Guide To Game Developing

foxblock

Asleep
Hey there,

I am currently in the process of writing a guide on how to get started with game developing.
It will be about finding an idea, getting to work in a group, planning and finally developing the game.
I keep it general and not fixed to any platform or type of game, so I thought I advertise it here in this shared part of the forums to make it available to all members (as some of you probably don't watch a Pandora themed blog).

The first part is already out and can be read here (also included is a short introduction at the beginning):
http://pandorapress.net/2010/09/13/making-a-game-part-one-the-idea/

Tell me what you think and thanks for your attention,

foxblock out

Apologies for not reading it all, but so far it looks excellent! This (in addition to lessened laziness!) is just what I need to get working on developing games.

Thanks for talking about fleshing out the idea. One of the problems I used to have in my C++ forum is that we would get people showing up with "an idea" usually consisting of 2 or 3 lines describing the situation the game is in, but refusing to do any further work on it until someone recognizes the greatness of the idea enough to agree to code for it.
Everyone has ideas, you need to put in a lot of work to make your idea seem more special than anyone else's.

WizardStan said:
Thanks for talking about fleshing out the idea. One of the problems I used to have in my C++ forum is that we would get people showing up with "an idea" usually consisting of 2 or 3 lines describing the situation the game is in, but refusing to do any further work on it until someone recognizes the greatness of the idea enough to agree to code for it.
Everyone has ideas, you need to put in a lot of work to make your idea seem more special than anyone else's.

And you have to have time something that is getting less abundant by the years, i've noticed, if only I was more focussed or had better Ideas when I was young. Nono I had to go and read indiana jones novels or later go out and drink my brains out. :( wasted years

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
And you have to have time something that is getting less abundant by the years, i've noticed, if only I was more focussed or had better Ideas when I was young. Nono I had to go and read indiana jones novels or later go out and drink my brains out. :( wasted years
I know where you're coming from. I wouldn't call them totally wasted though, got some good memories!
I had no idea there were Indiana Jones novels, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back