Is Mario Kart DS the best Mario Kart ever?

Is Mario Kart DS the best Mario Kart ever made?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Please vote now!!!

2481814_o.gif

Inspired by this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Close, but no :)

I think Mario GP2 for the triforce arcade is the best one, sadly its unemulated, but it rocks.

As far as emulated mario karts go that run on the pandora, i would say the DS one ranks 1 with n64 one.

I'dd say no or tie with N64..

the DS version is generally better but the unfair blue shell tend to make it less enjoyable than N64 one

I would say the original but it has a few game play bugs that ruin the actual experience.

Me and my 5 year old nephew play Mario Kart Double Dash on the GameCube all the time and we both enjoy it immensely, so that would have to be my answer :)

Nothing unfair about the blue shell, imo.
Somthing that mitigates skill with a 100% success rate is unfair, in my opinion. A perfect driver can lose to someone who has only just picked up the game for the first time if the odds are right and blue shells are abundant, and there is absolutely nothing the perfect driver can do to prevent it. At least with red and green shells you have a chance of avoiding them. That's all I ask, some way to not necessarily get hit with the blue shell. Or make the distribution more even, instead of only the last place person ever getting one. If I'm in first place and get a blue shell, I might not feel so bad when I get hit with one because I can always fire back and reclaim my place. More to the point, I guess, anything that guarantees one person a distinct advantage over another is unfair.

I would probably say "YES". Online multiplayer was broking, but at the end of the day, Mario Kart multiplayer has ALWAYS been broken in some way :p

This one had the best single player experiance for me personally. Mario Kart 7 to me was just boring and more of the same Nintendo "going back to the well" gameplay.

Online functioned better than MKDS, but overall I just found it to be bland. I guess for me MK has just ran it's course and unless Nintendo retools it at some point, I doubt I'll ever buy another version again.

Chris

It's avoidable though.

on the DS version? to my knowledge you have only two way to evade them... they might be stopped by some "portal" (not sure) or you might just avoid being or being near the first...

C'mon guys the best Mario Kart is original N64. :D This was also the first version I played a lot of.

It has the analog stick which makes for more precise cornering.

The DS version is nice but I am not sold on the Dpad to steer thing.

Same thing with the SNES version I can't seem to get used to the steering mechanism. Any tips?

As for blue shells the best way to avoid them in MK64 is to hit the brakes and fall back into second place and stay out of the middle of the road.

I agree the GP2 arcade one was awesome, but my Best Mario kart experience came with Double Dash, used to hold competitions in my old store with that game - ill tell you now I'm utterly useless at karting games (except for crash team racing) so I kept losing even to the new kids.

You can avoid them if you have a mushroom. First place doesn't get mushrooms. If you know it's coming, you can start a powerslide and boost away from it, but typically by the time you're aware of it it's already too late: you need to already be in a powerslide if you're going to avoid it.

So fair enough, there are ways to avoid it, but nothing that can really be used consistently applied by anyone other than the most extreme experts (that spend the entire race in one perpetual powerslide)

I did not get on well with Mario Kart DS. As a game, it's solid, but its controls are horrific - they were clearly designed by a crustacean.

For those unfamiliar with it, MKDS uses B for brake, and A for accelerate (these buttons are placed diagonally at the far edge of the console), and is designed very much around drifting and a trick called "snaking" (the button for this is the right shoulder button, just above the aforementioned action buttons), without which you will not get very far. This requires you to hold your hand in an utterly bizarre "crab claw" fashion in order to play, and this is enormously painful for me. Moreover, it cannot be remapped. The handling is also VERY stiff compared to all other installments, no matter what character or kart you use, and I didn't like this about it, either. It's just not for me.

This said, my vote goes to Mario Kart 7 - I've had more fun out of this one than any other Mario Kart game (though Mario Kart Wii comes very close - I've logged a downright terrifying amount of hours on that over the years :lol: ), and very much appreciate how the controls were fixed up so that I can actually play it at all. It's unfortunately still missing a remapping option, but the fixed controls are pretty much what I would have gone with anyway, so this is not an issue for me, personally. I like the handling, I really like the kart-customising options (they're somewhat reminiscent of those in the criminally-overlooked Mega Man Battle & Chase, although MK7's aren't quite as deep), I love the courses, and I've gotten on well with the online play (although this has never been especially important to me - this is why I missed the period when exploits were being used online; I've only played online two or three times in total - twice shortly after release, and once a couple of weeks ago). My only real gripe is that Diddy Kong is missing, so I just play as my Mii, or as Luigi. :p So, yes, Mario Kart 7 for me. :)

Back