I think it's time to ask for some kind of official response... :|

It's certainly time to start thinking about the concept of what a P2 could / should be.

IMHO the main question to be answered when coming up with such a concept is : Why buy a P2 when I could just use a smartphone / chinese handheld & iCP2?

I'd love to see a lot of community involvement with the creation of P2, things like seeing how far people valued modularity over portability etc. This would of course require careful management of expectations but it may produce some innovative additions to the finished design. As well as being highly engaging for the community as a whole.

All I can say to my fellow P2 spammers is keep the ideas coming, and feel free to incorporate any ideas you like from my ramblings.

Even if you have an idea that is not a 'complete concept' then please post about that. Even minor additions* could help P2 stand out from the crowd.

* like having a kickstand in the base, a built in tripod connector, a modular battery, grids of LEDs in the gaming buttons, a design compatible with 3D printing etc.

I think we should do a topic where everyone suggests features, then, 1 week later, we do a poll for such features. The top features that are implementable economically would be chosen (unless, of course, we did the whole model system where there's the entry-level OP etc.) Then perhaps we would create some kind of specifications and a reasonably PCB layout, then submit it to ED? I think this would essentially mean trying to sell ED a Pandora that doesn't exist yet. We could show poll results, why it's better than the original, estimated parts costs in groups of 100 or so, and estimated production costs for a run of 500 of them right now. I think a modular CPU should be in order. 

To be fair it might be a good idea to notify all those that pre-ordered, ordered, and cancelled their pandora orders that this activity is going on.  That way the results are more inclusive and doesn't merely have a forum slant/bias/viewpoint.  For instance people often remark how the community decided how to handle the pre-order business.  Well as a pre-orderer I, and others like myself didn't get the memo so our voices weren't heard, nor votes cast.  Instead people that already had their pandoras dominated the conversation.

Let every voice be heard or none imo.

Noooooooo !!!!!!! The Pandora is just now hitting its stride and unless the p2 uses the pnd system it will alienate people who just got their pandora .

IMO The P2 has to use the PND system, because of all the awesome that is the repo and PND manager, and because of the incredible ease with which you can install and uninstall stuff.
Ideally the P2 should work with existing pnds

IMO The P2 has to use the PND system, because of all the awesome that is the repo and PND manager, and because of the incredible ease with which you can install and uninstall stuff. Ideally the P2 should work with existing pnds
To clarify a bit, many of the existing .pnd's will break even with the adoption of .next, which I bet will be out before a Pandora 2. But I agree with the general sentiment that the majority of software should be compatible across both systems.

We already have been doing polls, posting opinions, and forums by their very nature are biased against people who don't like spending all day reading others' opinions but wouldn't mind giving their own in a simple poll. There's nothing stopping the active forum-goers from posting a poll, but I would expect that OPT would NOT take it seriously without getting the patient preorders and everyone else in the Pandora fanbase involved. And yeah, being a preorder hearing that wouldn't be very fun to say the least, so better that the official team stays out of it officially until we get the backlog cleared.

Also, Craig said that the iCP2 and Pandora 2 are intrinsically linked, so I think we shouldn't bother asking for his official involvement in the latter before the former has even hit mass production. I wonder if he has even read any of these forums over the past two months.

And then there's the rift between the two companies; is a Pandora 2 from the current team even possible with the discord that's transpired?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there compatibility/requirement info in the PND/repo spec?

Should all existing PNDs be tagged "works with firmware 1.x.x on the P1"?

Screw backwards compatibility... We shouldn't even aim for it as a joke

They will need to make PND2 and repo.openpandora2.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back