Introduce yourself

Ha! Way to come back and mess everything up eh.
I was using Opera Next when posted that.
I'll edit it now and try bring correct format back, I too see it running off the right side of page

Hello there,

I'm Agricola, 21 years old and living in Germany. For quite a while now I've been lurking on these forums, first stumbled upon the Pandora in 2009, but never bought one for strange reasons (mainly because it was quite expensive for a 15 year old kid). I kinda forgot about this whole project and when I came back in 2014 (luckily missed the whole Craig-debacle), I was surprised to see a successor being made and as it looked very promising, I followed every new piece of information – for about a year now I've been looking into ED's news section and Pyra General Talk almost every day. As most of my questions were already answered, making an account was no high priority, and because I don't even own a Pandora and am no programmer, I didn't see any use to others by doing so. But now I pre-preordered a Pyra and want to put in my two cents ;)

About me: I'm probably not a typical forum member, as I don't have anything to do with programming or hardware development. At most, it's a hobby of mine; in normal life I study chemistry. I'm writing this text right now on a Windows computer  :p The Pyra is interesting to me because I hope to be able to play SNES and late DOS/early Windows games on it while still having a full keyboard so I can write a few longer texts when I'm in a bus or train.

Hello everyone !
I'm Plume. I discovered the Pandora a couple of years ago and couldn't believe that this thing actually existed. I couldn't however justify to buy a Pandora and when I heard that there would be a successor, I decided to wait since I had 2 months™ before it came out to plan everything.
I'm a CS student and a long time GNU/Linux user. I kind of enjoy doing crazy low-level stuff (there is no challenge if you can rely on dynamic allocation :p ) and might try to do some funny stuff with the Cortex co-processors, if I manage to acquire a Pyra ;)

Hello Agricola. Playing games on the Pandora made it fun again. The controls are great, and you can suspend, then continue lots of games without problems (plus emulators let you save at any moment). Of course, the Pandora/Pyra is more than a game machine, you will see once you get one. Lots of chemical programs to discover on Debian. Do you have Linux experience? Try downloading or buying a magazine with a live distro. Get your feet wet, as it were.

Save up the money... if WW3 does not start before production, we will have it by next year...

Hi Plume! There are lots of other tinkerers here, so you are invited to mingle on the forums. Gets ideas flowing and such. Gcc is fun on these little machines, and you can start at any level, from basic light switching (multicolor leds) to, indeed, crazy stuff with the processors... and being unbrickable.... well, you can go very far with that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah, thought I'd missing a thread somewhere about introducing yourself. Oh well.

Just joined the forum. Hello! Weisz's the name on these forums, and it's somewhat reflects my RL name (anglicized, mebbe). Been exposed with IT even since I was a toddler (playing games on windows 3.1 when I was 3 and a half) and thinking of jumping head first into open source/Linux territory.

I made a mistake of making my first post on Pyra's general discussion :$ at least a valid question is there regarding pyra...

Last edited:
Agh... you've been traumatized by Windows 3.1 too? Welcome to Linux and the forums. It is not a "wrong way" to not use this thread to first post.
Welcome to the waiting line of Pyra.
Did you know that the Pandora has the Windows 3.1 emulator called Windows RG (link does not require a pandora to experience Windows RG - Really Good edition)

Agh... you've been traumatized by Windows 3.1 too? Welcome to Linux and the forums. It is not a "wrong way" to not use this thread to first post.
Did you know that the Pandora has the Windows 3.1 emulator called Windows RG (link does not require a pandora to experience Windows RG - Really Good edition)
Better than dealing with the Timex Sinclair ZX81 when I was 3 years old.

Better than dealing with the Timex Sinclair ZX81 when I was 3 years ol
I can see why... only the ZX Spectrum had soft chiclet keys you could bite during teething. The ZX81 is too hard!

But the boottime... superb...

Haha, that's funny! Oh man, the woes of using that OS at its time... I remember I annoyed the heck out of my older brother just to let him navigate me to the 'goodies' tab (games of course! the ones in the entertainment pack) in which my small brain at the time still couldn't wrap the idea of navigating around using the mousexD*grumbles at Chip's challenge and that rodent game with cats.

Better than dealing with the Timex Sinclair ZX81 when I was 3 years old.

I swear I saw a ZX spectrum few times at my father's workplace; it was his colleague's PC that he brought from overseas. Man, the guy was seriously stingy and a real snob about it! Showing me the games that he can play on the rig while not letting me even touching the chiclet, rubbery keys... :(

... makes me wonder of a particular design though: PC gamers (them 1337 ones) usually takes their prized keyboards around when it comes to gaming either by competition or LAN parties. I wonder why no company tried to revitalize the design of decades ago? I mean just plonk one of the current Intel Skylake or Cherrytrail offering with a discrete GPU into a specially-designed Steelseries or Corsair's keyboard and you have something like a modern Vic-20 or a MSX2 PCs with glowy, clicky keyboards.

... and put two analog nubs around the palmrest area for retrogaming support.

I would be intrigued by one of those if they make it the size of a ZX spectrum :D

The worst thing about the Sinclair Spectrum after it's audio and blocky graphics was the dead-flesh rubber keyboard.

That said, the ZX Spectrum keyboard has recently been revived as a bluetooth keyboard, designed primarily to couple with a Spectrum emulator on iDevices and Android, but I don't see why it shouldn't work as a general keyboard, if anyone was really interested in using it as such.

I wonder why no company tried to revitalize the design of decades ago
1. Because the designs are copyrighted. 2. Because Price (using less/cheaper material) counted more than esthetics, which counted more than ergonometrics (did the word already exist?) back then. Give me a cheap cherry keyboard any time over the cursor keys on the ZX spectrum (which are all in a line). (in general, keyboards were too high, having a computer inside. There were exceptions, like the Commodore 128D with a separate keyboard). But most were either flat keyboards, or too elevated.

The thing is you get used to the position of the keys on the keyboard, for example there are 3 types of return keys: those that look like an L those that look like the shift key and those who look like an advanced tetris form... you can get used to any of those.

There was also a new C64 case with a normal PC inside a year ago on kickstarter.

Hy im Matthias, i live in Westgermany near the french border (Saarland)
Im 31 Yeahrs old, work in a shop for beekeeping supplys and my hobbys are Gaming, Unimog (see picture below) beekeeping, Running, hear and make musik, reading and lots more..
I came from the german gp2x.de boards (the german pandora boards) to gp32x and the new english boards..
Long ago i saw EvilDragon and his GP2X on the german Gamingtelefision "Giga Games"and i wantet such a thing :) (the gp2x, not evildragon)
Then some googling later i saw there is a new device in development and i decide to preeorder the pandora..
The rest is history and im now 28 in pyra prepreorder list..
Whyle my english isnt the best, (had french in shool) its still better than my french)..
Im listen to lot of metall, like manowar, motörhead, metalica, but also german metal like rammstein, and volk rock, Subway to Sally, Saltatio Mortis, Faun.., but also J-Rock and older thinks like Beatles etc..
CC Pandora (first batch) New 3DS XL, Revo k101 plus and Vita are my handhelds..
And im a Multitool Fan,

c9dd3c62e0cadbb28f32f19c9310e39b.jpg

b5fdd21a1f2364484a9850db813354cb.jpg

a79f098cd80f17f8a85b9fda826853e2.jpg

Back