Release Java PND

I've made an update to the pnd: http://rebirthofxeen...andora/java.pnd

Now first thing the install asks is if you'd like to use the Oracle Java or the Open Java. Open JDK is simple to use, no additional work required. Getting the Oracle JDK installed is... a little trickier. Due to licensing restrictions I can't just include it, the user needs to download it themselves.

Go to http://www.oracle.co...oads/index.html and choose "Previous Releases". Unless they've made an update to the ARM release since I posted this, it is only available from Java Release 7 update 6 (if you just go straight for latest, that is update 7 (or later, depending on when this is read) and may not have an ARM version)

So you get to the download page, find the 7u6 Linux ARM release, download it, extract the tar.gz into your pandora/appdata/java directory on your SD card, and rename the resulting "jdk1.7.0_06" to simply "jre". It will complain about not being able to extract some files which are symlinks. That shouldn't be a problem, I hope.

So here you go. Suggestions on how to make the "install" process better are welcome. Test known jar files. Test PND'd up java applications.

Once installed, switching between Oracle and OpenJDK is pretty easy: "touch ~/.useopenjdk" to use OpenJDK, "rm ~/.useopenjdk" to go back to Oracle. Or use the installer again, it does that for you, but a little command line work is probably faster.

Good to hear you released this support

FYI... The Oracle Java enables the Game JCloisterzone I ported from barely able to run one AI opponent clocked at 1Ghz and sporadically crashing to running 6 AI opponents at once at 600mhz without breaking a sweat and I haven't seen it crash once....

New upgraded JCloisterZone coming soon, but with a Disclaimer it needs Oracle Java for stability..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure the oracle ARM jdk is a... jdk. Seems more a jre ?
It is just the runtime, no developer tools to be found, but it is still under the jdk section for some reason. I don't tell Oracle how to do their job and they don't tell me how to do mine.

Maybe we can ask them to provide a .pnd ?
Highly unlikely, but maybe they are willing to grant ED the distributon rights ?

Damn, why do I have to create a totally useless account only to download a stupid runtime environment ?

Minicraft now works. There are two versions I tried. InfinityTale works and the buttons can be easily remapped for the gaming controls but the screen is a bit big. MiniLoader works except keys are the default of x and c (can be temporarily fixed with xmodmap).

I tried JDiskReport, Night Vision and GeoGebra from the repo with the Oracle Java and they run flawlessly. I even think GeoGebra runs faster/more fluid than on my PC. Pretty impressive!

JDiskreport, FreeCol and JCloisterZone are working fine with the Oracle runtime environment - speedup in JCloisterZone is indeed very noticable

Awesome. I'm also changing the install script to look for the .tar.gz file at the root of the SD card and it'll do the extracting itself. That's about as easy as I can make it, I think. Now that Oracle requires a log in to download there's really no (legal) way to get it except user intervention.

Odd - I don't have to log in to download the tar.gz file - just have to accept the license by clicking the radio button.

Awesome. I'm also changing the install script to look for the .tar.gz file at the root of the SD card and it'll do the extracting itself. That's about as easy as I can make it, I think. Now that Oracle requires a log in to download there's really no (legal) way to get it except user intervention.
Great! I was just about to suggest that.

Odd - I don't have to log in to download the tar.gz file - just have to accept the license by clicking the radio button.
Strange, when I tried last night they forced me to login. Edit: They still do...

I don't have to either, but that's because I logged in once and checked the "remember me" box. Try clearing your cookies and see if it asks you to log in then.

Strange, when I tried last night they forced me to login. Edit: They still do...
I don't have to either, but that's because I logged in once and checked the "remember me" box. Try clearing your cookies and see if it asks you to log in then.

Not logged in, never created an account:

notloggedin.png

Just sayin', like.

D.

Ditto - Just downloaded that from Oracle site, never asked me to log in or create an account.

Oh hey, where'd that come from? Ok, apparently you don't have to go to Previous Releases, you can just click the "jdk" button and it's there.

I was probably clicking the jre button, I don't see it there.

It doesn't. It checks for certain cookie values and requires an ssl connection.

I was able to wget it from my desktop by supplying the right cookie, but the standard wget in Angstrom doesn't have ssl support. I guess I could try building wget from source and include it in the PND...

I've updated the repo with the latest java.pnd. And then I updated it again because I realized I forgot to change the release number. The user will, unfortunately, have to manually download the package from oracle.com but the installer informs them exactly where to get it, and once the .tar.gz file is on the SD card the installer will take care of the rest.

I also updated the java.pnd on my aforementioned webserver, entirely as an experiment that no one else should download ever, especially not in the next hour while it is uploading.

We're up to oracle "jdk"-7u10 now..

I think we could probably bundle it since they have a section about redistribution in the license... "C. LICENSE TO DISTRIBUTE SOFTWARE"  you have to add significant functionality, I think the PND and installer qualifies ;)  and really, Oracle will not care about this

Here's what it says:

C. LICENSE TO DISTRIBUTE SOFTWARE. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and restrictions and exceptions set forth in the README File, including, but not limited to the Java Technology Restrictions and Limitations on Redistribution of these Supplemental Terms, Oracle grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that (i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software, (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that: (a) is a complete, unmodified reproduction of this Agreement; or ( B) protects Oracle's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement and that includes the notice set forth in Section H, and (vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Oracle and its licensors from and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software. The license set forth in this Section C does not extend to the Software identified in Section G.

Not sure what the supposed README file says, so let's just ignore that bit, shall we?  Basically at a cursory reading that says "go ahead and redistribute if you're adding value".  We are adding value, so let's re-distribute it.  Our PNDs don't have to be open source like with Debian, where they download all this stuff in the post-install scripts.

I guess your previous post means you already might have done this.  But I'm saying I reckon it's legit, and put it on the repo.  Gotta love a license agreement with sunglasses smiley!

Wget can be easily built with ssl support. I had it uploaded somewhere, too but can't remember.

Back