Developing: how easy is it going to be?

failedartifact

Still Fresh
The selling point for the Pandora for me is if I can develop anything for it.

I believe other ofc might be in the same position or at least same idea that they want to create software/games for the Pandora, in which case, it would be Amazing if there were some really nice documents for the Pandora to at least get off the ground with out having to know everything.

I'm alright at C++/java/VB, its a bit rusted, and i have only been creating progams for windows.. so developing for linux is a bit daunting to me...

Any one out there who can give me more information on the general process of making an application for pandora? Is it as easy as creating a C++ program on windows? or does it involve a load of experience.

Any information is great thanks!

I'd be interested in know this too.
Like yourself I am ok with c++/java under a windows environment and know the fundamentals.

I would love to help with porting games but have no idea where to begin.

Obviously you need the original source code and I guess you then re-write the code so it is compatible and compile it.
When I put it like that it sounds simple and I know it isn't. Probably involves a lot of compiling and sorting out bugs because of the different architecture.

Once you have the source code what is the next step (which language, compiler, what are the special rules for ARM etc)?

Well that's virtually the same information im looking for, but for software. I loved to create a piece of software which could act as my own personalised bank account, where i can store my money inputs and outputs. Or a Japanese learning program to manly help me revise Japanese, which could in theory help others if they liked.

(A few of my boring program ideas...)

One thing I could do with learning before I keep talking is more GUI in C++, I haven't done any of that yet.

Developing for a handheld console doesn't need to be that hard. I worked on a few programs for the GP2X using the Fenix interpreter, eventually releasing one of them.

Given the power of this system, you might as well develop on Linux right now, and then port to the Pandora. It's pretty much going to be the same thing. :)

EDIT: That being said I'd love to see Java on the Pandora. :)

Good thinking Trever! If only my Toshibe portege 3110ct or 3490ct could just recognise my network card for updates to get dev stuff...

If you know how to program C/C++ and how toolchains work, then its a good start. If you don't and you want to start developing before someone makes a dev package for you (like the Codeblocks one on GP2X), i suggest you look at some tutorials on the net. I presume most the current Pandora devs are using the ARM-Linux CodeSourcery G++ toolchain.... the only annoyance with that is that you have to compile all the libraries yourself (beyond the standard c ones).

Once you have a toolchain up and running the difference between x86 and ARM are, in general, largely invisible. Although if you try using say x86 compiled datafiles with an ARM binary, you can get hard to find problems with memory alignment. Heres an article which details the major differences (note: the endianess problems will not apply):

http://www.handhelds.org/minihowto/port ... tware.html

hey

I've never done any development on other devices myself, just Windows and Linux edit: Actually I've done some assembly for the NES (6502 ASM) and THRSim11 (68HC11 ASM), another edit: I've also done a tiny bit with the homebrew pspsdk for a friend, and reversed an executable of a game on the original Xbox for another friend (to allow the use of modified custom skater files in Tony Hawks :)). I use http://www.archlinux.org myself, I recommend it and that you use XFCE as your Window Manager :). Although you will probably have todo alot of stuffing around to get things going smoothly and how you want with Archlinux, well I did anyhows, hehe. I just started with the Archlinux base packages, and then went on to install everything I wanted :). Hmm, well I do have things like a HP Printer, Wacom Tablet and Webcam, hehe. But yea, you must research what things are compatible with Linux before getting them, I done such research when I got my Printer, Webcam and my old Dialup modem :). The thing I had most probs with was my old Dialup modem, but those days are over :).

If you want something easy to get going then ya probably better off with one of the more well known (and much larger to download, with things you probably don't need) distros.

Hmm, the first Linux distro I ever used was Gentoo, and I remember you had to install and setup everything manually. Although they have great guides and documentation for all of this :). Unlike Archlinux, which uses binary based software packages, Gentoo uses sourcecode based software packages and so it takes time to build/compile these when you want to try new software.

If you use Windows then I would recommend ya start using the GNU toolset for building/compiling, instead of the likes of Microsoft Visual C++ and such, that is checkout MinGW (Minimalist GNU for Windows). Hmm, or if you want everything setup automatically for you then checkout the CodeBlocks IDE, at least I'm guessing it sets up everything for ya. edit: I myself just use MinGW and Notepad2 for programming on Windows.

