How rigid is the roguelike genre?

LWFlouisa

Still Fresh
It seems like in game design, cross-genre is more the norm than it is in fiction.

I dabbled in some roguelike development during the 7DRL section, though the second time the map flowed a little weirdly, and I use numbers based terminal GUIs for certain functions instead of what one might more typical expect out of rogue-like games.

I like more roguelike functions, and less doing a true roguelike. Specifically precedural dungeons, and perma death.

But I like the graphical quality that comes with Turn based tactical RPGs like FF tactics. (Battle specific, and normal town navigation isn't turn based.) Though I find tiles a little strict, and prefer the Cluster based turn based tactical system in Arc The Lad: Twilight Of The Spirits.

Cluster based, for lack of a better term.

Not getting why this is off topic from finding a game design team.

You don't mention that you're looking for a game design team anywhere and is read like a story.... Besides that's still off-topic as the section is for active development only.

Not exactly a great point, but I'll concede. But as an aside, I am referring to active development.

Where? Your OP has a game design question as a title, and has a body about what sort of game design you do and don't like. You don't say anywhere you're explicitly planning to work on a game, unless it's in some other thread I've not read today. If you're planning to put together a team I'd have thought you'd want to say something about the roles you can provide, and what you're looking for from other people at least.

Back