Im Having A Problem When Starting Pocketsnes

OMG it worked! Thank you immensely, Matthew! You have made my day, friend!

Still works awesomely! Can't get Out of This World to run, however. Can anyone get it to work?

darklight1138 said:
OMG it worked! Thank you immensely, Matthew! You have made my day, friend!

Still works awesomely! Can't get Out of This World to run, however. Can anyone get it to work?

Hey, no problem dude. I just gave Out of This World a whirl, and I'm having issues with it as well. Is it loading, but then just blanking out after the menu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's the exact thing that is happening to me. Well I'm content that about everything else works :)

@MatthewQA-

Thank you so much for the fix! It actually runs even better on Ginge than on my brother's working Wiz. He'd been having a problem with save states though, so I gave him the Ginge files and that fixed that right up too. It was a quick and easy solution that let me play one of my favorite systems on my handheld and I'm so glad you posted! Now I don't have to send it back. :)

Awesome, I delayed on adding to this thread about my Ginge idea because I really didn't think it'd work. I'm thrilled that it does.

I've never gotten Out of this World to work in PocketSNES - play the Amiga version usually called Another World. You can set the UAE4All controls to use a button for jump and it works great.

yea I just wanted to contest to the same problem everyone else is having. They did set me up with a free exchange, until I realized I could just put ginge on there, and turns out my snes and mame emulators worked! =D Only thing I gotta fix now is playing Super Mario Rpg, which is mediocre at best.Anyways for everyone who got a ThinkGeek wiz, its a malfunction in the hardware, just get Ginge

wongojack said:
I've never gotten Out of this World to work in PocketSNES - play the Amiga version usually called Another World. You can set the UAE4All controls to use a button for jump and it works great.

Awesome! Just got it to work. Thanks a lot for the help!

Never had an Amiga. Any good games for it you'd recommend?

Is snes emulation on the wiz not very good or am i missing something? running it under ginge, and the games that i want to play have either terrible framerate (mario rpg, super metroid) or terrible sound (ff6)

SeeThruHead said:
Is snes emulation on the wiz not very good or am i missing something? running it under ginge, and the games that i want to play have either terrible framerate (mario rpg, super metroid) or terrible sound (ff6)

I am having no issue with Super Metroid; even with 44100 Stereo, and transparencies, standing in the rain. That puts me at about 35-40 FPS.

Super Mario RPG on the other hand, is understandable. Super Mario RPG used a special chip inside the cartridge itself, the SA-1. Which added various things, like a faster clock and extra, faster RAM(and quite a bit else).

I know there was mention of SA-1 compatible/specific emulation, but I did not hear precisely how it worked out.

As for terrible sound, go into the SNES options and check to see what the sound rate is at. It's probably at the default, 22050 mono, try bumping it up to 44100 mono(stereo is unnecessary with so little coming out, unless you're using headphones).

Sound is garbled in ff6 and there doesn't seen to be a way to fix it. Fps in super metroid drops down the 25 during the first boss battle. Mario rpg parts fine in battle but waking around the first dungeon gives about 10 fps. I'll try messing around with the settings even more though. But if someone wants to help me out with settings that work well for super metroid and ff6 if appreciate it.

SeeThruHead said:
Sound is garbled in ff6 and there doesn't seen to be a way to fix it. Fps in super metroid drops down the 25 during the first boss battle. Mario rpg parts fine in battle but waking around the first dungeon gives about 10 fps. I'll try messing around with the settings even more though. But if someone wants to help me out with settings that work well for super metroid and ff6 if appreciate it.

Huh. I have zero issues with Final Fantasy 6's sound quality. It may be slightly wavery, but not enough to be hindering. Especially considering this is the SNES.

