Website
Visit site
Here's my current five favourites:

:) Super Mario Bros 3

:) Super Mario World

:) New Super Mario Bros

:) Donkey Kong Country 1

:) Super Mario Bros 2

Hmm rather Nintendo-y! However, I did once play Alex Kidd to death on the Megadrive..

I'm sure that many Amiga platformers would be more playable if Jump was a button rather than joystick-up.

Since this is in off topic I think one of the best platform games ever is Wardner arcade, it is on mame. Alas not yet on gp2x mame.

The 8-bit Sonic games were pretty good, definitely worth checking out in addition to the Genesis ones. I finished Sonic Chaos twice yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it. I do find that they lack the depth of the Mario titles, though.

Bubble and Squeak is a nice platform game for Genesis. I couldn't finish the second level this afternoon (which was a level in a boat) but the first level looks really nice and the game is fun. Try to beat level 2 to see if the rest is fun as well.

Ow, and then you have:
Chip 'n Dale (NES) don't know if it was 1 or 2 (the one with the mechanic dogs in level 1)
Ducktales (NES)
Little Nemo: The Dreammaster (NES) <<If you don't know this one, try it now!

Genesis: Soliel (Zelda Clone, kind of)

GB: Zelda: DX, Ages and Seasons =O they are hard!

SNES: Super Demon World: Super Mario World hack, but so different from the original it's crazy...

MAME: Athena (you'll kill yourself in frustration! Also don't play the NES version...)

Zelda DX is extremely hard. i havent been able to finish it yet ive been playing it for ages. Speaking of Ages i've finished that cause i found that it was better than seasons.

Anyway, try Mickey Mania on megadrive. it came out on Snes but is way better on the megadrive

I've been re-playing the gb&copy; mario land games; 2, 3 and 4.. completed all em now tho so now im trying to complete SMW for the 1st time :D

I've finished both DX, Seasons and Ages on my gbc. (hell, I even finished the Seasons/Ages continuisation as I own both of them)
Come on, they're not -that- hard. :p

Donkey Kong Country 3 was the pinnacle of platform gaming for me.

Its probably only because I remember it being my most eagerly anticipated game ever as a kid. Still love playing it with my little brother now.

Also, try the MegaMan games- they are difficult but good.

Goity posted on Aug 22 2006 at 12:01 AM said:
Spyro 3.

Also Sonic 2 totally owns any 2d mario game
Oh I totally agree with Spyro the Dragon, any of the first 3 games are fantastic!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on Aug 21 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
Tomba! on PSX is a pretty good one I'm re-discovering. A bit of non-linear platforming, a bit of RPG'ing.

That would be RPG'ish :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back