I Have Been Away A Long Time

WrongEyedJesus

Yes I know I should search.

Yes I know I should be online more often.

I am working on the basis that I have been a longtime and regular contributor until the last few months. Work changes have dictated that I haven´t been able to keep in touch. In addition it doesn´t help that my 2X is in another country from me (though apparently back from the dead and up and running, thank heavens!), though it has meant that I am back on my GP32 and appreciating it all over again (ROTT I ask you, how cool is that??

What I would ask is that anybody who knows I was until fairly recently a regular contributor or doesn´t want to flame me could give me a quick low down on whats going on. I have been checking the front page a couple of times a week so know the basics, but would love to get a quick overview.

I am really missing contributing on a daily basis and missing the community as a whole. Is it the same bunch of guys? Are there any new faces worth talking too?

I am well prepared to be flamed for not checking regularly etc, but hopefully a few guys remember me.

Most of the stuff I can see seems fairly dev based though I like a look of some of the homebrew stuff. Still waiting for something big though. Anything in the offing?

Please all opinions welcome......

WEJ.

Well I think you've probably missed:

- Notaz now has SquidgeSNES working excellently
- Amiga emulation (Am I right in thinking there are two projects now?)
- A BBC emulator (WIP hopefully) from Critical that is looking very promising
- An update to the Lynx emulator
- More MAME updates
- A playable Payback demo

...and probably more that I've forgotten. But it has been busy over the last couple of weeks!

Reesy has quit the scene: however, there is a better emulator in town called Picodrive that uses BOTH cores and has better compatibility and can run fullspeed with 44100 sound at 200 MHz.

MAME is being updated like a monster.

New cased BOB coming out hopefully December.

I still find it strange that how a highly optimized genesis emulator years in the work first on the gp32 and now on the gp2x, suddenly got beat by a newcomer, just like that. :p (I understand one can still do things the other can't, but still)

Gmenu2x ... the awesome replacement menu for the '2X, with tons of customizable features. Tons! :D

Welcome back :)

payback is finally out!!
i might start using my gp2x again, i stopped using it once the joystiq turned to crap after so much use... one thing i also saw advancing was the gba emulator.

I still find it strange that how a highly optimized genesis emulator years in the work first on the gp32 and now on the gp2x, suddenly got beat by a newcomer, just like that. :p (I understand one can still do things the other can't, but still)
I think picodrive was around on the GP32 in beta, or maybe I am confusing it too much with gigadrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think picodrive was around on the GP32 in beta, or maybe I am confusing it too much with gigadrive.

Not all that new. This has previuosly been optimised for UIQ 2.0 devices.

I used to play Megadrive alright on my A920, which I think was ARM9 180mhz with 32MB ram.

New firmware 2.1, and as of 2 days ago (i think), 2.1.1 is out. I have yet to upgrade from 2.0 however.

New firmware 2.1, and as of 2 days ago (i think), 2.1.1 is out. I have yet to upgrade from 2.0 however.

What´s the details on this?

Shame to see Reesy go, but thanks must be given for many things over the years. Interested in the new Genesis emu though.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I´ll try to keep in touch a bit more often.

@TelcoLou. Thanks mate, nice to be back.

@pantera: nope, it ends the 13th at 3:30AM <_<

@Wrong-eyed: I updated and the only thing that I noticed right off the bat was the stock gp2x menu is smoother when you click on options. It kinda merges into the new screen, rather than a 1 second delay and a quick flash to the new details. I dont really know how to explain :confused:.

Apparently, the headphone-speaker sound issue is fixed, and some stuff with the mp3 player. The full thread is in general talk. I'd link you, but this proxy takes like 2 minutes to load a page <_<

Overall I think it's a decent update, and it surely doesnt hurt to upgrade from 2.0 methinks.

Back