Is tech overtaking current Pyra CPU board design?

I'm really looking forward to the improvements that the new amdgpu kernel module will bring -
you mean the one they have been talking about for years and failed to deliver anything? AMD's people have a lot of mouth, but not much to show in that department. Their proprietary Linux drivers suck bad, are not being improved, and their new kernel module is just hype at this stage. 

I've never had anything but a miserable experience with ATI/AMD Linux drivers an AMD processor could kill the Pyra dead...

I've never had anything but a miserable experience with ATI/AMD Linux drivers an AMD processor could kill the Pyra dead...
If you can source any good SOC from AMD in small batches at reasonable price with support, then I bet ED will be happy.Hint : he tried hard, but was ignored at best...

If you can source any good SOC from AMD in small batches at reasonable price with support, then I bet ED will be happy.
Hint : he tried hard, but was ignored at best...
Could be a close escape...!

Did you try the open source drivers with a moderately recent kernel? YMMV

of course, but I and many other people I know of would actually make the

opposite statement.

you mean the one they have been talking about for years and failed to deliver anything? AMD's people have a lot of mouth, but not much to show in that department. Their proprietary Linux drivers suck bad, are not being improved, and their new kernel module is just hype at this stage.
This kernel module specifically was announced just last October and is currently under heavy development, everything before that was indeed nothing to be really excited over, work on it just started at that point. It will only support GCN 1.2 and newer, which means the Radeon R9 285 is the only card so far that will be supported. Developing this stuff from scratch for a new architecture takes some time, especially if you run into legal issues that require additional reviews from their legal department.Yes, they did planned to introduce this approach much earlier, but the code ATI left them with was simply a horrible mess, according to one of their developers they tried but failed miserably - if you think the fglrx driver is crap now, you haven't seen how bad it was before AMD took over. I still remember trying to set up a 2nd monitor with Xinerama because it didn't even support RandR 1.2... BTW: One of the reasons this driver still performs so bad with some games is that it is still mainly developed for the main audience on Linux: professional use cases like CAD.

You guys should check out the current state of the free driver, a LOT happened within the last years. There's already full OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 support, proper power management and UVD support via VDPAU, OpenMAX and VA-API - even Direct3D 9 support went mainline by now, though the wine developers refuse to support it (working patches exist - with impressive results). As far as I can tell from lurking in Ubuntu forums for years it seems to be even more stable than Intel's driver (which appears to introduce some mayor regressions every now and then).

Pyra development takes a very long time, it's pretty normal that new technologies are coming during such a development phase. That also happens with big Consoles, the "Next Gen" stuff is mostly "Current Gen" if not "Last Gen" when it comes out.

There will be always brand new stuff that will then be used for future developments. Nothing to be worried about.

Oh, matches to the theme, this mysrterious announcement also smells like some "mobile stuff" that will happen soon:
OMG HλLF-LIFE 3 confirmed and exclusive to nVIDIA Shield 2 portable!! :D
Magic 8 ball says....

Steam Shield clam shell 'tablet' with dual analog nubs, 6 button game pad and keyboard with 4 shoulder buttons running a Cherry Trail SoC plus Nvidia discrete mobile graphics and Steam OS (Linux).

My magic 8 ball, though verbose, is rarely accurate.

[...]

You guys should check out the current state of the free driver, a LOT happened within the last years. There's already full OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 support, proper power management and UVD support via VDPAU, OpenMAX and VA-API - even Direct3D 9 support went mainline by now, though the wine developers refuse to support it (working patches exist - with impressive results). As far as I can tell from lurking in Ubuntu forums for years it seems to be even more stable than Intel's driver (which appears to introduce some mayor regressions every now and then).
Agreed, specially on the bold part. I don't know where this mystification of the awesomeness of open source Intel GPU drivers comes from, but they have been far more buggy and quirky than the radeon drivers for quite some time now, and they usually go their special way on many things (VAAPI, non-G3D, not yet fully DRI3 compatible, ...). They are ok, and they are open, but that's about it. The best about them is the development Intel does for mesa in general, which IS quite awesome.

...well odd indeed I've been gaming and developing OpenGL core profile, GLES and webGL apps on my laptop and had nothing but faultless proformance, it was certainly a few years ago (literally 2) last time I tried an AMD product so I'm prepared to believe there had been some improvement but it was so shockingly bad, it will have had to come a very long way to even aproach the open source driver for intel GPU's (I can't say what the windows driver for Intel is like)

Magic 8 ball says....

Steam Shield clam shell 'tablet' with dual analog nubs, 6 button game pad and keyboard with 4 shoulder buttons running a Cherry Trail SoC plus Nvidia discrete mobile graphics and Steam OS (Linux).

My magic 8 ball, though verbose, is rarely accurate.
It's good to dream. I think that sounds about as likely as them shipping a product with a Radeon.

Back