Suggestions For A New Job

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
Javacat said:
Starbucks!
Ouch! Wrong answer on the first suggestion!:lol: The pub in which I work... it has a coffee machine... I hate that coffee machine... more than the pretentious coffees we have to make with it... I REALLY REALLY don't think I could stand just making pretentious coffees all day... :huh:

If you can't stand that, I Especially don't think you could stand for the pretentious freakin yuppies that go along with that at Starbucks!!

DSR

dsraa said:
PokeParadox said:
Javacat said:
Starbucks!
Ouch! Wrong answer on the first suggestion!:lol: The pub in which I work... it has a coffee machine... I hate that coffee machine... more than the pretentious coffees we have to make with it... I REALLY REALLY don't think I could stand just making pretentious coffees all day... :huh:

If you can't stand that, I Especially don't think you could stand for the pretentious freakin yuppies that go along with that at Starbucks!!

DSR

Also, DSR, yuppie is not the preferred nomenclature. Hipster, please.
/walter

So it really is true that all you need to pass a modern degree is 'Do you want fries with that?'

I thought it was an urban myth :huh:

Become a killer, or abduct people and sell them as a slaves or by internal organs.

Another vote for selling drugs here. You live in the UK drug laws are pretty light, especially if you have no previous convictions.

In all serious, are you willing to relocate for a job? If you are that makes it a lot easier to find a job in the Games Industry. How is your vector and matrix math? Having no proof of 3D work seems to be a poor excuse for rejecting a candidate if they can demonstrate they can work in the domain during the interview.

Here is a list of Games Companies 'near' your area if you are interested: http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=locat...;query=Midlands

Unfortunately, EA isn't hiring at the moment or I would volunteer to put your CV through.

yaustar said:
In all serious, are you willing to relocate for a job? If you are that makes it a lot easier to find a job in the Games Industry. How is your vector and matrix math? Having no proof of 3D work seems to be a poor excuse for rejecting a candidate if they can demonstrate they can work in the domain during the interview.

Here is a list of Games Companies 'near' your area if you are interested: http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=locat...;query=Midlands

Unfortunately, EA isn't hiring at the moment or I would volunteer to put your CV through.

Yup I would be willing to relocate, even internationally since I have a few languages under my belt, however rusty they are.

I have studied vectors, and matrices, but being honest, right now I would consider myself to be a little rusty, and I need to read up a few things. I think finishing the 3D aspect of my engine will give me cause for enough revision... ha ha.

Thanks for the link, this thread has seemed to be a good idea. :)

EDIT: In my interview I did kinda "lock-up" for a moment... it was easier once I was talking about optimising code and bug-fixing the code samples they were providing.

Peter R said:
Sort of on the topic of this thread. I have no idea what I will do when I graduate from my degree :S
Neither do I. What degree are you getting?

PokeParadox said:
Yup I would be willing to relocate, even internationally since I have a few languages under my belt, however rusty they are.

I have studied vectors, and matrices, but being honest, right now I would consider myself to be a little rusty, and I need to read up a few things. I think finishing the 3D aspect of my engine will give me cause for enough revision... ha ha.

Thanks for the link, this thread has seemed to be a good idea. :)

EDIT: In my interview I did kinda "lock-up" for a moment... it was easier once I was talking about optimising code and bug-fixing the code samples they were providing.
If you go to the misc section of this thread, there is a series of posts on what (subjectively) should go into a programmers portfolio which is worth a read.

Keep trying, as long as your 3D math is up to scratch (being able to apply the math to actual problems), I am sure companies will look over the lack of a 3D demo.

In the thread linked above, there is also a mock programmer test link somewhere.

If I hear of any graduate positions going (at any company), I drop you a PM.

Again thanks! :) Another shift at that pub tomorrow(just heading to bed now...) but I'm going to start afresh to getting into my career! Thanks for the links and thanks for your own story, it's very inspiring!

But now good night GP32X!

Peter R said:
PoisonedV said:
Peter R said:
Sort of on the topic of this thread. I have no idea what I will do when I graduate from my degree :S
Neither do I. What degree are you getting?

Computer Science.

I'm in organic chemistry, and I have no idea what to do after I get out. Hopefully i can just get some lab monkey job at the university

Back