Here are the non-default settings I use globally:
Code:
Sound Rate: 44100 mono(stereo if I use headphones or better speakers)
Transparencies: On
CPU Speed: 700
Render Mode: Unscaled(this may or may not be default)
Emulation: Fast

With these I have very little problems with any of my games so far(those using enhancement chips excepted). Super Metroid does tend to dip down into the lower side, but as long as it doesn't hit mid twenties too often, it's usually fine. If you're still having problems(try turning of the FPS as well, sometimes it can be a mental thing), mess around with the Advanced Hack settings. Like ignoring the background layers or turning on the audio performance hack.

I have been able to increase performance from ~28-40 FPS to a pretty stable ~48-51 by going into Advanced Hacks an turning on:
Code:
Ignore Background Layer 2: ON
Ignore Background Layer 3: ON

Since that gets rid of the background layer containing transparencies, you can also go disable that, and get enough 3-4 FPS.

just tried those exact settings for ff6. music almost completely covered by static sounds terrible, not going to play that, also, crashed on exit of battle. just going to give playing snes games basically. i think theres an ff6 port for gba or something, maybe ill try that.

darklight1138 said:
wongojack said:

Awesome! Just got it to work. Thanks a lot for the help!

Never had an Amiga. Any good games for it you'd recommend?

Check out the top games list on LemonAmiga: http://www.lemonamiga.com/

The version of UAE on the Wiz will not play some of the games, but its a good place to start to get yourself familiarized with the system. My #1 game of all time is Pirates! on the Commodore64 and the Amiga version is a great step up (Works on the Wiz).

There are several guides for using UAE4All on these boards if you search. I've personally responded to several posters asking questions about it.

Damn, wish I didn't send mine back. When I ordered it from ThinkGeek, they included all the accessories but the dongle to hook up the wireless usb key (they included the wireless key). I sent it back to get all the accessories. I could have lived without the dongle but I sent it back just to see if it made a difference with the snes emulator. No worries, glad someone figured it out.

Samurai_Shippo said:
When I ordered it from ThinkGeek, they included all the accessories but the dongle to hook up the wireless usb key (they included the wireless key).

This is so weird. I've heard a number of different accessories coming with the Wiz, but I seem to have received bare minimum. Just the Wiz and the USB(M) to Wiz adapter.

Same here. Didn't get anything but the USB cable and a disc. I don't want to have to send it back just for them to send me a dongle which I probably won't use, but if it's supposed to come with it.

darklight1138 said:
Same here. Didn't get anything but the USB cable and a disc. I don't want to have to send it back just for them to send me a dongle which I probably won't use, but if it's supposed to come with it.

My luck is they will just send me back the bare minimum, then I'm going apeshit on thinkgeek's customer support.

I emailed ThinkGeek about what is supposed to come with the Wiz and they said that it was only the unit, the cable, and the disc. They said that other retailers may offer the USB dongle and etc. but not them. Humm....

darklight1138 said:
I emailed ThinkGeek about what is supposed to come with the Wiz and they said that it was only the unit, the cable, and the disc. They said that other retailers may offer the USB dongle and etc. but not them. Humm....

Well, they only sent me back the unit. I got pissed, they gave me a gift certificate for what was paid for it and I'm going to get the Caanoo. My mom paid full price for it before the $99 sale and I didn't know about the new model when I asked for it for christmas (back in October). So I'm just waiting for the store credit and I will take whatever they send me with the Caanoo.

But ya, when I opened it christmas morning, it was still in the shipping box. It had the leather case, screen protectors, accessory pack, and a usb wireless dongle. I'm willing to bet that they got some boxes that are that way and others that are not.

I got mine from ThinkGeek last week. I've known about the GP32 Series of handhelds for a very long time, but always out of my price range. So when I saw the sale, I just bought it.

I have:
Version 1.2.6
Firmware Linux 2.6.25 Revision: 359
S/N 2010.11.22 - GP2XV103 - 00000705

Has anyone tried downgrading the firmware and upgrading it back up? and see if the PocketSNES problem goes away?

MAME runs, but there are some issue. Raiden is way to slow and stuttery and in Galaga I dont get the crash sounds. Could be configuration problems on my end.

I'll try the GinGe fix everyone has been talking about.

Back