I Went Over To The Dark Side... Got A Dslite + 1gig Flashcart

geniv posted on Oct 17 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up on a SNES emulator. I don't bother with emulators that don't run at least 40fps with sound.

If I want to see slideshows I'll download a bunch of JPG...

right now if I can get fullscreen DS emulators for GB/GBC, NES, GENESIS, TG16 I'll be as happy as pie. I"m sure the DS hardware is capable of it.

Yes and no. I don't know what you expect from it but 256 x 192 resolution will not be running 320 x 220 Genesis too well. GB/GBC should be fine and NES if you don't mind a few missing pixels.

The DS just isn't a good emu system due to the screen and low CPU speed. It is good for the original stuff and GBA though and I think that is what it excells at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity posted on Oct 16 2006 at 06:26 PM said:
Why the fuck do people think that Japanese programmers are the best? It's insane.
It's obvious, isn't it? Relative to many countries like the US and Britain, the Japanese eat much more food that's rich in omega-3 fatty acids (fish, largely) instead of omega-6. The brain's synapses are made up of, in the majority, omega-3 fatty acid DHA. omega-6 intake can cause the more elastic omega-3 fatty acids to be replaced with less flexible ones, thus reducing the efficiency of neurotransmitters (serotonin and dopamine, for example).

Either that, or some people are just wankers.

I sold my DSlite for a GP2X, the reasons for this is :

-I hate friends code..
-Online communication is a lackluster
-Games are short
-4MB of ram
-Dead red pixel
-The stylus kept falling out
-Batterys would die , and I had to wait till end of the day to go home and charge
-Community is full of little children, that cant type correctly or fail to express a complete though.

Cervante posted on Oct 18 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
I sold my DSlite for a GP2X, the reasons for this is :

-I hate friends code..
-Online communication is a lackluster
-Games are short
-4MB of ram
-Dead red pixel
-The stylus kept falling out
-Batterys would die , and I had to wait till end of the day to go home and charge
-Community is full of little children, that cant type correctly or fail to express a complete though.

- no idea what a friend codes are :p as I'm an adult and none of the people I know personally have a DS.
- no idea about online comm. I played Mario Kart and Metroid hunter online with no problem. (tho there's really not much setting when connecting just connects and pair u with people with no control on your side)
- Depends on the game. There's plently of long games for the GBA. I'm sure there are long RPG on the DS
- 4 mb ram. is really not "small" as it handles memory different and games are in a cart.
say with the GP2x. it has 32 megs but when it load a game, the info is loaded into the memory to play. with the DS and other cart based games. they don't need alot of memory to load the game. the game get's the info directly off the cart so you don't load much if anything into the memory at all.

- it must be you, my stylus stays on no problem, and my battery life liast like 6-8 hours and I have no dead pixe. I think u got a bad unit you could always exchange the unit.

- I don't go on communities or what every it is for the NDS. I go on general gaming forums.

tho tho I do wish the ds have higher resolution so when I play NES I don't get missing lines. and i do wish it have faster cpu like the gp2x.

I already got gp2x (love it) and am in the process of deciding if I should get ds lite. DS lite + DS-Xtreme should be a nice combo and they have a decent homebrew scene. There's DSLinux :) If I can have another handheld linux box I am going to love it.

geniv posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:19 AM said:
GBC doesn't work on my M3 Lite.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on a SNES emulator. I don't bother with emulators that don't run at least 40fps with sound.

right now if I can get fullscreen DS emulators for GB/GBC, NES, GENESIS, TG16 I'll be as happy as pie. I"m sure the DS hardware is capable of it.
If you can run GBA stuff, then Goomba should work: you'll just need to look on the official site (though the forums have a more up to date version) and process your GB roms in the correct way.

SnezziDS does run at full speed with sound for many games, sometimes there are minor glitches in the graphics. I've managed to complete Super Mario World on it and I got to the dark world on Zelda before going back to the GBA version :)

NES DS is one of the best NES emulators I've seen. It is full speed, with sound and you can configure how it handles the resolution difference (you can scale it as much or as little as you like) and it even has a rewind feature!

