How Far Is The To-do List Of The Pandora Produktion?

I think its best that OP just pushed ahead with the keymat. We could always buy a replacement mat if the one that is finished isn't up to snuff. Let's just get the Pandora out the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
I see the keyboard layout is done. I hope it turns out well.
agreed. I hope they used what I suggested. (not because I suggested it, i honestly could care less. Simply because it was the only one to my knowledge that applied key frequency data and accessibility while holding down the function key to it's layout.) I'm sure they made a good choice either way. We'll prolly be seeing it soon, and I'm satisfied just with that =]
'Phawx' said:
I think its best that OP just pushed ahead with the keymat. We could always buy a replacement mat if the one that is finished isn't up to snuff. Let's just get the Pandora out the door.
tru dat! I just want to see it as soon as possible, and pretty much everything that can be said about a keyboard has already been said, so opening it up to discussion again would have been a pointless headache. Hopefully they did sift through all the old keyboard topics before choosing a final design tho, just in case they missed any 'buried treasure'.

Edit: oh yah, forgot. Has the final case mould been given the thumbs up already or is that waiting on MWeston as well?

I think since MW has the MK3 board and ED just had the MK3 [edit: MK2, duh], they're probably waiting for MW to do a little bit of double-checking to make sure it's good before mass production.

i sincerely hope that at last we're going to see a *finished* pandora... with all the proposed final parts inside it, turned on, with a semi useable OS. im so tired of all those videos that turned out to be nothing but an empty shell or non working brick.

MWeston's had the MK3 board for a while. That's nothing new.

EDIT:

Confirmed: Bob's Game running on a mass-production Pandora at GDC.

'gibberish' said:
i sincerely hope that at last we're going to see a *finished* pandora... with all the proposed final parts inside it, turned on, with a semi useable OS. im so tired of all those videos that turned out to be nothing but an empty shell or non working brick.
seriously, what the hell is your damage? i dont think i have heard you say anything positive about this project. i mostly cant wait for the pandora to be finished so hopefully people like you stop being such ungrateful jackasses.if everyone else can be patient and wait, and if those who are annoyed by the wait can hold their tongue then so can you. we are all in the same position here, so why do you think you have to the right to be an asshole to the people making it? frankly i hope they just send you a blueprint for the pandora and say "FU, make it yourself". stop biting the hand that feeds you.

'RenegadeChic' said:
'gibberish' said:
seriously, what the hell is your damage? i dont think i have heard you say anything positive about this project. i mostly cant wait for the pandora to be finished so hopefully people like you stop being such ungrateful jackasses.if everyone else can be patient and wait, and if those who are annoyed by the wait can hold their tongue then so can you. we are all in the same position here, so why do you think you have to the right to be an asshole to the people making it? frankly i hope they just send you a blueprint for the pandora and say "FU, make it yourself". stop biting the hand that feeds you.

you dont get it do you. we were originally told that pandora would be finished in april 2008, we waited patiently for months - now impatience is setting in. i've said plenty of positive things about this thing, i think it will be an awesome product, but the longer it goes on the less amazing it becomes. we were promised a *finished* protoype in august 2008, that never happened - all we got was some FDM case shells. so far this whole project has been slipped deadlines and broken promises, i have a right to be annoyed. and now it looks like the april shipping is about to be slipped back to may or june again, its tiresome, its annoying me and im certainly not the only person voicing their frustration - i have no idea what gave you that idea.

and im not sure what it was about my post that you deemed so ungrateful, all i said was i hope its going to be a video of a final pandora, like the one we've been promised for the past year.

'Gautama' said:
Did someone say there was a video?
xcok22v1ov5k7l6ws76.jpg

OMG lol! :lol:

Well according to the recent blog entry, only boring work is left:p

'gibberish' said:
you dont get it do you. we were originally told that pandora would be finished in april 2008, we waited patiently for months - now impatience is setting in. i've said plenty of positive things about this thing, i think it will be an awesome product, but the longer it goes on the less amazing it becomes. we were promised a *finished* protoype in august 2008, that never happened - all we got was some FDM case shells. so far this whole project has been slipped deadlines and broken promises, i have a right to be annoyed. and now it looks like the april shipping is about to be slipped back to may or june again, its tiresome, its annoying me and im certainly not the only person voicing their frustration - i have no idea what gave you that idea.

and im not sure what it was about my post that you deemed so ungrateful, all i said was i hope its going to be a video of a final pandora, like the one we've been promised for the past year.
what is there not to get? ive been following the project since summer 2008 and have had my preorder since october and i had to re-order and i've been checking the site every day yet somehow i manage to not talk about it like you do. how have you followed the project as much have you had and not understood the reasons for the delays and problems? i keep reading about these "broken promises" but even just the idea of referring to things like that is so utterly juvenile. yes, of course we live in a real world without real problems and everything we hope will happen will of course happen as and when we plan it and hurrah for the world being flawless and our little dreams remaining intact. even the fact that you say that a TIME delay will make the exact same item you would have originally received less good is laughable. i didnt realise that consoles and technology aged like people, i presumed that they pretty much stayed the same as when i bought them. just because my gameboy, for example, is over 15 years old, it doesnt diminish what it is. and just because i had to wait til my birthday to get it rather than its release day it didnt stop being as good. you make ridiculous statements.

