Im Having A Problem When Starting Pocketsnes

I believe someone posted that they tried at a lower firmware version, but a quick scan of this thread did not lead me to that.

There was another thread going on this topic too which is linked in this one. Perhaps they mentioned specifically downgrading the firmware.

edit: found in the Pocket SNES 7.0 thread

"Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

downgrade to 1.2.1 doesnt help. tried 6.5 and the new version...same problem. freeze in the menu or even before"

wongojack said:
downgrade to 1.2.1 doesnt help. tried 6.5 and the new version...same problem. freeze in the menu or even before

Confirmed. I did a completely NAND wipe, installed the oldest firmware, then did a steady update all the way up to the latest, testing PocketSNES at each level. No success. Nothing even came close, really.

This is an odd occurrence. It seems sporadic and unreliable. I'd love to see what's going on. One last lead I've been following is dumping a log of PocketSNES yields that it cannot find either the game folder or the settings folder, while they do indeed exist. I'm going to try formatting my card to different formats, see if I can get a better result with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it might be a change in the circuit board. Its not something anyone can see just the smallest tweak. It screws everything up on the software side but to the company the hardware looks exactly the same.

Ive now tried PocketSnes too. Its odd. It runs very poorly but when I try to overclock past default it always crashes. Also how do you exit it?

SoleGrave said:
Ive now tried PocketSnes too. Its odd. It runs very poorly but when I try to overclock past default it always crashes. Also how do you exit it?

Hi
Im having the same problem as other people,with pocketsnes not running
on wiz from thinkgeek.Ive tried running the gp2x version through ginge,it runs but everytime i go to run a rom it says "error setting dsp speed" and just returns to the ginge menu.
Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

You need to change the sound rate to 22050

wil hood said:
SoleGrave said:

Hi
Im having the same problem as other people,with pocketsnes not running
on wiz from thinkgeek.Ive tried running the gp2x version through ginge,it runs but everytime i go to run a rom it says "error setting dsp speed" and just returns to the ginge menu.
Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

Guys, you have to try PocketSNES 7.2.0. This is the last version and have a lot of bugs fixed. New games are now playable at a reasonable speed and other has improve their speed a lot.

The new pocket snes does not resolve the problem with the think geek 'dodgy batch'!
Ginge is the only way,and dont use the new pocket snes v7,use an older version,itll work better.

jduranmaster said:
Guys, you have to try PocketSNES 7.2.0. This is the last version and have a lot of bugs fixed. New games are now playable at a reasonable speed and other has improve their speed a lot.

The new version of PSNES runs like crap on ThinkGeek Wizes. I couldn't believe what a step back it was!

I recently received my wiz and am I am having the same problem. I emailed Think Geek about the issue and they told me (in spite of everything saying its a bad circuit board) that it was a software problem and I should wait for an emulator update. Not sure what to make of this.

On a different note, I think microwavecat's idea wasn't bad. Maybe his thread can be rewritten to make more sense and posted in a more prominent place?

Hi

I didn't read through this whole forum to see if this was already mentioned. If you got your wiz from thinkgeek they have a problem running pocketsnes (as you have noticed) All you need to do is download GinGE and run it through that. It will work flawlessly!!!! I had the same problem and i also bought my wiz from thinkgeek. Just download GinGE.

spetzie said:
Hi

I didn't read through this whole forum to see if this was already mentioned. If you got your wiz from thinkgeek they have a problem running pocketsnes (as you have noticed) All you need to do is download GinGE and run it through that. It will work flawlessly!!!! I had the same problem and i also bought my wiz from thinkgeek. Just download GinGE.

I'm glad that worked for you but that solution seems to have mixed results. When tried it I got around 11 FPS at best.

thedingwing said:
they told me (in spite of everything saying its a bad circuit board) that it was a software problem and I should wait for an emulator update. Not sure what to make of this.

Yeah, how can it be a software issue? Do they mean an update for Wiz firmware or an update of PSNES? If it's firmware, I downloaded the one from the net and installed that and had the exact same problems. If they mean PSNES, a new one came out that not only also doesn't run by itself, but runs very very badly with using GinGE.

I think I have found out what is causing this.

I can reproduce the lockup on PicoDrive.

Certain ThinkGeek Wiz's can't run at 200MHz, and from what it looks like, the menu on PocketSNES is in 200MHz, then only clocks higher later (if that version does it).

This is why on the Caanoo there's a buzzing sound in the menu, because it's clocked at 200MHz and causes an issue with the DAC on the audio controller.

What we need is PocketSNES running at the native 533MHz clock in the menu.. I bet this will fix it and is why Ginge works at all.

lnx64 said:

Certain ThinkGeek Wiz's can't run at 200MHz, and from what it looks like, the menu on PocketSNES is in 200MHz, then only clocks higher later (if that version does it).

This is why on the Caanoo there's a buzzing sound in the menu, because it's clocked at 200MHz and causes an issue with the DAC on the audio controller.

What we need is PocketSNES running at the native 533MHz clock in the menu.. I bet this will fix it and is why Ginge works at all.

^^^This someone should do this^^^

exsecrare said:
lnx64 said:

^^^This someone should do this^^^
It has been fixed already, see here.

Back