Is Mario Kart DS the best Mario Kart ever?

Is Mario Kart DS the best Mario Kart ever made?

• Total voters

I got pretty good at the Wii U version in an hour or so, and played online a bit.  I wasn't coming out first, but I wasn't coming out near last either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never played it, but if you send me a copy I will give it a shot.  Or we can wait until I buy it, if I ever do.  I don't personally own any 3DS games (and a lot of my DS and GBA games are missing).

in my opinion Double Dash has been the best so far, they should do Double Dash 2 for the new Nintendo console, or at least release the old version on eShop

Well, i only can play the Handheld Mario Karts or the on Pandora emulatet ones like the SNES, or N64 One

So i dosnt know the GC Mario Kart...

Mario Kart 7 have also some nice features like the Para Glider and Submarine Courses.

But whell i played DS much more...

Which is the one with the apes? Oh yeah; Diddy Kong Racing. That's the best Mario Kart game!  :p   :D   :lol:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed.
For me this has bested MK in every way possible. Like most "N" games, MK really no longer offers anything new, it's just a new cash grab every few years. DS MK was the last title they made that seemed to have actual effort put in to. There are so many "N" staples, that other publishers have taken and improved on in recent years, it's not even funny. The one thing they have always had, was their great 1st party titles, now they no longer have that really, and most of their games have become average at best.

Which is the one with the apes? Oh yeah; Diddy Kong Racing. That's the best Mario Kart game!  :p   :D   :lol:
DKR is a perfect example of what I mentioned above. This was really MK taken to the next level, and I have still not seen "N" improve on what Rare did here. Both of these games are MK done better then MK. 

And for me personally, the DS MK was the best of the bunch, as it had the best single player experience of any of the titles for me personally. Why "N" removed and haven't returned to the single player challenges of the DS defies all logic to me, but "N" hasn't done anything logical in a very long time, so no surprise really. 

Chris

It could be argued that SSASRT takes it a little too far away from Kart racing into a thinly-veiled hardcore racer. Good grief it can be tricky, and getting a perfect boost streak and cheesing every jump with sideways rolls is an artform. If you nail it and stay up front, though, that's where you'll stay.

I had to stop playing after I got into "The Zone". The rush was too much to handle and I couldn't sleep after playing it.

The little touches like being able to boost jump off waves in the boat sections, and just how much switching into flight mode will screw up your game until you master it... just perfection! Although the brick-wall learning curve tends to put the Mario Kart crowd off.

It's basically the best racer I've ever played, and probably my most enjoyed since the likes of Ridge Racer, Total Drivin' and Destruction Derby 2, haha... oh and Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer. I think I have bad taste in racing games.

I think if they had continued the DS single player challenges into the 3DS version that would have made it a much more complete package!

I think if they had continued the DS single player challenges into the 3DS version that would have made it a much more complete package!
Agreed, but "N" has gotten very lazy in recent years. Anything that is great in a game, and should be continued in future titles, just never happens with them. Why is it so hard for them to take what works, and get rid of what doesn't, is beyond me. They just completely rework great titles, and often times ruin them for the fanbase that was once there, and then the games now suck in general, so there is no new audience to be had either. It's almost like they have some dart board way of making decisions over there, as some of the choices are just so "broken".

Hell, they have removed the bombs from Star Fox  Zero. I haven't played the new game, so maybe it was for the better, but was the bombs broke in the first two games? They are a key part of gameplay, and the only way to 100% certain levels. Do they have any idea what a focus group is? And no, that doesn't mean taking it to different departments within "N" and asking for feedback from other employees(which I'm sure is exactly what they do) :p

Chris

In my eyes Mario Kart DS is vastly superior to the original Super Mario Kart, MK64, or Super Circuit. I haven't played the ones on Gamecube, Wii, Wii U or 3DS but I'd be kind of surprised if they weren't all better than MKDS. It is kind of funny though how much MKDS emulated in highres looks visually similar to Mario Kart 7.

I haven't played the ones on Gamecube, Wii, Wii U or 3DS but I'd be kind of surprised if they weren't all better than MKDS.
There not better really. They all offer something new(gimmick), but the DS game is really where everything came together right in one place. The other games may look better, or offer better online, but the DS is the most robust overall package of the bunch.

Chris

My official favourite now is...

mario_kart_8_deluxe_switch_cover_new.jpg

MKDS is so broken that's make the game pure garbage for competitive gameplay. So it is not the best.

Back