Basically, once you start using the GNU toolset or whatever your code becomes quite portable, as the toolset is available on alot of different platforms. edit: You might have a few little issues, at least I do at times when I've coded something on Linux and try compile with MinGW, or vise versa. Although everytime this has occured I have found that once I fixed the problem on the other side it still worked on the original side, I hope that made some sense, hehe.

As for ARM, you might want to checkout codesourcery.com (edit: updated link to go directly to ARM toolchain). This is GNU g++ for ARM :).

If you want to try OpenGL ES (OpenGL for Embedded Systems), then ya might wanna check the POWERVER SDK. edit: Although I am yet to try OpenGL ES, I thinks OpenGL ES is pretty much the same as the regular OpenGL, well you can checkout the specs HERE. There is also an API reference and such on that website that you could use to see if any GL functions you use are supported and such.

Anyhows I hope this helps, I'm guessing someone will create some sort of guide about all of this for developing on the Pandora at some stage.

edit
I'm just downloading the Sourcery G++ for linux right now, had to get the source cause I'm using x86_64. If I can figure it all out and compile a little prog I will let yas know.

another edit
I just noticed that there seem to be a bunch of gnu gcc arm packages on the Archlinux repos, I might check these out. edit: Yea, these packages don't contain G++, so you could only compile C progs, and not C++, so I thinks anyhows.

cyas

I truly believe that the pandora is so open, that we can all just boot whatever the hell we want from sector-0, and the sky is the limit.

Theres no 'distribution wars' in pandora; it can boot external. Eternally.

You don't need to run linux to develop for it. Just set up SDL on windows and start creating a game that doesn't use windows system calls and an 800x480 windows. I'm sure a full toolchain will be available in the near future that will let you cross compile. It's very simple but for now you should be able to easily dev for SDL.

Java is platform independent, so that's one thing. Then there's python, which is extremely easy to do and will be available on the P as well

Well, i was originally running linux until my brother wanted me to do some networking bridging between 2 connections which i failed to do in linux but manage to do in windows, and now last week he moved out, so i can return to my ubuntu.. But hopefully theres enough nice people out there that can cooperate with me and test my *test* programs out before i buy the console.

I don't want to find that i buy it, and not be able to dev for it becuase its too hard.

But Cheers all for the great posts.

IMHO Linux is easier to develop for.

Yeah, its daunting at first. But the platform is more open, you can get to know it more intimately than a non open-source operating system.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't wait to get hacking on mine :p

EDIT: Java is bollocks, whoever suggested that should punch themselves in the face and balls 3 times.

I know i will sound like a total noob here but this is my problem and hopefully some
smart dev that knows how to do this can make something that can get the masses
creating for pandora ....

Im good with windows but totaly new to linux and tho i have started using linux
i must admit i find it kind of confusing and somewhat backwards in regards to installing
software and games for use in linux ,i have messed with apt and its a great idea of
having a repository of all the stuff you could need direct for download and install but
like i said im new to linux so i have no idea what most of these programs do and
i found that after installing some of them like wine winex and xine ? linux wouldnt boot
up after a restart.

I want to create games amd multimedia apps for pandora ,no porting or emulators
but i have no idea how to do this ,i would much rather do it in windows as Im used
to windows but again i dont know the ins and outs of the cpu x86 and ARM so using
windows can be a problem.

I would love the devs to create a nice cross platform tool or set of tools that can
be used in windows or linux that has the right programs allowing us to develop 2D/3D
software that can then be ported over to the pandora with ease,this might be
alternitive versions of normal windows apps but with specific settings for pandora
ARM,display and sound drivers.

I have a project on 3dgs that i want to port to pandora,can i continue developing this
game,with the idea that it can be ported over to pandora ? or would it be very difficult
to port as it is writen in windows and also on x86,i need answers please becase this
is the main reason i bought a pandora and i want my game out there.

Paddy

What sort of GUI is going to work with pandora.. KDE/GNOME? I just want to know so i can start learning. I havn't done any GUI programming before btw.

Back