Pandora How Much Performance Can Give The Pandora Gpu

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
I mean, once the system worked fine, and a few months later the rightclick menu took about 10 seconds to show up...
Heh... That's just how Windows works- it hoses itself up over time. Not a matter of "if" but of "when".

The fact that it's a Linux system will help things.
The fact that it's ARM will help things.

But in the end, the 128Mb may limit some of the things we can do in 3D...we're going to have to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
I beleive "rot" is the technical term for windows slowing down over time even without adding stuff to do at startup and defraging often.

Vista seems to rot faster :(
Heh... I've just thought Windows was Craptastic since the Chicago pre-Beta days... >:-D ;)

(Not to mention that I thought Fis...er...VISta was rotten out of the box....)

Svartalf said:
But in the end, the 128Mb may limit some of the things we can do in 3D...we're going to have to see.
If the 360 can work with 512MB of RAM split between the CPU and GPU, then I think the Pandora will be just fine with 128MB of RAM.
Sure I would love more RAM, who wouldn't, but really that is more then enough. Heck the PSP has 32MB of RAM (now 64MB in the 'lite' version) and it has discs to load from.

As far as the GPU goes am I correct in thinking this is somewhere in-between the power of a Dreamcast and Gamecube?

It's hard to say because the GPU architechture can't really compare to anything else in the market. I think it has better shader potential than the GC though... but raw speed is dependant on a number of factors, including the deferred-shading-tiled-rendering stuff in the SGX.

Tinnus said:
It's hard to say because the GPU architechture can't really compare to anything else in the market. I think it has better shader potential than the GC though... but raw speed is dependant on a number of factors, including the deferred-shading-tiled-rendering stuff in the SGX.
...pasting my answer from another thread... may give you some idea..

>>Does it actually say anywhere what screen resolution the Nvidia chip can manage Quake3 at 40 fps.... i'm guessing as this chip is aimed squarely at the smartphone market and there is no mention of anything otherwise this is probably 40 fps at QVGA (ie 320x240) resolution...

Anyway the SGX core inside the OMAP should run Quake 3 at 640x480 resolution at >40fps (and no this is not a guess, although i can't give away too many details).

dmdm said:
Anyway the SGX core inside the OMAP should run Quake 3 at 640x480 resolution at >40fps (and no this is not a guess, although i can't give away too many details).
Sounds very interesting. :) Are you an "insider"? ;)
And Could Q3 run also in 800x480 with correct aspect Ratio and not only stretched Image? I like "real" widescreen in 3D Games but not "wrong" Widescreen (a cheap stretching with wrong ingame aspect ratio)

quake3 does offer some real-renderized widescreen, so I'd guess so. i'd love 800x480, but i'd also love full speed.
so I'd really be willing to play it in a smaller (correct ratio) resolution if it's unplayable at first, it should be ok with the small screen (quake3 might never need this trick, but other ports might, and I can say it doesnt look bad)
but judging from what dmdm has said, it's shaping up real good ;)

As far as i know Quake will let you configure custom screen resolutions so can't see 800 x 480 being a problem and certainly the HW will be perfectly happy at that resolution...

...as for your guess, yep i am an insider, in fact i'm one of the designers of SGX however i have to be careful not to release any information which could land me in hot water with my employers! I can however report that the SGX core inside OMAP will happily do ~10MTri/sec, although this is based on a whole host of factors ie vertex sharing / complexity of vertices (number of layers etc).

One thing i am interested in is that to the best of my knowledge SGX is clocked quite low in the OMAP SoC(110MHz i think) in order to be extremely low power, but i hear reports that the ARM core overclocks quite well so can anyone with a dev board report how high SGX will clock?

MWeston and/or Squidge have stated that the chip can run at 900MHz without any problems, except of course more power drain.

Svartalf said:
icurafu said:
I beleive "rot" is the technical term for windows slowing down over time even without adding stuff to do at startup and defraging often.

Vista seems to rot faster :(
Heh... I've just thought Windows was Craptastic since the Chicago pre-Beta days... >:-D ;)

(Not to mention that I thought Fis...er...VISta was rotten out of the box....)

Lets keep the OS Wars to the thread it belongs in, here.

dmdm said:
As far as i know Quake will let you configure custom screen resolutions so can't see 800 x 480 being a problem and certainly the HW will be perfectly happy at that resolution...

...as for your guess, yep i am an insider, in fact i'm one of the designers of SGX however i have to be careful not to release any information which could land me in hot water with my employers! I can however report that the SGX core inside OMAP will happily do ~10MTri/sec, although this is based on a whole host of factors ie vertex sharing / complexity of vertices (number of layers etc).

One thing i am interested in is that to the best of my knowledge SGX is clocked quite low in the OMAP SoC(110MHz i think) in order to be extremely low power, but i hear reports that the ARM core overclocks quite well so can anyone with a dev board report how high SGX will clock?
TI guys were running it at 166MHz with no problems. Beyond that, I don't know. Drivers are still beta grade and not as easy to work with as I would like.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
quake3 does offer some real-renderized widescreen, so I'd guess so. i'd love 800x480, but i'd also love full speed.
so I'd really be willing to play it in a smaller (correct ratio) resolution if it's unplayable at first, it should be ok with the small screen (quake3 might never need this trick, but other ports might, and I can say it doesnt look bad)
but judging from what dmdm has said, it's shaping up real good ;)
Heh, Quake3 can run on the old OMAP2 chipset - it won't tax the OMAP3 at all, even at 800*480.

yeah, I heard from somewhere that the OMAP 2 had Quake 3 running with 640 x 480 resolution at over 30 fps.

Cool. Nice to see guys like you here in our Forums. :)
Everything onto the Pandora seems so mysterious and NDA and DNP, pretty much for a Open-Source Console. :D Well, if at least the (Homebrew) Coders have acess to the Hardware-Features at the end to use all the Power the Pandora can give us, I'm fine. :)

And Q3 is a perfect example to show the Power of the Console. I don't know if Q3 also runs onto the PSP but I'm sure, the Pandora will be the fastest Handheld on the Market. I hope Unreal Tournament will also find the Way onto the Pandora some day (I know it is not Full open-surce yet ). I think the PowerVR SGX could also handle the good old S3TC Textures from the UT Bonus Disc. ^_^

Heres a shader demo running on a OMAP3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TXpqa9jG0

They dont give any indication of which exact omap was used.... but i would assume it was something similar to the omap 3430. The near surroundings are probably a good indication of the fillrate and vertex performance. I assume the far surroundings are textured quads.

Adventus said:
Heres a shader demo running on a OMAP3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TXpqa9jG0

They dont give any indication of which exact omap was used.... but i would assume it was something similar to the omap 3430. The near surroundings are probably a good indication of the fillrate and vertex performance. I assume the far surroundings are textured quads.

And here is a video of Quake running on Omap 2, so SGX should be a step up from that although a lot of the improvements relate to shaders and more advanced features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmUqk4XDYQ...feature=related

To further emancipate old platforms, here's Quake2 on N95 and Quake3 on N-gage. Which are both bloody old phones.

sindbad said:
To further emancipate old platforms, here's Quake2 on N95 and Quake3 on N-gage. Which are both bloody old phones.

ermmm yes but anything running on N95 or Omap2 is MBX based so you can expect performance on OMAP3 to be a minimum of 2x.

Back