Pocketsnes Problem

trentg

I don't know if this is by design, deficiency in the actual hardware, or what, but the problem I'm having is that I'm playing FFIV, and when I save my game through the in-game menus, it is not recorded unless I escape to the PocketSnes menu and reset the hardware afterwards. The problem with this is that I usually forget, and so it's very tiresome to play the game because I keep losing progress. Is there any way to avoid this with the current release? Is a fix possible for a future release if not?

I'm not sure about resetting part but most emulators require you to return to their respective menus in order to auto-save SRAM data. How would the emulator have known you saved in-game? They emulator doesn't track whats going on inside the game so whenever you return to menu it then that most emulators use an auto-save feature to backup and save the sram regardless if it actually changed or not.

You say you usually forget, but forget to do what exactly? Return to the menu at all? Do you just shut the system off in the middle of your game? If this is the case, I thinks its a good practice to always return to your Wiz menu before shutting down to prevent this problem from reoccurring in other emulators and it will also reduce other problems and glitches too.

Another bit of advice, because all emulators behave differently, I also make it a habit to use save states whenever I'm finished playing a game, you know right away when you save state that your save is concrete and won't be going anywhere. I don't generally trust using sram in emulators especially when save states are so easily accessible.

Do I have to save the game in-game before I save the sram, like find a save point and save?

Yes, you still need to save in game in you plan to use SRAM. Saving the SRAM on the menu will only save up to the last point you actually saved in-game.

If you use save states however, no, you don't need to use a save point, when you load the save state it will drop you exactly where you saved the state regardless of where you are in-game or where you last saved in-game. Although even using states, I still suggest you use the in-game save points when you cross them anyways.

Back