Introduce yourself

Yes, those are delicious :)
You're right, I've never heard anyone using 'keks' for trousers. It would certainly cause some funny misunderstandings if it meant both in German xD

what

Sup. Obligatory 'i'm new' post.

I wanted a Pandora when I first found out about it like six-ish years ago, I think. Except I never got one because I was a poor teenager.

Now that I have disposable income, I'm extremely interested in the Pyra and I'm excited to see where it goes. The end.

Welcome Cetus.... if the Pandora is a track record, the Pyra will go much further... get ready to run for one...

Hello, fellow floating-internet-text generators! My name is Marcus, of 20 years. I hail from a city that is beautiful, ugly, fun, scary, upscale, run-down, full of genuine people and full of snakes! I speak of my beloved city of New Orleans: one of the biggest pockets of southern Libertarianism in the USA, once the home of the Italian Mafia, and we even have a Little Vietnam. What's not to love besides everything else?

I've been a gamer as long as I can remember. Sonic on Genesis was my first. Pokemon Gold blew my mind as a kid. I really envy Europeans for experiencing their games on home computers at an early age; my own computer would've been like crack to me. Anyway, my gaming experiences to this point include the Genesis, PS1, Dreamcast (which I own now!), GBC, GBA, Gamecube, PS2, SNES, PSP, PS3, DS, 3DS, Wii (I have a little collection going), Wii U, Xbox, X360, PS4, Saturn (which I also own now!) and PC. Not in that order and some more than others.

My Linux experience, funnily enough, started shortly after I dropped out of university (got accepted to a damn good one, figured I was ready, turns out I wasn't, became friends with "colorful" people to help me get through it, you know how that goes...). I learned about its existence from someone on a forum I used to glance at who was talking about gaming on Linux (mind, this is when such a topic was in its infancy). I switched the almighty Google machine on, and my mind went ker-fluffle. That search opened me up to a world of possibilities and freed me from the OS binary (heh). It was a learning experience, for sure.

My first distro was Ubuntu Trusty. I use Arch now. I'm currently looking at Solus and KaOS because I like the vision and execution of the former and the extremely narrow scope of the latter. Both use systemd, so that's nice as well (I know many a bloomer gets bunched on this forum whenever someone mentions it, just thought I'd give it a go).

I heard of the Pandora from Ashens, a popular YouTuber who reviews cheap products, 80s stuff, and the occasional handheld. Well, I say, "review," but he more or less just points a lot and says words. He doesn't go about giving scores to appease the MetaCritic circle-jerk. Not important. Anyway, while marathon-watching videos from him that I haven't seen yet, and I see this massive ~40min video talking about the Open Pandora. I really wanted a Pandora after that, but I was broke then (not that I walk the streets with shined shoes now, but I'm better off). Now that I can afford one, I'm hesitant to get one due to the ever-pending Pyra release (4G/4GB RAM/32GB eMMC for me, m80!), so I'm holding off in spite of like 4 people putting theirs up for sale.

I'm currently fiddling with scripting in Bash, as well as Python when I'm logged into my Raspberry Pi 2. The most I've contributed to a project was "porting" Bomi (a nice little Qt-based, mplayer2-forked multimedia player) to KaOS by taking a PKGBUILD from the then-latest stable version of Bomi on Arch via AUR, fiddling with the dependencies, and publishing the jury-rigged PKGBUILD file in my KCP repo. I don't even maintain it lol. Yeah, take that, people who port games and make modpacks and package stuff for Pandora to this day!

When I'm not awash in videos or tech learnings of the open-source sort, I enjoy lifting weights, "freeing my mind" (not sure what forum policy on substances are), enjoying lots of music, burying myself in politics, practicing my writing in the form of long ass forum posts, and sometimes reading books (currently on The Conquest of Bread by Petr Kropotkin).

Careful about 'freeing your mind'... if you don't keep a close eye, it may wander into some very strange places...

If it starts hissing at you when you try to get it back... you may be in for some trouble...

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Careful about 'freeing your mind'... if you don't keep a close eye, it may wander into some very strange places...

If it starts hissing at you when you try to get it back... you may be in for some trouble...

I hear that. You'd be hard-pressed to experience a vivid materialization of Quetzalcoatl before becoming one with the universe soon thereafter in any other scenario.

Are you a psychonaut(ic), or did you take it one step further? From a quick glance at your Tumblr page, I'm thinking the latter, but I'll withhold assumptions.

I hear that. You'd be hard-pressed to experience a vivid materialization of Quetzalcoatl before becoming one with the universe soon thereafter in any other scenario.

Are you a psychonaut(ic), or did you take it one step further? From a quick glance at your Tumblr page, I'm thinking the latter, but I'll withhold assumptions.

Best not to make any assumptions regarding me... I know a few that have wasted their lives away on those assumptions (in spite of what I would call 'evidence' to the contrary of said ass ion)

Besides... if you dig too deeply into exactly what I may or may not be... you could catch mice! (I could be contagious... who knows) *and that's a metaphorical affliction you would do best to avoid unless you enjoy having pieces of yourself chewed up and fed into the void by invisible metamice*

... Oh yes, they will make nests in you... they get everywhere!!!
I'm really just a skin now... hardly any human left... eaten away from the inside.

P.s. The best bits of you will be used for bedding and costumes... metamice love theater!
... and chew toys.

Or 'psi in s' experiments...

OR AS DECORATION... because every notion looks better with a lick o paint!

Best not to make any assumptions regarding me... I know a few that have wasted their lives away on those assumptions (in spite of what I would call 'evidence' to the contrary of said ass ion)

...quite. Point taken.

