Well It's Been Some Time!

WrongEyedJesus

Hello there,

If you take a look at how long I've been registered you'll be able to see I am nearly ready to draw my pension. As a result please forgive my possibly luddite request. Can anybody recommend me a decent PSX emu for my PC? Am running a Vista machine about a year old. I would appreciate any honest answers and any flipant ones had better be funny.

Many thanks in advance.

WEJ.

WrongEyedJesus said:
Hello there,

If you take a look at how long I've been registered you'll be able to see I am nearly ready to draw my pension. As a result please forgive my possibly luddite request. Can anybody recommend me a decent PSX emu for my PC? Am running a Vista machine about a year old. I would appreciate any honest answers and any flipant ones had better be funny.

Many thanks in advance.

WEJ.
first ditch vista; if you must have windows go with 7 for no other reason than it'll free up a good chunk of system resources that vista hogs. second: download epsxe. I use it under linux & it works very well. You'll need bios which I can't link to, but it shouldn't be too hard to find on google *cough*schp1001.bin*cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
I run Vista, Though it is an extremely trimmed down/tweaked install of Vista, Boots justs as fast as Win7, And my graphic card drivers work great in Vista too (Nvidia 7900GS (Dell laptop)), Which is more than can be said for Win7 (Tried most of them, Including tweaked ones).

Anyway, Back on topic, You have got to try pSX_1_13, Personally i think it is MUCH better than Epsxe (too many confusing options, Plug-ins coming out of it`s ears), It broke a lot of games after an update to 1.70 and cause a lot more crashing (In WinXP and Win7 too). pSX on the other hand is a fairly straight forward emulator without all the unnecessary fluff, And has played everything i have thrown at it.

In my opinion, pSX is the unsung hero of PSX emulation on windows, But most people go for epsxe because it`s popular.

Trooper

trooper said:
In my opinion, pSX is the unsung hero of PSX emulation on windows, But most people go for epsxe because it`s popular.
I don't know about "unsung hero". as far as i know pSX is the second most popular PSX emu. Just after ePSXe.

pSX just works, sure enough. ePSXe works better, has a bit more grunt, and as opposed to your opinion i find that since v1.70 it plays everything i've tossed at it. When it crash/freeze i find it has more to do with a damaged cd / image then anything else.
Either one should do the trick.
B!

Yes, ePSXe runs every game I've played right running Win7. The thing is, you really got to have your plugins right for ePSXe. You can find them using google ofcourse. I really recommend you get yourself the biggest package with the most plugins available.

I'm a fan of both pSX and ePSXe. pSX is great for just loading a game and playing it more or less how it originally looked, and became my emulator of choice after it first came out.
A few months ago though I decided to play FF7 again, and thought it would be nice to try it in a higher resolution/tweaked graphics. After much fiddling around with plugins and different settings in ePSXe I got the game looking pretty sexy, without butchering it with lots of fancy new patterns/skins/whatever they are.

So yeah.. if you want to just play, use pSX. If you fancy having a go at sharpening the image then try ePSXe.

I still like Bleem! :p

I know it won't work above Windows 98 and compatibility is pretty bad compared to what's out there now, but for what it does, it's pretty awesome.

trooper said:
I run Vista, Though it is an extremely trimmed down/tweaked install of Vista, Boots justs as fast as Win7, And my graphic card drivers work great in Vista too (Nvidia 7900GS (Dell laptop)), Which is more than can be said for Win7 (Tried most of them, Including tweaked ones).

I'm a PC and that was my idea.

gizmodo_windows7ad.flv.jpg

Because Microsoft listens to assorted women who use their laptops in cafes.

My idea was to copy the GOOD features from KDE, like windows snapping to borders and to other windows, and multiple desktops.

Windows 7 was not my idea. Microsoft made this fuckup all on their own.

lulzfish said:
My idea was to copy the GOOD features from KDE, like windows snapping to borders and to other windows, and multiple desktops.

Windows 7 was not my idea. Microsoft made this fuckup all on their own.
Because KDE 'invented' both of those.

By the way, have you actually... used Windows 7? It's a great system. If only you were able to stop sucking Stallmans asshole for a minute and try it out.

Chest Rockwell said:

By the way, have you actually... used Windows 7? It's a great system. If only you were able to stop sucking Stallmans asshole for a minute and try it out.
KDE should read linux... because yes, these are long-time linux features & microsoft stealing ideas from the open-source world is nothing new.

If he knows it's got those features, chances are he's tried it out. Regardless of if he's tried it or not, it is most certainly NOT a great OS. It's garbage. I'm on it right now (not on my comp, thank god) and it's garbage.

Dude you're on an open-source handhelds board, what did you expect?

Chest Rockwell said:
By the way, have you actually... used Windows 7?
Yes, I use it to play video games. And I have used Aero Snap on there, and it's useless. It's not a tiling window manager, and it's not actual snapping. It's an awkward middle ground.

Edit: Just to be specific, so I'm not misunderstood, yes, there is a snapping mechanism involved, but I'm thinking of the "snap to other windows" that every X11 manager has, and Windows still does not have. (To my knowledge)

Of course KDE didn't invent those features, but for some reason I heard a while back that Windows 7 looked like KDE 4, and I got confused and was thinking "They should have copied the good stuff that X11 has standard, and is also on KDE".
You know what I mean.

Consequence_9 said:
Chest Rockwell said:

KDE should read linux... because yes, these are long-time linux features & microsoft stealing ideas from the open-source world is nothing new.

If he knows it's got those features, chances are he's tried it out. Regardless of if he's tried it or not, it is most certainly NOT a great OS. It's garbage. I'm on it right now (not on my comp, thank god) and it's garbage.

Dude you're on an open-source handhelds board, what did you expect?
The trolls. Stop feeding them please.

lulzfish said:
And I have used Aero Snap on there, and it's useless. It's not a tiling window manager, and it's not actual snapping. It's an awkward middle ground.

Edit: Just to be specific, so I'm not misunderstood, yes, there is a snapping mechanism involved, but I'm thinking of the "snap to other windows" that every X11 manager has, and Windows still does not have. (To my knowledge)

Since Windows 7, I've never used the Maximise/minimise button or the window-resizer thingys. On my widescreen monitor, Aero Snap is actually very useful.

quote said:
lulzfish said:
And I have used Aero Snap on there, and it's useless. It's not a tiling window manager, and it's not actual snapping. It's an awkward middle ground.

Since Windows 7, I've never used the Maximise/minimise button or the window-resizer thingys. On my widescreen monitor, Aero Snap is actually very useful.
Yeah, I've always double-clicked on the title bar for maximize. I don't understand why we needed another method of doing this. Now I have 4 ways to maximize a window.

Aero snap is awesome for tiling a pair of windows vertically. Ok, maybe that's the only thing it's awesome for but I found it invaluable. Way less awkward than doing it in XP. Having said that, I started getting the shutdown warning messages on my Win7 beta last week so I've gone back to Ubuntu (Studio).

Gruso said:
Aero snap is awesome for tiling a pair of windows vertically. Ok, maybe that's the only thing it's awesome for but I found it invaluable. Way less awkward than doing it in XP. Having said that, I started getting the shutdown warning messages on my Win7 beta last week so I've gone back to Ubuntu (Studio).
Idea: don't use a fucking beta?

have fun with your linux for downsies though, I guess.

Stop ripping people for no reason, you come across as a bit of a twat.

But then, that's probably what you want.

Continue.

Back