Pandora How Much Performance Can Give The Pandora Gpu

renejr902

Website
Visit site
someone can compare the gpu of the pandora with a pc video card in term of performance. is it similar to a voodoo1, savage 4, ati rage pro, surely not a geforce, i ask that because i have no idea of the performance of the gpu) i read the specs of the gpu but cant conclure anything

I would say, similar to a Chrome9, or a PowerVR SGX 535. :D

How can you measure performance against such old tech. Let's just say that you need a Riva TNT to play Quake3 on super low performance at 400x300. As this will handle Q3A easily, maybe you can say significantly better.

renejr902 said:
great !

so is it better in term of performance than the power vr that is in use in the dreamcast
absolutely!! way more advanced. For starters, the gpu in dreamcast didn't even have hw t&l. This GPU, not only is it clocked higher than the DC powervr, it's much more advanced in terms of architecture. Unified shaders are present in this GPU, that should be enough to answer all your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow im impressed !

at first i thought the video card was like a voodoo1 or ati rage pro at best.
im really wrong.

i thought dreamcast has t&L LOL

:)

thanks for answer

in that case the n64 emu by zod will be possible

( maybe someday we will see a very very slow ps2 emu, so i can say i have FFX on my handheld lol)

NO. There will NEVER be a PS2 emulator. Don't even try thinking.

Wasn´t it meant to reach the performance of the "Flipper" GPU from the gamecube??? ?_?

RHCA said:
Wasn´t it meant to reach the performance of the "Flipper" GPU from the gamecube??? ?_?
No. No one ever said that. I said that at 600MHz the CPU might be somewhat competitive with the Gamecube's at 485MHz, but I never said anything about the GPU, I wish that'd go away.

thanks tinnus for answer but i said that for laugh. but i thought a 1-3 frame by second ps2 emu was possible just for demonstration.
anyway nobody must lost their precious time to try that, we have a lot of emu to get working great now :)

Also, don't think that suddenly the Pandora will be able Dreamcast/Gamecube anywhere near playable (or even decent); it's not that powerful. Just to warn others that might be reading...

Emulation is not all about power! Read the faq! Just because a system is x times as powerful as another, it doesn't mean that it can be emulated at 1/x, or even 1/(10x) speed! PS2 emulation is impossible because no portable emulator exists, not because it not powerful enough. (If one DID exist, though, I would imagine speed would be a bit of an issue.)

i read on a forum that the min system requirement to run FFX decent, is a duo core 2 at 3.0ghz. even a duo 2.66 ghz dont give enough power to play ffx decently. i think the ps2 harware is very hard to emulate. the dreamcast emu is playable with a low pc system and a ok video card.

i still believe we can get at least 1 fps with a ps2 emu on the pandora :)

i got 15-25 fps on a athlon 1.8ghz ( 3000+) with a ati x1950pro with no frameskip so its really too slow to be playable.

PS2 emulation is impossible because no portable emulator exists, not because it not powerful enough.

I know Kingpin and Descent games has open source, wonder if the GPU be fast enough to run thoses game?

Edit: If I remember correctly Kingpin run on my P2 450MHZ PC with 16MB TNT card quite well back in the day. :p

Anyways nice to hear that the GPU has Hardware Transform and Lighting :)

joshwaan2k said:
I know Kingpin and Descent games has open source, wonder if the GPU be fast enough to run thoses game?

Edit: If I remember correctly Kingpin run on my P2 450MHZ PC with 16MB TNT card quite well back in the day. :p

Anyways nice to hear that the GPU has Hardware Transform and Lighting :)
Kingpin ought to run nicely as should Descent. Q3A is supposed to run on it and if it does, many
titles ought to run nicely on it. The only concerns I have is that we have 128Mb of system RAM, which
may put a crimp in the style on some titles- if we had 256Mb, I'd not be so concerned with things.

Honestly, I wish I had access to Rune and a few other Loki Entertainment titles in source- they'd run
NICE on the Pandora. I know that a few of the titles LGP has in hand should or can run on it once they're
ported. I'm eager to get my hands on a unit so I can bludgeon the titles I've got the source tree into
something that might fit on a Pandora. :D

Well guys I sold my PSP for money for the Pandora today hehe :)

I can't wait to get one of the new handhelds :).

Kingpin was cool game. I'd like to play both Descent 1,2 have not played through these games yet.

Back