I Think I Found Something Out...

kuriboh posted on Dec 20 2004 at 10:43 PM said:
Mosch posted on Dec 15 2004 at 10:34 AM said:
Hey, while tearing the hardware out, remember to connect a switch to enable/disable the lockout-chip! No work really and very nice to have ;)
? sorry I don't know much about what the chips are. :( can u explain?

The Lockout chip is the chip that handles all the region codes - the lockout chip makes it impossible to PAL games on NTSC consoles and the other way round. Simply disconnect CIC pin 4. What's your PCB revision by the way?

And, do you have a PAL or an NTSC SNES?

Oh, a final warning: Some newer games (Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mario RPG, probably soem others) will not run if they do not detect a lockout chip at all. So a switch might be a nice idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a different story to them.

Sony and Nintendo were working together to make a add on to the SNES, Sony Realised the potencial of a CD games consoles as a stand alone system, dump nintendo, nicked many of thier best developers and relese the playstation.

Come to think of it the word station does bring up images of docking things...

Thus ever since Sony and nintendo are realy the only members of the console war because they have reasons...Xbox is just so bill can monopolizes.

HEY!!!!!!
please, take pictures of the motherboards from the SNES, and anything you take apart
also, could you take measurements of the boards for me?
for retroportables I am trying to make a portable N64 and SNES , and I almost have all my tools now after xmas
please, cause thats one of the few things I dont have, a SNES or N64

thx again

~Octavious

DaveC posted on Dec 23 2004 at 03:37 PM said:
The SNES CD add on was actually called the "Playstation"

To make a long story short Nintendo didn't like Sony having any rights with the CD based software, which they would if Sony made the drive, so Ninty gave Sony the big middle finger.

So Sony in turn gave Nintendo and even bigger middle finger and developed their own hardware. They also kept the name "Playstation" to further say "fuck you" to Nintendo and their arrogant ways. Ever since Sony has been gunning for the "big N". While Sony was sucessful in crushing Nintendo ever since in the console race, there remained one last bastion of strength for Nintendo, the unchallenged multi billion dollar handheld market. Enter PSP.... To be continued.

This is the correct story. To elaborate a bit more (or to make a short story long :D )

While the 'Playstation Project' was in development, Nintendo wanted to encase the CDs in special cases (kinda like the ones that were need for the Amiga A570 CD drive, early PC CD drives and early CD burners), these special cases would also have a speical chip in them which told the unit that it was a proper Nintendo Playstation CD. This way Nintendo would be able to keep complete control by having a proprietry CD system (as they have done with Gamecube). But Sony didn't like this idea, they wanted 3rd parties to be able to develop for the system completely independant of Nintendo. Nintendo got wind of this and dropped Sony. They imnmediately then signed up with Philips to make the CD add-on, which they then dropped later after they saw how badly the Sega Mega CD performed on the market. This is alos why the CDi has a couple of (really bad) Zelda games available for it.

Sony's exec board was just going to abandon the whole Playstation Project but there were others in the compnay that convinced them that it would be a winner and to keep developing it as a stand alone system.

The rest is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
wicked, didn't know of all of this drama from back then.
by the way, the gamecube's media isn't propietery like most people think, they're plain mini dvds.
and how bad did the mega cd fall? i didn't notice it back then, but playing it now it's not a bad system at all.

Well they are kind of as they are read in reverse to regular so makes it nigh in possible to make pirated versions. Not to say you can't get a rom but it such a proverbial pain in the arse to run it that hardly anybody can be bothered. So piracy i is barely existant on it.

actually with a newly released gc modchip, you can boot off mini dvd-rs or plain dvd-rs(if you leave the top off) :huh:
it's still seems like a hassle to me...this whole gc mod scene

Back