iCP2: They're throwing in the towel.

Very weird, but much appreciated update, it's good to see there has been some communication between Link & Craig.

What I can't get my head round is the 'sudden increase in cost' business, a few specifics here might help with general understanding.

If it was the domed keymat, why not just use a Pandora style keymat?

If it was the back lighting / leds, why not abandon the idea of backlighting?

etc.

The other thing that seems really odd to me is the overall lack of confidence in the product from Craig. This of course is mere guesswork but I'd expect there to be a potential market of 10's of thousands for iCP2 if it went into production, but no account seems to have been taken for future sales. 

Of course the major disappointment is that no effort has been made to come clean regarding costs incurred for things like the molds, case, hinge clamp, etc.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the molds were ever made.  It seemed he was still making case design changes right up until close to the project cancellation. Was there ever an update on the molds having been created?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through all the KS updates, there was never an update that said the moulds had been made. Just an update that said they were working with the mould company to get a design they could make a mould for.

What I don't understand is why all the iControlPads 1 have not been shipped to the backers... they were finished end of 2012...
The (84) pledges for iCP1's-only *were* delivered. Only the (117) iCP1/iCP2-pledges were not sent out, most likely because of the extra shipping costs when sending them separately.

Even those 84 that were delivered.. a number of people had problems.. missing buttons... some buttons weren't coloured as they should have been..

I may be wrong, but I don't think the molds were ever made.  It seemed he was still making case design changes right up until close to the project cancellation. Was there ever an update on the molds having been created?
If they were Craig is the only person who ever saw them or a case made by them. I see no reason to believe molds were created.

I also see no reason for Craig to suddenly pipe in now with an apology, albeit one that blames everyone else but himself. Perhaps he's getting pressure from someone? Either way I hope no one is falling for his bullshit. But sadly, I suspect some of the die hard apologists are.

What actually are dome caps?  individual plastic tops of "keys"?
Dome caps are those small copper pads (bowed) that are sticked onto the PCB. When you press them, they make a contact and spring back into their original shape.

It's those tiny clicky keyboards from smartphones.
Like these: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EVQ-PQHB55/P8090STR-ND/259543
More like the switches used in the Atari 2600 controllers. The contacts are the traces on the circuit board, and the domed piece of metal is usually taped in place. The product shown in that link is a fully assembled switch, much too expensive for a device with as many switches as the Pyra will have.

For pictures of these switches, see about 54 seconds into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_cRIFhsMSTU?feature=oembed

What actually are dome caps?  individual plastic tops of "keys"?
Dome caps are those small copper pads (bowed) that are sticked onto the PCB. When you press them, they make a contact and spring back into their original shape.

It's those tiny clicky keyboards from smartphones.
Like these: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EVQ-PQHB55/P8090STR-ND/259543
More like the switches used in the Atari 2600 controllers. The contacts are the traces on the circuit board, and the domed piece of metal is usually taped in place. The product shown in that link is a fully assembled switch, much too expensive for a device with as many switches as the Pyra will have.
Yep,  like those.

Very weird, but much appreciated update, it's good to see there has been some communication between Link & Craig.
There has?

We  know Link announced the product has been cancelled and parts are tried to be sold, then a month later Craig comes around and tells everyone he has been trying to get additional money to get it working...

If the parts had been sold in the meantime, they  would've been sold at a lower price.

And the he'd even need more money to buy them anew...

That doesn't sound like communication.

It makes more sense if it was all past tense... I cannot believe these talks are happening now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It makes more sense if it was all past tense... I cannot believe these talks are happening now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I don't believe the talks are happening at all. I'm certain that Craig has blown most or all of the money and is now stringing Link along, just like he did with his backers throughout the project. I know some parts were ordered but I'm sure he won't be able to account for the remaining money for molds, cases, clamps, nubs, manufacturing and shipping. He's lied over and over again, why on earth would he suddenly start being honest now? It's just more smoke, mirrors and horseshit.

I was really hoping Link was smarter then this. Instead he just second hands the info Craig strings him along with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Unless Craig has something he can hold over Link? Seriously, man up and post a real clear and transparent update for once in this project. Even if it says "Craig screwed me over and I don't know how to pick up the pieces". If those exact words were posted, I'd call off the dogs and drop it because it would be the first posting of true honesty. The only reason why I continue and encourage others to do so is because Link stating absolutely nothing, or passing the blame with relayed Craig updates makes things even worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Unless Craig has something he can hold over Link? Seriously, man up and post a real clear and transparent update for once in this project. Even if it says "Craig screwed me over and I don't know how to pick up the pieces". If those exact words were posted, I'd call off the dogs and drop it because it would be the first posting of true honesty. The only reason why I continue and encourage others to do so is because Link stating absolutely nothing, or passing the blame with relayed Craig updates makes things even worse. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
I agree. I thought craig was the main culprit in this scam but the silence from Link is deafening.

Again these guys have $200k and have nothing to show for it. It's a scam. The way they've got away with this is criminal

Unless Craig has something he can hold over Link? Seriously, man up and post a real clear and transparent update for once in this project. Even if it says "Craig screwed me over and I don't know how to pick up the pieces". If those exact words were posted, I'd call off the dogs and drop it because it would be the first posting of true honesty. The only reason why I continue and encourage others to do so is because Link stating absolutely nothing, or passing the blame with relayed Craig updates makes things even worse. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
I agree. I thought craig was the main culprit in this scam but the silence from Link is deafening.

Again these guys have $200k and have nothing to show for it. It's a scam. The way they've got away with this is criminal
We have. We've got all the parts except for the molds and the nubs.

I can show you pictures of 100 finished PCBs (fully assembled) and could organize pictures of the parts and the bare PCBs.

But nothing about the case - as that was Craigs job.

"Craig screwed me over and I don't know how to pick up the pieces"

I think the only thing I would change here is the word "me", to us.  As per the pieces, well, I'm doing the best I can.
Thats what I thought!! Its a shitstorm.

Just do your best.

Back