Is It Comfortable To Hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HaX0R117 said:
kin said:
Looking at the available space for buttons, it doesn't look akward.
But to modify the model to be more comfortable would sacrifice the looks and portability.
You dont think it looks awkward? really? When i saw the dual ana-nubs, i nearly cried. Not only because it was what psp devs had been wanting for the past 3 years, but because it just looks.. way to cramped. its really like, the design devs for Pandora had a checklist from the engineer team and were like "K, lets get all this **** and put it in a box as compact as we can". Im not hating that or anything, or the fact that somethings are a little... excesive (touch screen and blue tooth? wtfh), it looks uncomfortable, then again, ive never had a powerhouse in the palm of my hand before.

Lol everybody has their own opinion. Well.. maybe engineer team was excited instead to get to the challenge. (yes the 2 nubs are a bit excesive... 1 is enough?)

Last edited by a moderator:
kin said:
HaX0R117 said:
kin said:
Looking at the available space for buttons, it doesn't look akward.
But to modify the model to be more comfortable would sacrifice the looks and portability.
You dont think it looks awkward? really? When i saw the dual ana-nubs, i nearly cried. Not only because it was what psp devs had been wanting for the past 3 years, but because it just looks.. way to cramped. its really like, the design devs for Pandora had a checklist from the engineer team and were like "K, lets get all this **** and put it in a box as compact as we can". Im not hating that or anything, or the fact that somethings are a little... excesive (touch screen and blue tooth? wtfh), it looks uncomfortable, then again, ive never had a powerhouse in the palm of my hand before.

Lol everybody has their own opinion. Well.. maybe engineer team was excited instead to get to the challenge. (yes the 2 nubs are a bit excesive... 1 is enough?)

No, the 2 nubs were needed, im just saying the placement looks awkward, atleast in my taste (the touch screen and bluetooth are exessive.. ims ure i can get a few agrees on that)

HaX0R117 said:
No, the 2 nubs were needed, im just saying the placement looks awkward, atleast in my taste (the touch screen and bluetooth are exessive.. ims ure i can get a few agrees on that)
Touch screen excessive?? Let's see if I can find a font size big enough for this...

HELL NO!

Obviously you've never played a few hour long session of OpenTTD on PSP before. Touch screen is - IMHO - vital for comfortable use of any heavily mouse driven application. Also, why is it that you seem to want to be convinced, but seem to argue against what people are offering you?

EDIT: I'll go one better; if the Pandora did not have a touch screen I would not have preordered.

Eniko said:
HaX0R117 said:
Touch screen excessive?? Let's see if I can find a font size big enough for this...

HELL NO!

Obviously you've never played a few hour long session of OpenTTD on PSP before. Touch screen is - IMHO - vital for comfortable use of any heavily mouse driven application. Also, why is it that you seem to want to be convinced, but seem to argue against what people are offering you?

EDIT: I'll go one better; if the Pandora did not have a touch screen I would not have preordered.

THe placement of the screen doesnt seem like you would have any reason to touch it, its not immediately by your fingers (likein the DS, tablets, ect). Does no one see that the feature list was more important than system comfort? Gahh, Ive basically convinced myself not to get it.. except for the comment about DaveC being apart of the design process.

The lid folds out 180 degrees, nice for a tablet like usage.

I strongly recommend not to buy it, good bye :)

I know it's not really a proper reply to this thread, and I know it won't help matters but... I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would think the touch screen is not just not necessary, but excessive and just to beef up a feature list like it doesn't add anything. Seriously, after having a crick in my neck for almost a week from playing OpenTTD on my PSP while on a train voyage, I just can't understand it at all. :blink: :huh:

Eniko said:
I know it's not really a proper reply to this thread, and I know it won't help matters but... I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would think the touch screen is not just not necessary, but excessive and just to beef up a feature list like it doesn't add anything. Seriously, after having a crick in my neck for almost a week from playing OpenTTD on my PSP while on a train voyage, I just can't understand it at all. :blink: :huh:
The placement of the touchscreen then? I just wish that they had a design, then added what they could versus building a feature list and revolving around that. and kin im not.... since my main question is how comfortable it is so i can develop for it, but various sidetracks got the conversation away from that

What else do you want to know? Ask and we answer.
So far the bottom line is:
Comfortable

HaX0R117 said:
Eniko said:
The placement of the touchscreen then? I just wish that they had a design, then added what they could versus building a feature list and revolving around that. and kin im not.... since my main question is how comfortable it is so i can develop for it, but various sidetracks got the conversation away from that

I understand lol. It's too bad they haven't took much time to think about the buttons.
But then again, the downside of that leads to undecisiveness, delays or even fundwaisting.

Eniko said:
.. I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would think the touch screen is not just not necessary, but excessive and just to beef up a feature list like it doesn't add anything.

I don't think the touchscreen is excessive, but I do have my reservations about it's placement. My favorite use of the stylus for my DS has been homebrew drawing applications. Having the touchscreen on the bottom is great because you can put the DS in your lap, on a table, or rest it on your hand and you have a decent drawing surface. I don't think you'll be able to get that same feeling with a touchscreen that can't lay flat.

mali said:
Comfortable
Tbh, the question was towards those who have actually HELD the console...

mali said:
Send MWeston a PM, he may or may not answer.
What do you develop?
i know C++ and im learning C#.. probably just misc. apps and such. Been wanting to work my magic on a game for awhile though, was learning a little lua for the hell of it.

mali said:
Comfortable
In all fairness (and with the utmost respect, Mali), I don't see how you can make that claim. No one who's replied to this topic has actually held a completed unit in their hands and tried to operate it. I make this statement mainly based on a limited knowledge of which developers (community and otherwise) have admitted to getting a dev board, but also in part because the first completed unit (prototype or otherwise) hasn't been assembled yet, unless Craig has received the key pads and didn't let anyone know about it. He made a post earlier today to the effect that they hadn't arrived yet.

@Haxor117 -- You seem to think the touchscreen and bluetooth were unnecessary. Being able to tether this device to my phone via bluetooth for a go-anywhere internet connection is one of the major draws for me. I don't really care about the touch screen, and I think that the microphone is completely extraneous, although I realize there are others for whom a microphone is a must-have for network play.

I can't really speak for the design (again because I haven't held one and tried to use it yet), but it looks like a decent enough compromise between gaming device and linux handheld. For me, the keyboard is an absolute must, and once you make that stipulation, it becomes extremely difficult to place the gaming controls. From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I think it's quite attractive. We'll have to wait for the first few units to be assembled to really get a good idea of how functional they are.

In the meantime, I think most of the answers you'll get here will be based on speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back