I Hope The Gp2x Wiz Will Not Kill The Pandora. What Do You Think ?

renejr902

Website
Visit site
i hope the gp2x wiz will not kill the pandora. SINCERELY, what do you think ?

anyway im not getting a gp2x wiz because the screen is too small for me. and i want to surf.

But i think a lot of people will buy the gp2x wiz instead of pandora.

Craigix must not be happy about this... i suppose.

I just learn today that wiz thing is exist !

it has a oled screen that i dream of... but at 2.8' i cant buy that. i Cant play my gba and my ds anymore because of the gp2x and psp screen size.

I dream to have a emulation handheld that did great in direct sunlight ... its seem that gp2x wiz will do it ? isnt?

and for the bad of that... the new psp edition will have no ghostling anymore and greatly improved contrast. so i will play my snes emualtion on this new psp until i got a pandora.. its a lot of competition for a emulation handheld device

anyway what do you think about gp2x wiz killing the pandora ? is it a possibility ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather doubt it. But I can easily see pandora selling it's run and the wiz doing well. I don't think eithers success is dependant on the failure of the other.

Craig has already mentioned that he will be actively distributing the wiz hardware, so he can't be that 'unhappy' about it :). GBAX.com seems to be the main distributer.

And as already discussed, these two consoles cannot be fairley compared. They are seperate machines.

Personally I don't think the wiz and the Pandora are going to butt heads. They are in difference price brackets and have different features and different software. I would get both but I don't have enough money to spend on stuff like that to get both, so I picked the pandora.

zxxgp said:
Personally I don't think the wiz and the Pandora are going to butt heads. They are in difference price brackets and have different features and different software. I would get both but I don't have enough money to spend on stuff like that to get both, so I picked the pandora.
What? Of course they'll butt heads. That's like saying to me that the DS and PSP aren't competing because they're in different price brackets and have different features and software. It makes no sense. As for one "killing" the other, I dunno. Time will tell, but if anything, two competing open-source devices will garner increased attention from the outside no matter what.

Now that you bring up the PSP, i think the PSP will be more of a threat to the Wiz than the Pandora. Think about it, apart from their size and OS, they both are quite similar as in, they will be able to run emulatord for the same systems and have no purpose except gaming/multimedia.

To be honest, i love surfing with a handheld and have a OS, But if the gp2x wiz have a 3.5' screen instead of 2.8, i will buy the gp2x wiz instead of the pandora.

1. because first you can play outdoor.
2. screen is oled so brighter and less motion blur.
3. because i love the gp2x and the gp32

But ANYWAY, with a 2.8' screen size i will not buy it, i prefer the biggest screen of the pandora.
but i dont know if i can buy the first batch of pandora its expensive for me now, but the gp2x wiz will be more possible.

i fear that, at this price the gp2x wiz will be selling a lot and it will be release before the pandora, so i fear pandora is in trouble. i hope im wrong.

renejr902 said:
i hope the gp2x wiz will not kill the pandora. SINCERELY, what do you think ?
pandora will just suicide

From where I stand, that is, from what I've seen several people on different web communities say, the Pandora looks like it has much wider appeal than the Wiz. On the other hand, the market originally interested in the GP2X will probably go for a Wiz too (and many won't want to pay for a Pandora). But there are tons of people who will want Pandora for what it can do, and nothing else can do everything it can in the same kind of package.

Exophase said:
But there are tons of people
meat... meat ... bloody meat...

Measure people by tons is yummi :)

vapourstreak said:
"But there are tons of people who will want Pandora for what it can do, and nothing else can do everything it can in the same kind of package."

huh?
He's saying no other handheld device contains all of Pandora's features in a small gaming oriented package. And it's true. That's what makes it so sexy. And why the first 4000 sold out in less than a week.

Wiz is very cool, especially for its size. But hardware-wise, nothing equals the Pandora.

And honestly, one of the reasons I'm picking the Pandora over the Wiz (as I'm not rich enough to get both :S ) is that GPH did such a piss-poor job with the GP2X the first few renditions of the hardware, and they hardly listened to the community through the entire process. Even my F-200 lacks in hardware and firmware quality. Another handheld from them seems far beyond my capacity to understand why anyone who went through all that would still pay for another iteration.

The Pandora (although I haven't held one in my hand yet) is developed with us in mind. Every step of the way we've been informed about setbacks, new developments, and are consistently asked what direction we'd like to see the console take. That's an invaluable resource, and whatever 'risk' is involved with investing in a dev team with no hardware distribution resume, is worth it.

Rayek said:
And honestly, one of the reasons I'm picking the Pandora over the Wiz (as I'm not rich enough to get both :S ) is that GPH did such a piss-poor job with the GP2X the first few renditions of the hardware, and they hardly listened to the community through the entire process

just remember - the western community is just a very very small part of GPH's market. The western community IS pandoras market.

True...

But remember when there was talk around here that GPH picked a Linux-based OS simply because it was cheaper than the alternative? They didn't understand anything about sorcecode, and eventually got the slashdotters of the internet furious? Furious enough to threaten to take them to court for non-compliance with the GPL? This was serious business...

It makes them seem like they have no idea what's going on around them.

The Pandora and the Wiz are actually targeting different markets! The Pandora is going up against UMPCs while the Wiz is going up against PSP and NDS market. Anyone who thinks the Wiz is going up against the Pandora is crazy. It just so happens they are being released around the same time and has interest with the same community (us).

Please stop comparing them and accept we now have two new open source consoles with different goals available to us.

Back