Besides... if you dig too deeply into exactly what I may or may not be... you could catch mice! (I could be contagious... who knows) *and that's a metaphorical affliction you would do best to avoid unless you enjoy having pieces of yourself chewed up and fed into the void by invisible metamice*

So, I could catch mice because you, yourself, are contagious. Not even a condition...well, you ARE the condition.

... Oh yes, they will make nests in you... they get everywhere!!!
I'm really just a skin now... hardly any human left... eaten away from the inside.

Why would they make nests? It isn't a sort of King of Rats kinda deal? Then again, if a Rat King did fill the void it created, then it would spread a contagious ailment rather than BE the ailment itself. However, if you're a skin covering a Rat King and I catch mice rather than plague, then I suppose you being a Rat King isn't too far out of the ballpark. Kinda kills the whole reason for Rat Kings' existences though.

I would say sorry for calling you a bad omen for terrible diseases, but I'm not PC. We're far beyond that once we start talking about getting eaten out, non-sexually, by metamice.

P.s. The best bits of you will be used for bedding and costumes... metamice love theater!
... and chew toys.

Or 'psi in s' experiments...

OR AS DECORATION... because every notion looks better with a lick o paint!

Well, as long as they don't try to use me as a vessel for teaching worlds about levels of consciousness or Space Jews or Sacred Geometry, I'll settle for playing the role as the skull in Hamlet.

I thought you had disappeared for good into your little blog
... does... does that mean I've reappeared for bad!?

So, I could catch mice because you, yourself, are contagious. Not even a condition...well, you ARE the condition.

... the unconditional condition!

... metamice are infinite in iteration... but there's really only ONE mouse... actually.

... whatever metamice eat, they become...
... whatever is eaten by metamice, becomes metame...

me being you of course, or them... because those thusly thine or mine or mew... me-you like a kitten!

*baby mice are kittens donchaknow....

I've been lurking the forums for the past couple of years [think back around the time you could obtain a pandora] Didn't have the funds back then but dreamed of owning a device like this.
Came back around when the pyra was more than a pipedream.
Overly hyped is a understatement.

Outside of fawning over electronics, I work in a warehouse servicing a wildly popular website [think orange logo].
I spend most of my free time building games and gunpla.

I am really glad to have finally joined up a few months back. I learned a lot just by reading up the more technical threads and researching stuff.
I build on windows, but my current workstation can build stuff for linux. Thankfully now I actually have spare computers that I plan on turning dedicated for testing.

Hi, just registered to this board (minutes after preordering a Pyra)

A short introduction:

I (43 YO) live in Austria and am very much into retro gaming.

I have a little collection of retro hardware. My current set up is: C64, Amiga 1200, Omega (a consolized Neo Geo MVS), Atari 7800, Mega Drive and N64. I started re-entering the real retro hardware Scene in 2011. 75 percent of my retro time are used with my C64.

Before this i was into emulation (PC, later a GP2X and finally a Pandora).

I sold both Pandora and GP2X in 2012. Real hardware was the focus. But I felt something is missing. So i bought the lovely Nvidia Shield portable in 2014 and - in my office a emulator-based arcade machine in 2015.

I must admit I nearly completely missed the development of the Pyra. I recognised it last week 2 hours after backing the GPD Win on Indiegogo.

So now I am awaiting 2 Little machines: The Pyra and the GPD Win. I don't know so far which one I finally prefer (I only intend to keep one of These 2). Both machines seem so have their pro's and cons.

I am glad to have found this forum (I am also visiting the german gp2x forum frequently)

So now I am awaiting 2 Little machines: The Pyra and the GPD Win. I don't know so far which one I finally prefer (I only intend to keep one of These 2). Both machines seem so have their pro's and cons.
It depends whether you see Windows 10 as a pro or a con. ;) I wouldn't even want to have something infected with Win10 for free.
I personally don't see any pro in the GPD Win, not even the price since the retail price is set quite high considering GPD's overall bad support, cheap build quality and questionable Asian labour politics.

Windows is a pro for me. I do not intend to work with the machines. So it is just about the games. And there is one thing Windows has: The ability to play Civilization 4.

But aside from this the Pyra seems to be superior for me at the moment.

Building games is very good. :)
I'm hoping for some community projects here, maybe this time I'll be allowed to contribute some music.

What's gunpla?
gundam model kits
Though I tend to tag the term to pretty much every model kit done in that style. I'm interesting in owning more Kotobukiya kits. I was very impressed with their ikaruga model kit series

And there is one thing Windows has: The ability to play Civilization 4.
Windows is one thing, Windows10 (the huge botnet client and spyware kit) another. If it would come with Win7, I could understand people interested in this device a bit more although keep in mind that mobile processors aren't able to run at full speed for long before thermally induced underclocking kicks in anyway and highly optimized software is crucial for a nice experience.
Is there a way to increase the font size in Civ4 and are the system requirements low enough?
I wouldn't expect it to be able to run Civ4, at least not playable since the fonts seem to be quite tiny from what I've seen and older games seem to have some problems with Win10's compatibility.
Maybe Civ2/3 would run well if Win10 has no compatibility problems with it, and if there is a way to increase font size, but this should run on Pyra without much problems as well thanks to WINE.
I wonder how WINE will affect Pyra in general as soon as it's properly adjusted.

Damn, now I want to play Civilisation again.

Last edited:
@Klumpen.

Civ4 will easily run with the Intel processor. No problems from this side. Yes. Screen size is always a topic regarding PC games. We will see.

Back