How Good Of A Gamer Are You?

If you watch me play SMB3 for half an hour you'll hear me say 'OH NOW THAT WAS BULLSHIT' about 50 times. Platformers can be frustrating, but they are fun. Metroid for the NES.. now thats a hard game. Its not like games today you can beat without dying once.

i would class myself as a pretty good gamer, i love my fps's though and online play.
although lately i love adventure games just finished fahrenheit (thats indigo prophecy for anyone in the usa)

anyone here play online pc games

I class myself as an okay gamer. I complete most games I play, it may take me a while sometimes though. I remember one of the tomb raider games took me over a year to play as I kept putting it down all the time (And I don't mean having it shot coz of a broken leg).

Myself I like to find all the secrets, I usually play it through like a woman possessed, then I go back or replay it looking for secrets. i.e. Doom had loads of extra stuff to find, Jak and Daxter had lots to pick up and with Spyro the Dragon you got an extra level when you found all the diamonds.

My pet hate is someone saying "Yeah I finished the game in one night" then asking them about a part I liked, they haven't a clue what I am talking about as they just happened to look up some cheats and skipped a hard part that led to something amazing.
Cheats are pointless, so what if you're out of bullets or plasma bolts, it just means you have not gained enough skill to beat the game. Keep playing, get better at it!

It was down to the above I got my love of Doom. I remember starting a level on little health, hardly any ammo and I just hid in a small secret room listening to all the wee beasties snorting around me, afraid to venture out as one bite or bullet in the nose would mean I would be playing with the fishes. That really gave me a sense of digital mortality. I would never have had that experience if I had looked up IDKFA or whatever it was. The point of some games is to keep you in suspense, always looking for the next nibble of health, or the next secret that takes you away from all this horror :lol: .

Anyway, yet again I have gone orf on a tangent. As I said at the top of the post I'm an okay gamer, I could give some of you a thrashing at a deathmatch, but I don't class myself an expert. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, yet again I have gone orf on a tangent. As I said at the top of the post I'm an okay gamer, I could give some of you a thrashing at a deathmatch, but I don't class myself an expert. :unsure:
Name the game, let's dance!

Quake II :D

If I can get Quake II running under service pack 2 I'm up for some of that action. I'm better at quakeworld and quake III though :)

I'd have to say, with all modesty, that I suck as a gamer. I enjoy games but really, I'm just no damn good at them. I've finished so few games that I can name all of them in one short breath: Planetfall, Wishbringer, and Infidel by Infocom (text adventures) Disciples, and Half-Life. That's it. Really. I've always stunk at console games and have never finished one but I tend to be able to play RPGs for quite a while... I just never finish them. As an interesting note, I've been playing The Elder Scrolls:Arena on the PC since 1995 (off and on) and have yet to finish it.

Name the game, let's dance!

Quake II :D

If I can get Quake II running under service pack 2 I'm up for some of that action. I'm better at quakeworld and quake III though :)

Kewl, let me know :)

Kewl, let me know :)

OK I managed to find and install my Quake II. Is anyone else up for a bit of this? BTW are we playing standard QII or Lithium. Personally I'd prefer Lithium but since I can't remember any maps for QII it probably won't make much difference. :)

Wow I forgot about Lithium, I love the hooks :) . We have GOT to play a lithium game, I haven't had a go on that in years....

I'm very good at FPS and some general action games.

Good at platformers, puzzle & RPG.
Bad/Decent at simulation, driving, and strategy.

All of them are fun though ;)

Back