Intografx - Completed Portable Turbografx Console!

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
Here are some pics of the completed system, complete with a video:

Final weight: a mere 750g.

Dimensions: 215 x 135 x 55mm

2im9c47.jpg

309so4i.jpg

2e3zlom.jpg

algn05.jpg

All details in the video:

YouTube: YouTube link

The worklog WIP for the system is HERE

The full worklog is on my Wordpress site, along with other tutorials, please have a look! This project (IntoGrafx) and previous one (IntoPlay) are on two sections - finished project and how-to guides on my site. That is to keep sections separate for modding the console system and also making the portable.

Please note - the Wordpress site has a limit of 35 users on at any one time, so if the site is busy, please try again in a few minutes!

Looks pretty good.

I wonder if you guys are ever going to run out of PSOne screens.

Great work! What next? Portable Xbox :lol:

EDIT: BTW, did you have to do anything regarding software? If not, how would I go about something like this? Take a peek at my sig ;) I'd love to work on things like this if it only took some soldering, etc. (carefully, of course)

Jourdy288 said:
Great work! What next? Portable Xbox :lol:

EDIT: BTW, did you have to do anything regarding software? If not, how would I go about something like this? Take a peek at my sig ;) I'd love to work on things like this if it only took some soldering, etc. (carefully, of course)

Software development is not involved, but it's a lot of electrical and mechanical work, especially to get ones that are anywhere as nice as bacteria's are. For bacteria's better mods he had to actually cut the original PCBs and locate/connect new traces between where it was cut. I imagine that this is especially difficult if those traces aren't on an outer layer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Wow, thanks. I took a look at the Wordpress Blog as well as Ben Hecks website, this is the kind of stuff I'm into! I bet I could do some of this!

Good, join the ModRetro site ( http://forums.modretro.com/index.php ) and make a portable Jourdy288!

Yes, no software needed. The board was only 2 layer so easier to locate the traces, although some of them branched two ways and both parts needed wiring to as the junctions got removed in the board reduction!

Next system? Currently working on a DreamCast (see the ModRetro forum for my WIP).

Wow, nice work, I have an extra Playstation (the original) and I'd love to make it portable! That could be something of a challenge, though, taking the optical disks into consideration...

Awesome work bacteria! I bet you've got a few more consoles to be made portable projects up your sleeve.
wink.gif

Looks cool.

I was tempted to do one of these "portablizing" projects but the thing that ruins them all is the lousy screen. Those PSX screens connected to crapposite video look really really bad.

If you can figure out a way to connect through RGB then it will dramatically improve image quality.

Yes Tag5, I have more systems up my sleeve to portablize!

DaveC - indeed, RGB is better usually. The PSone screen does RGB; and the TurboGrafx was modded to do RGB, so the image on the IntoGrafx is crisp, with good colours (as RGB).

Jourdy288 said:
Really? Wow, thanks. I took a look at the Wordpress Blog as well as Ben Hecks website, this is the kind of stuff I'm into! I bet I could do some of this!

I would suggest starting with an atari 2600 or channel f or something early and simple.

Chris

DaveC said:
Looks cool.

I was tempted to do one of these "portablizing" projects but the thing that ruins them all is the lousy screen. Those PSX screens connected to crapposite video look really really bad.

If you can figure out a way to connect through RGB then it will dramatically improve image quality.

There should be a huge amount of portable tv's for sale for next to nothing since they got rid of Analog tv in the states and portable tv's usually aren't very useful for cable or a converter box! I would imagine that you could pick up a PTV with a big sharp lcd for next to nothing.

Chris

Another great result, Bacteria! :)

Jourdy288 said:
Hopefully you finish coding the new file archive first.

:p

Gruso said:
Another great result, Bacteria! :)

Jourdy288 said:
Hopefully you finish coding the new file archive first.

:p
:lol:
Here is a possible project:

I have a Rio Karma, last night I took it apart and put it back together. I can't get it to work, I'm not sure what's wrong. Still, that 20 gig HDD, USB port, monochromatic LCD, and headphone jack are looking Mighty Tasty right about now! Any ideas what I can do with mine? The scroll wheel is apparently broken, but the 'stick' works just fine.
I bought it secondhand.
Here is the guide I used for dissection:
http://www.schenkzoola.com/karmaopen.htm

2.jpg

3779041045_c6d141f1cc_m.jpg

3779849348_4b04a70e53_m.jpg

Mmm, I'm not sure, will have to recheck. I just saw a small ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard.

Like the one here:

9.jpg

No, that doesn't take an A/V plug like Bacteria was saying. That's probably a parallel digital input. You're not going to get a console to output that.

Back