Im Having A Problem When Starting Pocketsnes

Samurai, is your only problem the SNES not working? I want to know if ThinkGeek accepts that as a reason to return it. If I do return it, does anyone know if I should return it to ThinkGeek or send it to GPH to get fixed? It seems like GPH would take way longer.

I also can't get Doom to run on my system. I've got the newest version of prboom and the .wad files and followed the directions exactly. It just hangs on the goshdern loading screen. I'm getting a little unhappy now. Wonder if it has something to do with the 3d aspects of the SNES and other games?

I think I read somewhere that production of Wiz units was stopped at some point and brought back due to demand. Does anyone know when that happened? Maybe there was a hardware change or something that's causing problems. Seems people who upgraded themselves to 1.2.6 have no problems while those of us who received our units with 1.2.6 already installed are having trouble...

Yeah, there has to be some hardware issue going on. I sent a message to ThinkGeek about the problem but have yet to hear back, but then again it hasn't quite been 24 hours. Maybe they're trying to lower the cost of production and have taken a few shortcuts and in turn reduced the capability?

I actually msged thinkgeek about the problem more than a couple days ago. Anyone having this problem with the units they got from thinkgeek should probably do the same. The more awareness we get on this issue the greater chance of getting a fix we'll have. I also posted to the GPH facebook but still no response from there either.

darklight1138 said:
I also can't get Doom to run on my system. I've got the newest version of prboom and the .wad files and followed the directions exactly. It just hangs on the goshdern loading screen. I'm getting a little unhappy now. Wonder if it has something to do with the 3d aspects of the SNES and other games?

I was able to get ChexQuest to work with no issues. That runs the PrBoom engine. I'm actually sending it back because they didn't send me the dongle to hook the wireless key to the wiz. They can't just send me the part, I have to send the whole thing back so they can send it back to me with the missing part. So this should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was my Wiz supposed to come with that?? I didn't get anything but the Wiz, a disc, a cable, and a crappy manual.

I'm pretty sure that you can return an item to ThinkGeek within 30 days for any reason. Tell them it doesn't match your shoes or that you just don't want it. The most it will cost you is like $7.95 return postage via UPS. I recommended the Wiz to a friend and he is going to return his and just order a Caanoo - they will figure out the SNES emulation on the Caanoo, so if that is a big enough problem for you then you could make the same choice.

Another option here is that EvilDragon may get one of these units returned to his store. Perhaps if he gets one someone that did the development for PocketSNES could take a look.

i just made a comment http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56004-pocketsnes-v7-0/page__view__findpost__p__931942 - maybe you could try this out before sending you wiz back, to see what actually happens.

I'm having an identical problem. Here's the funny thing, though(after trying and reading through this thread, I found someone suggested this, but no one tried it), it runs perfectly under GinGE, full 50-60 emulation.

This is from the latest download straight off the archive site.

Regardless, I tried dumping a log file as well, and got a rather simple error message:

Code:
Loading global menu options
Failed to load global options, so using defaults
Loading default rom directory
Failed to default rom dir, so using current dir

MatthewQA said:
I'm having an identical problem. Here's the funny thing, though(after trying and reading through this thread, I found someone suggested this, but no one tried it), it runs perfectly under GinGE, full 50-60 emulation.

This is from the latest download straight off the archive site.

Regardless, I tried dumping a log file as well, and got a rather simple error message:

Code:
Loading global menu options
Failed to load global options, so using defaults
Loading default rom directory
Failed to default rom dir, so using current dir

well thats seriously odd that it runs through ginge but not "natively". the log file doesn't show anything, i expected some missing lib file. bummer.

So youre saying that the recent version for the wiz runs roms well under ginge? Definitely going to try that when I get home. I did try to run an older version of pocket snes designed for the gp2x, which I thought was what ginge was meant for, but that didn't work. Never once crossed my mind to run the new version under ginge. Thanks!

Yep, the "Wiz" version of pocketSNES runs flawlessly under GinGE, which makes me wonder if someone compiled/uploaded the wrong version to the wrong section.

On another note, crow_riot, I used the logging script you supplied to run gPSP in hopes of debugging my issue with that as well. I edited my last post on the thread "Gpsp help", and I was wondering if I could possibly get your input on that as well.

SeeThruHead said:
it does indeed work! too bad ffIII is crashing for me though :(

Oh really? I just tried it and didn't have any issues. When does it crash?

I've never heard of GinGE before. I've been looking online and haven't found anything to help me out with downloading and installing it. Can someone point me to a good website or even provide a step by step?

In other news I received word back from ThinkGeek. It was a good reply but nothing helpful. They just indicated that they have had similar reports from others.

darklight1138 said:
I've never heard of GinGE before. I've been looking online and haven't found anything to help me out with downloading and installing it. Can someone point me to a good website or even provide a step by step

GinGE is a compatibility layer for the Wiz that allows it to run GP2x applications. Front-end wise, it's just like running the GP2x firmware. Technically, it's not an emulator, but it has the same function.

You can find and download GinGE from the archive[ here ] or visit the main site[ here ].

The program itself is pretty simple. Copy it to your SD or NAND just like any other program and run it. You should soon be greeted by the GP2x menu system, where you can select a game from your SD card or NAND. Just select pocketSNES and it should start up full-bore.

Back