Picodrive on the DS runs Sonic 1 nearly full speed, but with no sound. It is worth a try but you wouldn't want to play anything for a long time on it yet.

I've not tried anything else other than the Mac emulator (which I couldn't get to work).

Orkie posted on Oct 24 2006 at 06:44 AM said:
geniv posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:19 AM said:
GBC doesn't work on my M3 Lite.

If you can run GBA stuff, then Goomba should work: you'll just need to look on the official site (though the forums have a more up to date version) and process your GB roms in the correct way.

SnezziDS does run at full speed with sound for many games, sometimes there are minor glitches in the graphics. I've managed to complete Super Mario World on it and I got to the dark world on Zelda before going back to the GBA version :)

NES DS is one of the best NES emulators I've seen. It is full speed, with sound and you can configure how it handles the resolution difference (you can scale it as much or as little as you like) and it even has a rewind feature!

Picodrive on the DS runs Sonic 1 nearly full speed, but with no sound. It is worth a try but you wouldn't want to play anything for a long time on it yet.

I've not tried anything else other than the Mac emulator (which I couldn't get to work).

I don't like GBA based emulator on the DS as it's small and not full screen. To me the GBA display is kind of small already with the GB emulator the screen is even smaller.. really annoying.

I"m looking for a DS based GB/GBC thtat can stretch the image so I don't have to squint and strain my eyes to play the games.

btw: how is the display in the SnezziDS emuolator? how is the resolution diference handled? I take it that there's alot of lines cut out. as the SNES is higher resolution than the NES already.

geniv posted on Oct 24 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
I don't like GBA based emulator on the DS as it's small and not full screen. To me the GBA display is kind of small already with the GB emulator the screen is even smaller.. really annoying.

*lowers head in shame for being in the same species as this person*

Shikaku posted on Oct 24 2006 at 12:42 PM said:
geniv posted on Oct 24 2006 at 12:23 PM said:

*lowers head in shame for being in the same species as this person*

if you like playing GB games a roughtly 1.5x the size of a quarter. that's fine with me...
take alook at this picture to see what I mean...

http://www.geniv.com/kin/reviews/ndsl/IMG_0153.JPG

geniv posted on Oct 24 2006 at 05:23 PM said:
btw: how is the display in the SnezziDS emuolator? how is the resolution diference handled? I take it that there's alot of lines cut out. as the SNES is higher resolution than the NES already.
I can't really tell the difference (though I'm sure certain other people around here would claim they could and that it annoyed them to the point they couldn't bear to look at the screen) between the proper resolution on a TV and on the DS. It is scaled, but you can only see it in some games and even then you have to look for it (certain parts of Zelda you can spot it, particularly near the pyramid but for Mario World, I didn't see it at all).

Ive just ordered a flashcart for my DS (its cathcing dust because of the gp2x) because im a warez whore :p

GP2x for homebrew & emulation
+ DS for commercial games
----------------------------------------
Perfect.

geniv posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:30 PM said:

*Ponders what's the word for obliteration of the human race again? I can't be more shamed for being in the same species as this person, for disliking the GB emulator on the GBA because "it's not fullscreen"*

Seriously, is THIS the reason you dislike the GP2X?

Shikaku posted on Oct 24 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
geniv posted on Oct 24 2006 at 02:30 PM said:

*Ponders what's the word for obliteration of the human race again? I can't be more shamed for being in the same species as this person, for disliking the GB emulator on the GBA because "it's not fullscreen"*

Seriously, is THIS the reason you dislike the GP2X?

I don't get it, how is the picture a reference to me disliking the GP2x? it just showed how small a display of a GB game running under the GBA based emulator on the DS..

nothing to do with GP2x.

Wolfsclaw posted on Oct 24 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
Ive just ordered a flashcart for my DS (its cathcing dust because of the gp2x) because im a warez whore :p

GP2x for homebrew & emulation
+ DS for commercial games
----------------------------------------
Perfect.

You're going to love have a flashcart.. don't forget to get
MOONSHELL
DSORGANIZE
NESDS.

I'm a warez whore too. I already got:
- contact
- magical starsign
- swordcraft story2