Is It Comfortable To Hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacker117

Still Fresh
Yea, like the title says. Id like to develop for the Pandora, but.. the controls.. idk everything just looks awkward on it. How does it feel? Is it clunky? Plasticky? I mean, if id work all day and all night on the thing developing for it, but i dont want to blow 330 on something that is annoying to handle. Theres alot of potential with the system as everyone knows, but for the few who have one, is it worth it?

The few that have one(but still rapid prototyped cases) might be the devs, if they got the key-mat, yet.

MDave said:
Do you find the DS uncomfortable to hold?
I was going to refer to this.. which ds are you referring to? lite or phat?

btw love the quick replys ^-^, i go to the bathroom and come back and bam!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now from my experience, you defiantly have to come accustom to a new system or set of controls. Like with my xbox controller, I had been playing all sorts of games with the analog sticks and then i went to emulators that used the alot of the d-pad. My thumbs felt slightly sore but i got used to it.

I'm with you on the plasticy though i want to hold a system that feels solid, its almost a subconscious relief for the time you know your going to drop it.

HaX0R117 said:
btw love the quick replys ^-^, i go to the bathroom and come back and bam!

10 minutes in the bathroom? I hope you're ok!

mazza558 said:
The developers say it's comfortable to hold.
The only 'developers' who have held one are the people who make money off the bloody things.

HaX0R117 said:
Yea, like the title says. Id like to develop for the Pandora, but.. the controls.. idk everything just looks
Do you really think they are going to create an uncomfortable handheld?

You'll know more soon when the final case is assembled and videos surface. By the time the second batch is ready for order, I'm sure there'll be plenty of reviews.

But for an opinion right now: the most hyper-critical guy on these boards, DaveC, who also created the best joystick mods for the GP2X, had a hand in designing the controls and said the mockup felt great. The DaveC seal of approval is good enough for me ;)

Squidge said:
HaX0R117 said:
Yea, like the title says. Id like to develop for the Pandora, but.. the controls.. idk everything just looks
Do you really think they are going to create an uncomfortable handheld?

xbox, jaguar, n64 ... look em up lol.. oh and my dad came ove during those ten min too

@Esn It isn't, nobody is going to make money until the next round anyways.

PS, I doubt you will be holding the thing while dev'n on it (unless if you are doing it directly on the system). I honestly think it will take a little getting use to since it does have a unique setup, however I know comfort was one of there focuses.

Game_over said:
@Esn It isn't, nobody is going to make money until the next round anyways.

PS, I doubt you will be holding the thing while dev'n on it (unless if you are doing it directly on the system). I honestly think it will take a little getting use to since it does have a unique setup, however I know comfort was one of there focuses.
... I didnt say i was goingto holdit while i dev it.. but it would benice to play around with the stuff i make, no? lol.. anyway, @GunPei2X, thanks for the responce, I surelyhope that DaveC worked his magic on Pandora. The system is a beast. I really would hate all of this potential go to waste because it feels too flimsy. I might just get a 3rd batch, was hoping to grab one asap, but id rather wait and see how it holds (both in popularity and comfort-wise), would be amazing to have this take over the portable gaming market.. though Im not sure that will happen.. Id surely recommend this to everyone if its as good as i hope it to be. I guess only time will tell.

PS, my last post was on my psp :/ sorry for the undetailed ness

Looking at the available space for buttons, it doesn't look akward.
But to modify the model to be more comfortable would sacrifice the looks and portability.

kin said:
Looking at the available space for buttons, it doesn't look akward.
But to modify the model to be more comfortable would sacrifice the looks and portability.
You dont think it looks awkward? really? When i saw the dual ana-nubs, i nearly cried. Not only because it was what psp devs had been wanting for the past 3 years, but because it just looks.. way to cramped. its really like, the design devs for Pandora had a checklist from the engineer team and were like "K, lets get all this **** and put it in a box as compact as we can". Im not hating that or anything, or the fact that somethings are a little... excesive (touch screen and blue tooth? wtfh), it looks uncomfortable, then again, ive never had a powerhouse in the palm of my hand before.

HaX0R117 said:
xbox, jaguar, n64 ... look em up lol.. oh and my dad came ove during those ten min too

and how many of those were created behind closed doors and how many were driven by a community?

You dont think it looks awkward? really? When i saw the dual ana-nubs, i nearly cried. Not only because it was what psp devs had been wanting for the past 3 years, but because it just looks.. way to cramped. its really like, the design devs for Pandora had a checklist from the engineer team and were like "K, lets get all this **** and put it in a box as compact as we can". Im not hating that or anything, or the fact that somethings are a little... excesive (touch screen and blue tooth? wtfh), it looks uncomfortable, then again, ive never had a powerhouse in the palm of my hand before.

Cut a piece of cardboard or better wood to the right dimensions and put two coins on it and try it out. I came to the conclusion, that it will be great :)

Squidge said:
HaX0R117 said:

and how many of those were created behind closed doors and how many were driven by a community?
driven by a community in terms of design? None. Doesnt mean that a homebrew engineering team is going to make something more comfortable, right? I hope that the pandora team were focused on handheld comfort instead of being "driven by a community" in terms of features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back