is it possible to organize icons on the desktop

ahahah

i have installed an application that create 10 icons at the same time on the desktop.

i need only one of them, so i opened the desktop folder and deleted the 9 i don't use to have more space for icons already here.

but it doesn't work. when i re-insert the sd card the icons re-appeared.

so i wonder if there is something to do to organize the icons of the desktop.

thanks =)

Everytime the pnds get read from the sd again, those desktopfiles will be recreated. The only reliable way to get rid of the not needed icons might be to delete their application tags from the PXML.

In minimenu you can hide icons you don't need afaik.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have installed an application that create 10 icons at the same time on the desktop.

i need only one of them, so i opened the desktop folder and deleted the 9 i don't use to have more space for icons already here.

but it doesn't work. when i re-insert the sd card the icons re-appeared.

so i wonder if there is something to do to organize the icons of the desktop.

thanks =)
One thing you could do:

1) Let the system generate the 10 .desktop files

2) Delete the 9 you don't want.

3) Change the name of the pnd file so it has an extension without the letters 'pnd' in it (call it something like "appname.custom")

4) Edit the desktop file of the app you do want, so it runs the PND with the new name.

Your desktop file will point to nowhere if you don't have the sd card in, of course, but at least you won't get 10 icons again.

Alternatively, you could edit the .desktop files of your unwanted apps to say "Hidden=true" and then make them read-only using chmod -w. I haven't tested it, but that should stop the system recreating them (maybe).

Would that work with mednafen emulator?

Last edited:
it is exactly the app i was talking about :lol: (i need only the neogeo pocket emulator)

for all your solutions there are many things i don't know (i'm a newbie^^)

where to find the pxml file?

minimenu is not in the xfce, is it?

where to find the .desktop file of the app?

what is chmod -w?

i'm reading http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/8858-xfce-tips-desktop-icon-sizeplacementtaskbar/?hl=%2Bmove+%2Bdesktop+%2Bicons

it is exactly the app i was talking about :lol: (i need only the neogeo pocket emulator)

for all your solutions there are many things i don't know (i'm a newbie^^)

where to find the pxml file?

minimenu is not in the xfce, is it?

where to find the .desktop file of the app?

what is chmod -w?

i'm reading http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/8858-xfce-tips-desktop-icon-sizeplacementtaskbar/?hl=%2Bmove+%2Bdesktop+%2Bicons
You can switch the GUI from the xfce menu to mini menu. Can't answer the other ?'s..sorry.

Funny I was talking about the same app you were . Been trying to clean up all those icons myself but with no luck. It is a multi emulator emulator.

btw ..neogeo pocket works well with mednafen.

Try this:

1. Move  the mednafen PND to the pandora/menu folder on your SD card.
  2. Right click on an empty spot on the desktop and click Create Launcher.
  3. In the Name box, start typing mednafen.
  4. As you are typing a list should appear, select "Create Launcher mednafen-ngp" from the list.
  5. Click Create. (at the bottom)

Note that the the shortcut will stay on the desktop even if you eject the SD card, but will of course only work if the SD card is there.  

If you want to give the new shortcut an icon that will stay in place between reboots you will probably need to copy it to the nand from the icon cache and load it from there.

- Neelix

Try this:

4. As you are typing a list should appear, select "Create Launcher mednafen-ngp" from the list.

Note that the the shortcut will stay on the desktop even if you eject the SD card, but will of course only work if the SD card is there.  

If you want to give the new shortcut an icon that will stay in place between reboots you will probably need to copy it to the nand from the icon cache and load it from there.

- Neelix
^ success..thanks Neelix.

btw ..neogeo pocket works well with mednafen.
Agree with you except that PAL games don't work with mednafen.

Try this:

- Neelix
excellent idea. thanks

I tried the same thing with Vice and it works :) The only thing that doesn't work is the icon.. when I select an icon i'll just stay there till I reboot. Neelix said sth about copying it to the Nand don't know if I already did that, but then it didn't work. So what do I have to do that the icon stays there even after the reboot ?

After you copy it to the nand you have to select that copy of the icon for the launcher.

Right click on your launcher

Click Edit Launcher 

Click the button next to "Icon:"

Navigate to the folder where you saved your icon and select it.

Click Save.

After a moment or two the new icon will show up and should persist between reboots.

- Neelix

Edit:  By default icons associated with PNDs are stored in /tmp/iconcache  - this is stored in RAM, not on the NAND.   To save an icon to the NAND you should put it in your home folder: /home/username/

After you copy it to the nand you have to select that copy of the icon for the launcher.

Right click on your launcher

Click Edit Launcher 

Click the button next to "Icon:"

Navigate to the folder where you saved your icon and select it.

Click Save.

After a moment or two the new icon will show up and should persist between reboots.

- Neelix

Edit:  By default icons associated with PNDs are stored in /tmp/iconcache  - this is stored in RAM, not on the NAND.   To save an icon to the NAND you should put it in your home folder: /home/username/
Thanks,

saving it to the NAND fixed it :)

Back