Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
Long story short: I finished uni, got my BSc Computer Games Technology.
I've had one job interview with a games company and they basically said "You're awesome! You'll integrate with the team great! We need to see more 3D from you... come back later..."

So taking the feedback on board... I'm working part-time to leave enough time to keep coding. And as you may know this includes PandoraPanic! and Penjin.

So what I'm asking is what on earth would be a better job for me since I'm currently working a crappy pub job, annoying hours which mess up your eating and sleeping pattern , minimum wage, they give me more than part-time hours, etc?

Any suggestions? Any job offers? :rolleyes:

Javacat said:
Starbucks!
Ouch! Wrong answer on the first suggestion!:lol: The pub in which I work... it has a coffee machine... I hate that coffee machine... more than the pretentious coffees we have to make with it... I REALLY REALLY don't think I could stand just making pretentious coffees all day... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
sataniC Virus said:
Where do you live & where you prepared to travel to for work? Any shite you would DEFINITELY not do?
OK I'm currently in Barnsley. I have no car, so it is public transport or walking.

Hmmm I don't want to work in a sports shop again. I don't want to make coffee!... I'd rather not be a waiter again because that was way too much stress for the pay.(talking nose bleeds here... I never have nose bleeds)

Basically I'd like to do something more suited to a "geek".

Working at a game or electronics store. They should have pretty steady hours and shouldn't take any sleep away from you as they are generally closed early.

PokeParadox said:
sataniC Virus said:
Where do you live & where you prepared to travel to for work? Any shite you would DEFINITELY not do?
OK I'm currently in Barnsley. I have no car, so it is public transport or walking.

Hmmm I don't want to work in a sports shop again. I don't want to make coffee!... I'd rather not be a waiter again because that was way too much stress for the pay.(talking nose bleeds here... I never have nose bleeds)

Basically I'd like to do something more suited to a "geek".

Ok, I'm not from the area but a quick google throws up the following:

http://www.1job.co.uk/town_compact.php/Barnsley

http://www.jobsinbarnsley.net/

http://www.britishjobs.net/CountyTown.aspx...kshire/Barnsley

Hope you find something soon but remember in this day and age you can't be too choosy over what you want!! (found out yesterday 15% of my company is being let go and we thought we were doing well ... :( )

Hey PokeParadox congrats on your graduation :)

More computer related: what about computers maintenance or even something from home like taking projects on rentacoder.com?

Edit: or what about working in a library, or if your English editing skills are exceptional you can offer you services as a proof reader.

sehs33 said:

More computer related: what about computers maintenance or even something from home like taking projects on rentacoder.com?

Edit: or what about working in a library, or if your English editing skills are exceptional you can offer you services as a proof reader.
I see you hinted yourself as a customer :p

sell drugs.
mushrooms?
spores are legal, i believe, in the UK. mail or online order or trade for them
pick up some bulk substrate from any farms on the outskirts of the nearest suburb.
pick up a pressure cooker or canner at a thrift store or flea sale, or buy a new one
get some medium gauge syringes. 16 gage holding 10cc (10ml) works well
use guides on the internet or books
dry and put in pill form, or just dry
go to a rave or something and meet up with lsd dealers and shit and get connections for customers

PoisonedV said:
sell drugs.
mushrooms?
pick up some bulk substrate from any farms on the outskirts of the nearest suburb.
pick up a pressure cooker or canner at a thrift store or flea sale, or buy a new one
go to a rave or something and meet up with lsd dealers and shit and get connections for customers

Umm....

Experience?

Peter R said:
PokeParadox said:
Any suggestions? Any job offers? :rolleyes:
Become a gigolo.

Edit: Who the hell invented this word? It sounds absolutely ridiculous!

Hmmm I don't have the metaphorical balls for that... although at least I'd be getting some mushu :lol:!

aaron11193 said:
Peter R said:
Edit: Who the hell invented this word? It sounds absolutely ridiculous!
:lol: +1!

Working in a games/computer store sounds like a pretty good job :)

EDIT: Added '!'

I think I could do that quite well, if I could ever find any vacancies!

sehs33 said:

Looking at that site... I'm hoping this could work out, working to my own schedule, etc, not having to travel... I'll certainly see where it takes me.
I've been asked to proof read before (my friend's dissertation)... The English language has too many "exceptions". When you're trying to see if something's correct, or sounds correct, you often end p confusing yourself by over analysing it... I'd rather debug code than debug English :lol: Wouldn't rule it out though.

PoisonedV said:
sell drugs.
mushrooms?
Nah couldn't do this... because when it got to the rave stage, I'd just end up dancing all night instead of doing my job... B)

Thanks to all suggestions!

I don't know if PoisonedV was joking or not, but depending on how afraid of the law you are, selling drugs isn't a bad idea. Not coke or H or anything like that, because even though the money is really good, it's fucking dangerous and the jail time is considerable if you get caught. Weed though, I used to sell that when I was in college and it paid the rent. You have to sell a lot to make good money at it, but if you're moving a few ounces a week, you don't smoke your supply, and your living expenses aren't crazy you can get by on it.

Otherwise, you're pretty much looking at service industry jobs. If you can get on in tech support at a smaller company, it's not a bad experience. In my experience, the call volumes at smaller companies are less insane, the relationships between co-workers are tighter than at a cube farm, and management is usually less shitty. Avoid big outsourcing companies like Convergys and the like, avoid big ISPs and software companies, basically avoid big. Those places all have crazy turnover, so management will see you as a number, not a name, and they place a bigger emphasis on taking a lot of calls than actually providing good customer service. Customers at those places also tend to think of your company as a faceless mass and they will have no problem with shitting all over you. The whole thing makes it incredibly easy to burn out very quickly, I know this from experience. But a smaller shop is a different animal and though you'll deal with dicks from time to time, you get that at any job.

Back