Amiga, C64, Megadrive Emulation Any Good?

GonzoUK

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm looking for a device for gamiing emulation. I have seen a friends PSP running games for C64, Megadrive and Amiga but I'm wondering how good is the emulation for these platforms on the GP2X? I can get a PSP for about £50 or $100 which is cheap.

I have noticed the Amiga emulation on the PSP as being not perfect especially the sound, but the other platforms are perfect.

Not trying to be awkward but if you look around the forums you will find that this question has been asked quite a bit recently

Mmm I think we have to be patient with new people. I find this the most friendly community on the planet so I will donate some of my time to answer this question.

I have a gp2x and a psp.

1. Making the psp run emulators is really not straightforward if you firmware has not been modded yet. The psp was not designed for the task. The GP2x is !

2. I tried emulation on the PSP but always came back to my gp2x for it. The support is much better. This forum is very friendly and always willing to give you advice. You could in the future use the search function first... but nevermind...

3. Megadrive on psp is excellent...

4. C64 is (almost) perfect. We have FRODO it does not accept all games but when it does the emulation is excellent. we also have VICE, it is near perfect, more compatible but sometimes takes a little break. Using overclocking and using fastsid as sound emulation helps... The bottom line, I only use my real C64 for games that use the keyboard a lot, otherwise, I take my gp2x

5. Amiga emulation an the gp2x is in my opinion better on the gp2x than on the PSP but I have not checked the latest 6 months for PSP-emu updates. Amiga on the PSP is very good, See 4, I use my real amiga only for keyboard intensive games or for large games that were supposed to run of a harddrive...

6. The PSP you state is cheap, considering it plays a lot of excellent games of his own... You could check EBAY to find a gp2x, a lot of people here are impatiently waiting for the PANDORA so maybe you could find one cheap.

The GP2X can not only emulate the Megadrive/Genesis but also the Mega-CD add on and the 3D chip used in Virtua Racing.

On top of those extra games you also have the perfect resolution screen for it, so it looks crystal clear.

3. Megadrive on psp is excellent...

Yes, but I think PicoDrive on the GP2x is superior to the PSP version due to massive ARM optimization.

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
I think TomVS says it all. I'm a big C64 & Amiga fan, particulally the C64 and the GP2X is ace when it comes to emulating these machines. :gp2x

Looking forward to seeing what the Pandora can do though :pandora1:

:D

Back