How reliable is the Pandora?

Yug

Still Fresh
Hello, just wondering because I am a bit nervous about the fact I ordered something that quite expensive for something that is dated (spec wise), and I am already getting cold feet about holding on to the order it. Anyway, just want to know if it holds up since I just now been reading about bad numbs and screens on some units. Yes, I know I can take it back within a year if something goes wrong, but I don't want to wait around for airmail which would be weeks at a time too and from, and paying out of my pocket to send it back in case of a problem. This could be the wrong place to post this topic, maybe support would be the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
All new units have new screen cables, which are much more reliable that the old ones.

not sure about the nubs

New units have the better nubs. Due to the clamshell you actually have to watch out less for the pandora than for most other gadgets.

This sounds good. I never got replies this quick in my life. I feel a bit relieved now. I only need this for word processing, PDF reading, and playing only GB/GBC, SMS, MD/Genesis and few GBA games so its not like I am going do anything crazy anyway. There is no PC units out there that come with a keyboard combined with buttons which is the main attraction for me. I forgot to mention if the keyboard has any known issues since I will be using that a lot?

Note that pressing hard on the back of the lid will induce cracks

Also, the trigger-buttons are better constructed now

Note that pressing hard on the back of the lid will induce cracks

Also, the trigger-buttons are better constructed now

I see, I am very careful with things like this, but this means I would need something to carry it which I will look into later. Thanks for your kind replies everyone.

Depending on your useage patterns, you might want a case anyway, for a USB hub, mouse, headphones etc

Spare batteries shouldn't really be necessary now full power management works

"I only need this for word processing, PDF reading, and playing only GB/GBC, SMS, MD/Genesis and few GBA games"

I use abiword for note taking during lecture works great with the built in keyboard or a bluetooth one

As far as GBA goes gpSP works like a charm ever at full screen have yet to see one slow down

GB/GBC also works flawless for the games i've tried.

There are a few members around here making custom cases that are for sale, also check out the gp32x shop

Cheers

dont be afraid to push it a bit further than word processing and gba....the audio quality is superb, psx emulation is near perfect, quite a few n64 games play quite well, theres numerous amounts of webbrowsers for it, and you get your very own usb to do whatever you could possibly imagine. oh, and we also have a very nice set of homebrew games and apps which im sure youll learn to love, including all the ones recently added with the help of ReBirth compo

Depending on how much typing you are looking to do, the Pandora keyboard has a learning curve and not everyone enjoys it for large amounts of typing.

I primarily use my Pandora for gaming and some occassional net surfing, but I know there are others out there who are writing books with the Pandora and those who only use the Pandora as their on the go machine for everything.

Game wise you won't be disappointed, I just wanted to bring the whole word processing thing up to you.

EDIT: Also regarding dated processors, what's in the Pandora is the same as the iPhone 4 processor wise, and the Pandora's OS is streamlined compared to iOS. Pandora would have been a beast if it was delivered in 2008 as initially thought.

I forgot to mention if the keyboard has any known issues since I will be using that a lot?
Not that I know of - and I'm writing a novel on mine. :p (Your use-case sounds a lot like mine, actually.)

Alright. I already aware that the keyboard is a bit diffrent, but I figure I can get used to it. I am not using this as a replacement to a PC. This is an alternative I will use when I am not at home.

dont be afraid to push it a bit further than word processing and gba....the audio quality is superb, psx emulation is near perfect, quite a few n64 games play quite well, theres numerous amounts of webbrowsers for it, and you get your very own usb to do whatever you could possibly imagine. oh, and we also have a very nice set of homebrew games and apps which im sure youll learn to love, including all the ones recently added with the help of ReBirth compo

Its not that I am afraid, its just I don't need it for that much. PSX emulation and N64 emulation is not what I am intrested in on a handheld. That is for my setup at home were I have the TV-out on my video card going to the TV (Tube TV not LCD). All I need to do is load the emulatior, fullscreen, and there you go, its just like a real console now along with the controllers I have.

Using the Pandora everyday since february 2011, and having two units, i can say it's pretty stable and reliable.

Don't think the hardware is outdated, some units overclocks to 1.1+GHz. It's more something sounding like big companies are unable do do anything interesting with their proprietary handheld hardware.

Here you have a true Linux device, so all the possibilities you can dream of.

I see, I am very careful with things like this, but this means I would need something to carry it which I will look into later.
My favourite "case" is a leather book jacket - I think that's what they're called in English - with a zipper. Like bibles or hymn books often come in. Smooth, black leather. Minimal size increase over naked Pandora. That way you look like a god abiding citizen carrying around the holy word. Little do they know that what is held in the case is the harbinger of all evils mha ha ha~

Edit: pics

Had my last pandora for more than a year already (I had 3 in total) this one is completely fine and stable considering nubs, screen and volume button (the three issues I had with my first units) it seems the quality control has gotten more streamlined :)

I have found the Pandora to be relatively reliable. I use mine daily.

I'm not sure about everyone using over-packs and sleeves and all...

It's a clam shell device. I unplug it from the charger and put it in my pocket then walk out the door.

My only real wish is that it were a bit thinner.

About the keyboard: I am not sure if I would want to write a novel on it ... I am currently writing my PhD thesis, and I would not prefer to do it on the Pandora. It is still better than any alternative I can think of right now.

I used it for posting on this forum already, and on my vacation with goldendict it was even better than any translation book we had with us. I would not replace my desktop or laptop with it permanently, but if it's too much to carry your laptop with you, or booting it up would take too long (you'll have your Pandora on standby most of the day, believe me), it comes pretty close to a replacement. I did not try to read ebooks with it yet, but read comic books on it quite often. And it's perfect for that actually!

Since you must have been carefully thinking about "is this something I would use?" regarding the price, I am pretty sure that you will not be disapointed. The longer I waited, for my order, the more things I found that I might be able to do with it (including watching TV with a USB-TV stick). I am used to start dreaming about stuff I could do when I get something, and then be dissapointed because half of it does not work. The Pandora is one of the few things you get, and then you find out that it can not only do everything you dreamed it to do, but even more things, you haven't even thought about.

I travel a lot with Uncle Sam. I've lugged around gigantic laptops before and trust me, adding 10lbs to the rest of your junk is no fun. I got my hands on the OpenPandora as fast as I could.

Great for emulation obviously, which I love me some old school gaming. It even does newer stuff. Just depends on if someone codes it for the system.

It's not a typing machine, but it will work in a pinch. Ever filled out a Sworn Statement on an OpenPandora keyboard? I have, haha.

Plays music and movies flawlessly. I routinely fill my SD cards with both and watch/iisten on my off time. The OP makes a handy portable boombox too, I use it at work. Just turn it on, set it down, get to work.

Also browses the Internets.

Hot swap the SD cards so you can carry multiple SD cards for specific things.

It's worth it, if you can accept the fact that it's open source. That's not bad, but open source is a different animal from the Android or iOS. I don't know how to explain it, it's just "different."

Hope this helps. My poor OP lays dead in the closet waiting on a part. In no way was it a manufacturing issue, I broke it myself. Haha.

Back