I Have Just Sold A Gp2x On The Tube...

Loccy

Still Fresh
First tube journey with the GP2X today, and already got a convert.

Got on at Morden, and a bloke got on a few stops down and sat in one of the few seats remaining, which was next to me. About the same age as me, early 30s, obviously a product of the Pac-Man generation.

Between there and Kennington, I'd had a bash at PC Engine R-Type, Neo Geo Pulstar, Atari VCS Berzerk, arcade Moon Cresta, and arcade Pac-Man - at which point I feel a prod on the shoulder.

"Sorry to disturb you mate, but I've got to ask - what IS that handheld you've got there?"

Cue explanations etc from myself.

"That's brilliant," says bloke, "it's basically my misspent youth in a box!"

I think gp2x.co.uk can expect a sale today! If so, do I get a commission? :D

Meanwhile, I'm going to steal that bloke's comment for a sigfile.

Loccy posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
"it's basically my misspent youth in a box!"

Actually, that'd make an awesome slogan for the GP2X.

Slightly editied:

GP2X. It's basically your misspent youth in a box.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing happened to me at work yesterday i was on lunch watching a series called Heroes and my friend sits next to me and says "what is that is it a psp?" then i say sort of but even better:) then asks me what it can do when I said it ran sega genesis and super nintendo he went all glowy eyed, then when i said how much it cost he went nuts and asked me where he could buy one.

if you build it they will come:)

As it happens, just last week I was talking to bloke at work whom i've only seen in passing, when he seen I had a PC mag, he reminised over flight sims on the Amiga.. Guess what I pulled outa my pocket, yep, my Gp2x with the Amiga Emu, I loaded Falcon up and he was overawed with nostalga.. He then asked what is that machine i was using? I told him and I think we may have another customer.

The power of nostalga.

E

Loccy posted on Oct 30 2006 at 10:02 AM said:
First tube journey with the GP2X today, and already got a convert.

Got on at Morden, and a bloke got on a few stops down and sat in one of the few seats remaining, which was next to me. About the same age as me, early 30s, obviously a product of the Pac-Man generation.

Between there and Kennington, I'd had a bash at PC Engine R-Type, Neo Geo Pulstar, Atari VCS Berzerk, arcade Moon Cresta, and arcade Pac-Man - at which point I feel a prod on the shoulder.

"Sorry to disturb you mate, but I've got to ask - what IS that handheld you've got there?"

Cue explanations etc from myself.

"That's brilliant," says bloke, "it's basically my misspent youth in a box!"

I think gp2x.co.uk can expect a sale today! If so, do I get a commission? :D

Meanwhile, I'm going to steal that bloke's comment for a sigfile.

Talking on the tube? Thats outrageous :p

PS Bet he'd have liked the Speccie / C64 / BBC emulators....

subcon959 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 04:05 PM said:
It's actually surprisingly easy to convince anyone around 30ish to get one. The nostalgia factor is immense.

Well, there's that, and the fact that we have something called discretionary income...

(naw)mcx posted on Oct 30 2006 at 04:52 PM said:
I got a 11 year old to get one :p
Loubear is not your friend, and you didn't persuade him anyways

White Demon posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:13 AM said:
Loccy posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
"it's basically my misspent youth in a box!"

Actually, that'd make an awesome slogan for the GP2X.

Slightly editied:

GP2X. It's basically your misspent youth in a box.
Nice, I'm going to use that one. B)

I barerly pull out my gp2x in public and play, just play mp3's. Im paranoid that someones is gonna run past me and grab it off my hands. I even had nightmares about it.

I dreamed that I left my gp2x in the student lounge then someone stole it, 2 days later I see a guy on the train with a gp2x. I hoverover him and see its my GP2X with my headphones & the custom wallpaper I made on it. I follow the guy, nab em and start beating the bloody pulp out of him telling him "oh you wanna steal sh**t huh!" then I woke up..Phew* glad it was all a dream, I heart my gp2x

If, for some reason, I had a GP2X (if I got it for free), I would never show it in public. Strangers would reticule me after seeing that my headphones are plugged into the top of the unit, which is a nonsensical location.

JaqMs posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:23 PM said:
If, for some reason, I had a GP2X (if I got it for free), I would never show it in public. Strangers would redicule me after seeing that my headphones are plugged into the top of the unit, which is a nonsensical location.

Yes. Yes they would.

Back