Is it just me, or do these boards have a serious problem?

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
So...

Every time I come here to check up on the latest developments, I have no other choice than to notice just how difficult it is to actually follow what is happening in terms of the Pyra hardware (and actually, the software too, unless you know where to look).

There are so many small pieces of information that are really interesting, and personally I'd really like to have access to those. But there is so much goddamn off-topic littered in-between, and the information that interests me is all over the place, it's not even sad anymore. I'm actually starting to lose interest in the Pyra because of it.

No worries Ed, not going to cancel the order anyway, keep on going. Just... it seems like concepts such as threads are useless here. It feels like, to actually stay in the loop, one MUST skim through basically every thing in every thread. The state of these boards is discouraging, and I notice it's severely affecting my will to participate and engage in conversation.

I know that I'm not the only one who thinks like this, but just to what extend others are influenced by it, I can not tell exactly. So I'd like to hear what you are thinking. Especially if you are visiting these boards just sporadically (as opposed to daily-ish, though of course I'd love to hear those voices, too).

Really looking forward to hearing about it. Is it just me?

There isn't much newsworthy activity, so the signal to noise is low.

If you just want to see the real news, just follow ED's tweets or profile.

Maybe a seperated section would be great. Which lists only the facts of the development so far chronologic and the steps which follow.

Reactions: ___
So...

Every time I come here to check up on the latest developments, I have no other choice than to notice just how difficult it is to actually follow what is happening in terms of the Pyra hardware (and actually, the software too, unless you know where to look).

There are so many small pieces of information that are really interesting, and personally I'd really like to have access to those. But there is so much goddamn off-topic littered in-between, and the information that interests me is all over the place, it's not even sad anymore. I'm actually starting to lose interest in the Pyra because of it.

No worries Ed, not going to cancel the order anyway, keep on going. Just... it seems like concepts such as threads are useless here. It feels like, to actually stay in the loop, one MUST skim through basically every thing in every thread. The state of these boards is discouraging, and I notice it's severely affecting my will to participate and engage in conversation.

I know that I'm not the only one who thinks like this, but just to what extend others are influenced by it, I can not tell exactly. So I'd like to hear what you are thinking. Especially if you are visiting these boards just sporadically (as opposed to daily-ish, though of course I'd love to hear those voices, too).

Really looking forward to hearing about it. Is it just me?

Can't say I can agree.
I personally enjoy the chatter:happy:,it creates an actual scene of community & and without it it would be more sterile here:(.
Maybe it's just me.

There isn't much newsworthy activity, so the signal to noise is low.

If you just want to see the real news, just follow ED's tweets or profile.

Thats what I do for quick news :).

Hmm...you raise a valid point. At times it seems like we are just chatting about random stuff in whatever is the most recent thread posted.

I do follow all the threads hence I am personally not as bothered by it. I find myself replying to individual posts regardless of the actual topic.
Thanks for the heads up. In so far as I contribute to derailing threads, which I certainly do, I will attempt to be more alert about it.

Mainly the important things are in the first page of ED posts in the "Pyra News" section, really recent news can be obtained from the latest tweet visible on the "forums" section.
Everything else is mainly unnecessary or just curiosity bits.

He normally tweets about new news posts though, so you could just go to the twitter and start there. More tricky are any bits he posted as comments in the resultant thread, which he often recaps in the news post that follows but that's not guaranteed. The stalker is probably the cleanest way to find those, although you'll have to filter through posts he just made for fun, which he still finds the time occasionally to make.

IMHO mods should be less permissive on news section. I have the same issue as you and I read a lot of people complaining the same. The problem is, when it is offtopic or when it is not? Sometimes it's easy to see but other it is not.

mods should be less permissive on news section.

Perhaps so. It's a tricky line to draw - and there are impossibly many borderline cases.

In practice, I think we tend to err on the side of generosity to avoid alienating users, and to avoid escalation. Deleting a few junk posts quickly becomes a grade-A headache, when the user in question takes it personally and builds a grand crusade against the moderator involved.

we should probably just get the interesting bits stuck into the wiki, so that super serial people can just get it there...

It's a shame that Gruso's pandorapress died and that Ekianjo stopped updating pandorapress. I can't really criticise them, as I'm not I wouldn't have had the stamina to keep updating things like that through the thick and thin, but it was always nice to re-read news in a concise format, and to pick up a few bits and pieces you'd missed.

Maybe a wiki page could work. We could club together to keep track of the various topics (case plastics, prototype board revisions, and so on) linking back to the posts where that bit of info originated. Might give us a better perspective on what we're waiting on, and how long things are going to take. But I've had experiences of creating wiki projects that will need a couple of people to keep track of and help out which have languished, so I'm not starting anything else just now.

Perhaps so. It's a tricky line to draw - and there are impossibly many borderline cases.

In practice, I think we tend to err on the side of generosity to avoid alienating users, and to avoid escalation. Deleting a few junk posts quickly becomes a grade-A headache, when the user in question takes it personally and builds a grand crusade against the moderator involved.

Precisely what I have said :D.

I'm waiting quietly for my Pyra. (Hurry up ED :-#:)) Once it arrives I will be more active again.
I guess the forums are in a state of dormancy in some respects. This forum needs the Pyra!

If you only want the official info, visit the stalker link. This is what I do when I have little time.

According to EvilDragons Twitter Acount, he got good news, but he ditnt found the time to make a Newspost yet,
He wrote "tomorow" but as the Post was from 3 AM, i dotnt know which tomorrow he meant, Wednesday or Thursday in Germany ??
Mybe whe could keep the newsthreads clean, by make a "Discussion to Newspost...." Thread, whit a link to the newspost,
so peaple who wants just the news, can look in the newspost..

Back