How's Amiga Emu Looking?

i was never much of an Amigan .. Amstrad CPC464/Oric-1 still kept my interest long enough to discover Unix .. but I sure would like to be introduced to some of the more interesting Amiga apps that can be run in the GP2X port of UAE .. anyone got the time to PM me some recommended 'must-play-with' apps from the Amiga archives?

The Amiga Emu looks promising but is a little slow and misses savestates and customization options yet.

For the moment i prefer the Atari ST Emu (OutcaST) over the Amiga one. Most ST software/games run very well and fluid already on the gp2x without overclocking(!). Also games load faster and the emu supports savestates.

FlowNeppets posted on Jul 4 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
The Amiga Emu looks promising but is a little slow and misses savestates and customization options yet.

For the moment i prefer the Atari ST Emu (OutcaST) over the Amiga one. Most ST software/games run very well and fluid already on the gp2x without overclocking(!). Also games load faster and the emu supports savestates.
If you want games to load faster, are you aware that there's a 'turbo' mode you can use to speed such activity up? In normal joystick mode, if you hold down R, then L it'll speed up (by frameskipping and ignoring sound emulation).

Last edited by a moderator:
You're doing a great job with UAE4All so far critical, I certainly appreciate your work, this was one of the main reasons that pushed me into buying the GP2X ( this, the PSX4All [ psx4gp2x ], and the fact that it uses linux and that homebrew is totally open on the system )... Ok, quite a few reasons, but your port is amongst the main 4 B) , keep up the great work.

It sounds like Critical is doing a great job. I also have a PSP which has firmware version 1.52 (which apparently I can upgrade to 2.0 and then use a buffer overrun hack to downgrade it to the magic 1.5). From what I can read above it looks like the GP2X has some issues with sound but also, currently, an inability to save. How does this compare to the PSP Amiga emulator?

(desperately trying to convince myself to buy a 2X :) )

I only got Amiga relatively recently... Bloody thing came with craploads of cracked sportsgames! Who wants those? And it didn't have tv-out adapter... Thus, and because of placement woes, it's tucked away in a box somewhere...

Say, could I somehow play games stored on CD with a CD32? Somehow burn a game to CD, something like a diskversion of Superfrog, and actually run it on CD32?

Jarska333 posted on Jul 4 2006 at 06:53 PM said:
Say, could I somehow play games stored on CD with a CD32? Somehow burn a game to CD, something like a diskversion of Superfrog, and actually run it on CD32?
It has been done before (CD32 888, for example). Fiddly, but possible.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:53 AM said:
And it didn't have tv-out adapter...

There is a version of one, yes, it's called the A520 and puts out a composite signal to a TV or VCR in color.
Might have to hunt around for them, they'd be harder to find now.

I don't have the Amiga e-peens that some of you do, but I am an original and proud owner (and past owner) of the Amiga as follows:

A500 Kickstart/WB 1.3 512k expansion to 1mb, sold to pay debts. :(

A500 Kickstart 1.3/WB expanded to 2mb, 2400baud modem, third-party 20mb HD that was attached to a separate box outside the bit that plugs into the expansion port and chattered so loudly it could be heard 2 flights of stairs up. :) But i loved it, and even learned enough about using the CLI that I was able to whip up a custom workbench with a copper-list display giving pretty colours and fast access to the tools I used.

Sold to finance my first PC, a 386-40 with 100mb hd and 4mb RAM.

I missed the hell out of the 'miggy, but playing Star Control II, Wolfenstien 3D and Wing Commander (and eventually DOOM) made up for it.

Currently own....A500, 1.3, 1mb RAM, A590 HD which still has pride of place here in my lair. Ironically I bought it from a buddy of the guy I sold my second Amiga to....for a fraction of what I sold it for. :)

Never did get my hands on a newer AGA chipset model, i'd like to.

Oh yeah, UAE4ALL is coming along very well so far, can't wait for saves to be implemented so I can play Alternate Reality: The City in 16-bit glory all over again. :D

trainchaser posted on Jul 4 2006 at 08:13 PM said:
Guys, is there a way to play UFO: Enemy Unknown with bareable speed? Somehow :/ ?

Not yet, I have been looking forward to that with my breath held, too :)

JimmySlam posted on Sep 23 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
hELLO THERE!

Any news??
Hello. I did some work towards save states on Friday, if you're interested. They don't work at the moment, but may do at some unspecified point in the future.

critical posted on Sep 24 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
JimmySlam posted on Sep 23 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
hELLO THERE!

Any news??
Hello. I did some work towards save states on Friday, if you're interested. They don't work at the moment, but may do at some unspecified point in the future.

OH good! Thanks, did you get any improvements on the speed at the moment?

We were talking about if u used the fame core maybe if we use other core will go quicker. what do do think?:)

Wohooo, the emulator for my favourite computer isn't dead :)

Thank you soooo much :)

I remember you asked for some assembler gurus for the core emulation, right?
I guess you haven't found one...? :/

Running the Amiga was the main reason I bought the GP2X.

That computer was so far ahead of its time it wasn't even funny. I remember in the glory days around '86 and '87 when that machine was freakin' magic, compared to everything else that was out there. Talk about creative possibilities! I was doing digital animation, music composition, sound effects creation and digitization, programming, 3D modelling and rendering, not to mention the incredible games - That computer is the reason I work in the movie biz today. Best damn machine there was, for the time.

Critical, I would love to hear of any upgrades! Godspeed!

A full speed portable Amiga? Is it possible?

Mac

Back