, do I go to these big places in a suit and hand my pimped out CV to the receptionist?

Also I bought the Evening Herald once and it had a job section but it was all pretty specific and non-IT related.

craigix said:
Ah if you can knock something together in C you can probably pick up c++ on the fly.

If I wanted a job and they asked if I knew x programming language i'd just say yes and google it if i ever needed to learn it. If you know one you can pick up any other one in a few hours.

Just tell them what they want to hear, the worst than can happen is you don't get the job.
Oh. Well I guess I indeed can pick up C++ easily, I wouldn't dare doing so with Java or C#, but I guess anyone can pick up VB.net quickly enough?

Back