Im Having A Problem When Starting Pocketsnes

Wiznoob

Still Fresh
Im having a problem when I start PocketSNES. I get to the main menu then 2 seconds later, the screen freezes. Ive tried re-downloading it, I tried using 7.1 and 6.5 with same effect. Only once was I quick enough to run a game before it froze and it worked,but the other 100 times the menu screen froze. The other emulators are workin great but PocketSNES is going to make me throw the Wiz out the window if I cant get my Ignition Factor working. Any help would be awesome

wiznoob said:
Im having a problem when I start PocketSNES. I get to the main menu then 2 seconds later, the screen freezes. Ive tried re-downloading it, I tried using 7.1 and 6.5 with same effect. Only once was I quick enough to run a game before it froze and it worked,but the other 100 times the menu screen froze. The other emulators are workin great but PocketSNES is going to make me throw the Wiz out the window if I cant get my Ignition Factor working. Any help would be awesome

I'm experiencing the exact same thing!

I just got my wiz from thinkgeek and the other emulators work fine but not PocketSNES. I've tried it running on my SD card as well as the standard Wiz memory and it looks up after just a few seconds.

MAME, NES and AMiga all work like champs. But I really want some SNES.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a problem with pocketsnes as well, got a 1.2.6 from thinkgeek and pocketsnes loads to a black screen and the whole system locks up. :(

I got my wiz a couple of days ago and pocket snes works just fine for me. Sorry for the non constructive response.

Just want to add some info. I just got my wiz from the thinkgeek sale. I dunno if its a problem with this particular batch of Wiz's or what. I've tried pocketsnes 6.5 and 7.1 and it doesn't even get to the menu screen. Wiz just goes black and locks up. Very Frustrating as why wiz seems to not do the one emulation that I got it for, but runs everything else fine so i dont think I can return it claiming defect. Not really sure what to do since everyone else on this board minus the few of us in this thread seem to have 7.1 working fine on the new firmware....

EDIT: I created a overclocking script using pickles overclock file. Used to to load pocketsnes 7.1 fast at 700mhz and this time i got past the black screen and to the title screen of pocketsnes before it locked up. I have no idea really what that means or what I have to do to fix this lockup problem but I'm going to keep screwing with it...for now

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Got mine from Thinkgeek as well. Runs everything but the SNES emulator. Tried both versions and they crash at the menu or not come up at all.

This may be related but I also can't launch dosbox. It will just crash. Don't know if it is related.

This is sort of comforting/worrisome, I got my Wiz from the ThinkGeek sale too and I am having the same exact problem. I updated (although it may have downgraded) to 1.2.1 firmware, so I thought that was it, but if others are having the same problem maybe not.

I updated mine to the most recent firmware 1.2.6 and the only things I can't get to run are DosBox (starts with a cursor in the corner then dies) and the PocketSNES. Dosbox may be a config issue but no reason why the PocketSNES would die like that. Everything else runs fine, the gpfce-wiz Nes emulator runs great, picodrive and scummvm run with no issues. I've also gotten Nethack and OpenTyrian running (OpenTyrian crashes on close if I use .gpe file instead of .gpu to launch). Mame seems to work but I have no roms for it. VICE also runs as well although it is a little slow (that may have just been what I was using for testing). I wonder if it is just something with the way the SNES emulator was compiled and if they made some slight hardware change in more recent models. I know with the most recent firmware they support wifi (though thinkgeek didn't send me the usb to wiz converter but the usb wireless dongle). I can live without a SNES emulator and I am working on the dosbox issue, but I would like to know why.

I may download the developers kit to see if I can get Dosbox to work, kinda hard not being able to see a console or any error on output.

Update: I downloaded Dosbox Pack 1.8 and was able to get duke nukem 1 working. No sound but I think we can rule out Dosbox as working, so it just seems to be the SNES emulator.

So it sounds like this is happening regardless of the software version or firmware version.

Is there something that the snes software does that that other emulators don't? i.e. it mentions SRAM in the settings - do the other emulators use this?

I'm also curious if there is some way to enable some sort of logging with pocketsnes that would enable us to get some sort of indicatation as to what caused the program to stop.

I know that the SNES development forked recently with the gspain guys taking over... I wonder if we can involve them in this discussion.

-shiitake

Very strange.

I wonder if you run Ginge and emulate an F200 running SNES if that would work?

@SeeThruHead - If you use the same script to underclock the Wiz, I wonder what would happen?

Still on 1.2.1 firmware, thought I'd add some info.
I downloaded 6.5 first and sometimes was able to see the title screen, but I couldn't use the d-pad and it just froze up. On 7.1 i just get a black screen every time. I haven't tried DosBox but I don't know any programming and it sounds like I need to know how to use a developer's kit, so I'll wait until that gets solved for lesser minds like myself.
@wongojack: I'm sorry but I don't know what that Ginge recommendation means. if you explain it to me, I'll gladly try it. Sorry!
@Samurai_Shippo: I got the USB to Wiz wire, so maybe ThinkGeek packages them individually and just gave you something wrong? I hope I understood what you were trying to say- you got a wireless Wifi USB dongle, right?

Ok i used the script to underclock the wiz and there was no difference, same black screen. I did load up ginge and launched pocketsnes 6.4.5 for gp2x and it runs nicely, until you load a rom where it says: Error setting DSP speed. and then exits out to ginge menu. So still so luck getting SNES games to run for me.

I just wanted to add that my brother and I both got a Wiz for Christmas, and while his works just fine mine is having the same problem with pocketsnes crashing ALL THE TIME. I've tried dozens of versions and different SNES emulators on the thing, and not a single one works. I'm really upset because SNES is one of my favorite systems and the whole reason I wanted the Wiz to begin with.

Based on my experience, I'm wondering if it was maybe a bad batch of systems. I'm going to send mine back and get a replacement as I also have a couple of dead pixels on my screen. I'll let you know how it goes and if the new one works.

Moogle, do you think that I could return my wiz just for the SNES problem? It sounds like you have a legitimate problem with the dead pixels, but it might not be enought to have the SNES problem.

I am having the exact same problem! Got mine from ThinkGeek as well. PLEASE I hope this is fixed!

@ham-

I'm not sure, but it can't hurt to try. It doesn't run as advertised, and it doesn't run programs that run fine on other people's systems. That's enough of a reason for a return for me.

I'm debating on downgrading to firmware 1.1.0 or whatever it is. I do not want to do this but I want the ability to play SNES games. I'm also having a few problems with MAME. Some of them work but a whole lot do not.

@dark- I'm having problems with MAME as well, I don't know if they're just bad roms but I've looked at comments on some of them and they're well reviewed so I doubt it. When I try to load up a rom I am usually told that I'm missing a bunch of files.

Yeah, ham, that's what I'm getting too. I guess it's just a matter of trial and error to see which ones work and which ones don't.

mooglecat said:
I just wanted to add that my brother and I both got a Wiz for Christmas, and while his works just fine mine is having the same problem with pocketsnes crashing ALL THE TIME. I've tried dozens of versions and different SNES emulators on the thing, and not a single one works. I'm really upset because SNES is one of my favorite systems and the whole reason I wanted the Wiz to begin with.

Based on my experience, I'm wondering if it was maybe a bad batch of systems. I'm going to send mine back and get a replacement as I also have a couple of dead pixels on my screen. I'll let you know how it goes and if the new one works.

I may send mine back since I spoke with them about the missing part and the only way they will send it is for me to send the whole damn thing back to them. I'm debating. I may have to try ginge to see if that does it.

Made up my mind, I'm sending it back for a replacement. I'll let you guys know if that takes care of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back