If Super Mario Bros. was designed in 2011

This game would now be called 'Sick Mario Bluds' for a start

Did anyone mention the massive T&A physics when you finally rescue Peach?

Let us be Pen Pals then.
smile.gif

22450Unicorn1.jpg
oh, thats funny. lol

Yupp, it is from a guy from the "3D Center Forum" where I also fly around. Really good Video and so true. It just hit's the Nail on the Head. :)

I just miss endless cut scenes every 5 seconds. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is that nerly every 3D shooter game today seems to have endless cut scenes, which is a pretty bad thing IMHO. ;) So a parody of this would really fit into the Video here. ^^

Only Indy games still dare to challenge the player these days.
Ahe-he-hem... Cough-Mega Man-cough.

:p

Assuming Capcom doesn't cancel his games. Mega Man hasn't had a new game since Mega Man 10, and it wasn't as memorable as 9 was. Not to mention it included that noob mode that actually materialized blocks over spikes, and spikes didn't kill you in one hit. Sure, it's just a difficulty mode, but it's a sad sign of things to come. Mega Man's pretty much dead ever since Inafune left. All the proof anyone needs are the games that have been canceled by Capcom since.

To be honest I don't know where to look anymore for current gen difficulty. Etrian Odyssey is an awesome dungeon crawler series, and the hardest RPG I've ever played, but that's only one genre.

Assuming Capcom doesn't cancel his games.
That's indeed assuming quite a lot. ;)

Mega Man hasn't had a new game since Mega Man 10, and it wasn't as memorable as 9 was. Not to mention it included that noob mode that actually materialized blocks over spikes, and spikes didn't kill you in one hit. Sure, it's just a difficulty mode, but it's a sad sign of things to come.
Because Mega Man 2 sure did the wrong thing by having a similar option, right? ;) (I do wish 10's had been more like that, but I guess you can't have everything. It's way better than excluding newcomers and youngsters, at least, and having new people discover the series is essential.)

Anyway, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, here. Mega Man 9 was a horribly-designed game that only gets a pass from the folks who seem to have forgotten that Keiji Inafune himself nixed a proper retail 9 (and Legends 3) by Inti Creates back around circa 2005 or so, and who believed all the flimsy excuses made for trying to pretend it was like a NES game and devolving the series from its previous, much better, state in the process. There are far too many situations where you will die due to unfair object-placement and excessive use of spikes, and there are far too many sections which you're expected to use weapons to pass without dying once, and if you die due to the unfair stage design you're stuck because 1: you're out of weapon-energy, and 2: weapon energy pick-ups don't respawn. I found that it's also got completely forgettable music (with the exception of Tornado Man's theme, for some reason), but that's subjective. :p It was a real shame that all of that waiting ended up being for that abomination.

10's a MUCH better and better-made game, and resolves most of 9's design problems (and all of its music problems). It only gets accused of not being as good because the excuses for making a "fake NES game" downloadable instead of a proper retail game don't hold up, even with the folks who believed them about 9, for a second time in a row. More than that, Mega Man 10 has infinitely more heart than 9 ever had (to try to be fair to it I'm just going to overlook 9's contradictory and broken plot points, which even Hitoshi Ariga had to make something to try to combat), which is surely partly because it's its own game, rather than being directed by Inafune to try to bring back the glory days of Mega Man 2 and to try to pretend it's something it's not. (The proof of the pudding is in the eating, they say, and I never felt compelled to bother finishing 9 even once due to its many design problems, whereas I've wanted to play through 10 about fifteen or more times. :p )

My super-biggest gripe with both is having to pay extra for half the content (something I didn't do at all with 9, and only did begrudgingly with one item for 10 because I don't believe you should withhold the important playable characters, so I had to give a wallet-vote there), but that's sadly typical of Capcom in this day and age, and probably a bigger factor in the apparent lack of Mega Man games at the moment (as people obviously won't stand for it there) than the beliefs that businesses are run like school playgrounds or any of the other oddball theories that people are floating. :p

Mega Man's pretty much dead ever since Inafune left. All the proof anyone needs are the games that have been canceled by Capcom since.
If that's all the proof that anyone needs, then by that logic Mega Man was pretty much dead when Inafune was still with Capcom.

After all, they canned more games while he was still there than they have recently! ;) Specifically, during Inafune's tenure they canned at least Mega Man X5 for the GP32, Mega Man Mania for the Game Boy Advance, and Rockman Scramble Battle for the Wii, at the very least, along with both the Western release of RockBoard as well as what I recall to be one DS game that, whilst not officially announced under any name, I vaguely remember did get a mention in the press under a codename at one point ("Shin Rockman DS"), but I'm pretty sure never came to anything. That's not including the versions of Mega Man 9 and MegaMan Legends 3 that Inafune killed off, but if we include those two, the known number is at least six or seven cancelled games while he was there, compared to two since he left, only one of which was of any importance and again needs noting was previously canned by Inafune himself. I'm quite sure that there are some that I'm missing, which aren't coming to mind at this particular moment.

The only thing that the recent cancellations prove is that games that likely weren't going to pay for their development costs got cancelled.

Mega Man Universe, in particular, was very likely to be a huge disaster, being a follow-up to some sterling retcon-flops that nobody wanted in the first place, and was not only disrespecting the series' mythos (something you should NEVER do), but was by Capcom's own admission aimed at the very niche audience of immature grown men who never learned to treat possessions with due respect, rather than at people who wanted a Mega Man game. Moreover, it wasn't getting fantastic reports from people who had played it (the mythos-breaking additions were also game-breaking, according to them), and it was a download-only game (already a nail in the coffin) on hardware where it was not going to sell very well anyway (the biggest userbase is elsewhere, and Mega Man is something far more suited to the all-audiences crowd than that of the HD Twins) - a mistake Capcom has made before with the games this was following up. It was refreshing to see that they actually learned from that mistake.

The only thing they really did wrong with MegaMan Legends 3 was not sticking to their word and giving the prologue-game a market test, and the Japanese head-office's horrid PR handling of the cancellation. The only other problem is that their foresight was/is poor, and looking back now it's looking more evident that it probably would have done better than the previous Legends titles. At the time, it's easy to see how this was not at all obvious to them, though, and I can fully understand the decision from that standpoint, especially considering that by the time it was finished it would have been competing with a market of titles with much more wide-ranging appeal. It would have had that problem to a degree even if it were finished in time for this upcoming Christmas, too, and it's my understanding that it was going to take longer than that.

To be honest I don't know where to look anymore for current gen difficulty. Etrian Odyssey is an awesome dungeon crawler series, and the hardest RPG I've ever played, but that's only one genre.
Let me know if you find anything in other genres. I'm always after a decent platformer, myself. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back