Release Java PND

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by WizardStan, Nov 21, 2010.

1. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Good to hear you released this support

FYI... The Oracle Java enables the Game JCloisterzone I ported from barely able to run one AI opponent clocked at 1Ghz and sporadically crashing to running 6 AI opponents at once at 600mhz without breaking a sweat and I haven't seen it crash once....

New upgraded JCloisterZone coming soon, but with a Disclaimer it needs Oracle Java for stability..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
  2. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

It is just the runtime, no developer tools to be found, but it is still under the jdk section for some reason. I don't tell Oracle how to do their job and they don't tell me how to do mine.

3. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

Maybe we can ask them to provide a .pnd ?

4. thatgui

thatgui Advanced Member

Highly unlikely, but maybe they are willing to grant ED the distributon rights ?

Damn, why do I have to create a totally useless account only to download a stupid runtime environment ?

5. apersonthinks

apersonthinks Member

Minicraft now works. There are two versions I tried. InfinityTale works and the buttons can be easily remapped for the gaming controls but the screen is a bit big. MiniLoader works except keys are the default of x and c (can be temporarily fixed with xmodmap).

6. Lafazar

Lafazar Member

I tried JDiskReport, Night Vision and GeoGebra from the repo with the Oracle Java and they run flawlessly. I even think GeoGebra runs faster/more fluid than on my PC. Pretty impressive!

7. thatgui

thatgui Advanced Member

JDiskreport, FreeCol and JCloisterZone are working fine with the Oracle runtime environment - speedup in JCloisterZone is indeed very noticable

8. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Awesome. I'm also changing the install script to look for the .tar.gz file at the root of the SD card and it'll do the extracting itself. That's about as easy as I can make it, I think. Now that Oracle requires a log in to download there's really no (legal) way to get it except user intervention.

9. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

Odd - I don't have to log in to download the tar.gz file - just have to accept the license by clicking the radio button.

10. Lafazar

Lafazar Member

Great! I was just about to suggest that.

Strange, when I tried last night they forced me to login. Edit: They still do...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  11. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

I don't have to either, but that's because I logged in once and checked the "remember me" box. Try clearing your cookies and see if it asks you to log in then.

12. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

Not logged in, never created an account:

[​IMG]

Just sayin', like.

D.

13. Asmo

Asmo Advanced Member

Ditto - Just downloaded that from Oracle site, never asked me to log in or create an account.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  14. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Oh hey, where'd that come from? Ok, apparently you don't have to go to Previous Releases, you can just click the "jdk" button and it's there.

I was probably clicking the jre button, I don't see it there.

15. dgame

dgame Active Member

16. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

17. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

It doesn't. It checks for certain cookie values and requires an ssl connection.

I was able to wget it from my desktop by supplying the right cookie, but the standard wget in Angstrom doesn't have ssl support. I guess I could try building wget from source and include it in the PND...

18. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

I've updated the repo with the latest java.pnd. And then I updated it again because I realized I forgot to change the release number. The user will, unfortunately, have to manually download the package from oracle.com but the installer informs them exactly where to get it, and once the .tar.gz file is on the SD card the installer will take care of the rest.

I also updated the java.pnd on my aforementioned webserver, entirely as an experiment that no one else should download ever, especially not in the next hour while it is uploading.

19. sswam

sswam Advanced Member

We're up to oracle "jdk"-7u10 now..

I think we could probably bundle it since they have a section about redistribution in the license... "C. LICENSE TO DISTRIBUTE SOFTWARE"  you have to add significant functionality, I think the PND and installer qualifies ;)  and really, Oracle will not care about this

Here's what it says:

C. LICENSE TO DISTRIBUTE SOFTWARE. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and restrictions and exceptions set forth in the README File, including, but not limited to the Java Technology Restrictions and Limitations on Redistribution of these Supplemental Terms, Oracle grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that (i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software, (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that: (a) is a complete, unmodified reproduction of this Agreement; or ( B) protects Oracle's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement and that includes the notice set forth in Section H, and (vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Oracle and its licensors from and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software. The license set forth in this Section C does not extend to the Software identified in Section G.

Not sure what the supposed README file says, so let's just ignore that bit, shall we?  Basically at a cursory reading that says "go ahead and redistribute if you're adding value".  We are adding value, so let's re-distribute it.  Our PNDs don't have to be open source like with Debian, where they download all this stuff in the post-install scripts.

I guess your previous post means you already might have done this.  But I'm saying I reckon it's legit, and put it on the repo.  Gotta love a license agreement with sunglasses smiley!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  20. mcobit

mcobit Advanced Member

Wget can be easily built with ssl support. I had it uploaded somewhere, too but can't remember.