your original post was foul for the following reasons:
- it implies that the OS is broken or rubbish
- that the videos and nice things made for us by the team have been a pointless waste of time
- you referred to what has been done alread as A Brick. do you really think that sounds nice?

it belittles all the work gone into it and the efforts to show us things. i cannot see how this project could have been better run for you without them having massive amount of private investment and having complete radio silence. but that would make it the opposite of what we want. it would not have had our input, it would not have had such open development, it would not have such devotion towards it.

now what part of this am i not understanding? or are you still gonna try and hammer down something about bwoken pwomises?

edit: noticed a typo

'RenegadeChic' said:
your original post was foul for the following reasons:
- it implies that the OS is broken or rubbish
- that the videos and nice things made for us by the team have been a pointless waste of time
- you referred to what has been done alread as A Brick. do you really think that sounds nice?
- no, it implies that currently the OS is perhaps not yet fit for public release (or was not in the last video's weve seen)
- i said nothing of the sort
- a handheld/console is commonly referred to as a brick when it doesnt work as it should work. a console that doesnt turn on is commonly known as a brick, there was no malice there - just observation.

stop twisting my words. i said that i hope we finally see a complete working pandora, as weve been waiting for over a year. and thats what i meant.
if you want to jump on somebody go and read some of quasists posts and attack him instead.

i suggest that if you want to continue this ridiculous argument you pm me instead, since you seem to have managed to completely derail the thread.

'gibberish' said:
- no, it implies that currently the OS is perhaps not yet fit for public release (or was not in the last video's weve seen)
Depends on the market. IMO the OS is ready for public release for hobbyists if it has working drivers. The first batch is meant for enthusiasts and people who can deal with some rough edges, maybe even round them by themselves. If you want a more consumer friendly version wait for the second batch.

'gibberish' said:
- a handheld/console is commonly referred to as a brick when it doesnt work as it should work. a console that doesnt turn on is commonly known as a brick, there was no malice there - just observation.
And what part of the pandora does not work as it should, or does not turn on?

'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:
Depends on the market. IMO the OS is ready for public release for hobbyists if it has working drivers. The first batch is meant for enthusiasts and people who can deal with some rough edges, maybe even round them by themselves. If you want a more consumer friendly version wait for the second batch.

Agreed.
'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:

He's propably referring to ED's failed (prototype) screen cable, due to which he had no point in turning the pandora on, because it would have no LCD output. But we _have_ seen ED's board working before, so i won't (and neither should you, i think) worry about this small detail. (He's getting a new cable and MWeston should be making a new video (with all the parts in) soon (who knows, now?...) )...

'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:

im quite happy for the OS to be rough round the edges, but things like desktop applications coming through to the front when you're trying to play an emulator need to be fixed before its released - and im certain that they will be.

'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:

we still havent seen a fully working pandora, so therefore it is not working as it should be yet. the last (and closest to finished) video we saw unfortuneatly had a broken ribbon cable, ill fitting motherboard, no keyboard, missing abxy buttons and a loose fitting stylus slot - and therefore is about as useful as a 'brick' to the average pandora customer. again, im positive all of these things will be fixed before it is shipped, i only hope it is sooner rather than later, as it is getting rather late in the day now. :mellow:

The OS is in pretty good shape actually. I'm betting (though hard to say) there will be various loose ends for the public to hack on and whatnot, the firmware as is is pretty darned usable.

jeff

'gibberish' said:
'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:
- no, it implies that currently the OS is perhaps not yet fit for public release (or was not in the last video''s weve seen)

im quite happy for the OS to be rough round the edges, but things like desktop applications coming through to the front when you're trying to play an emulator need to be fixed before its released - and im certain that they will be.

I was under the impression that it was a fault in the application (supplied by a third party), not the os (supplied by OP).

'gibberish' said:
'B-ZaR' said:
'gibberish' said:

we still havent seen a fully working pandora, so therefore it is not working as it should be yet. the last (and closest to finished) video we saw unfortuneatly had a broken ribbon cable, ill fitting motherboard, no keyboard, missing abxy buttons and a loose fitting stylus slot - and therefore is about as useful as a 'brick' to the average pandora customer. again, im positive all of these things will be fixed before it is shipped, i only hope it is sooner rather than later, as it is getting rather late in the day now. :mellow:

I still don't see where the non-working parts come in. Yes, there are parts missing for which you cannot know if they work or not. A device is not a brick, if if has a loose stylus holder or misses a keyboard mat. It has a fault, yes, but it still works. We have seen that the hardware works. We haven't seen it all prettied up and in a shiny case, but a brick is not "something working not inside a case", it's "something not working inside a case".

Okay, I've made my case over semantics. :)

@Vorporeal

When did Mike say he has had MK3 boards? I never saw him mention it. Thanks for giving me a head's up though! Can't wait to see the bastard in action!

'MDave' said:
'Asmo' said:
Video of what?
Fully assembled Pandora? :blink:

Of course NOT :). instead of this we will get ...naked Craig to keep community threads hot, and make small international scandal , to make free-ad for Pandora on pages like engadget / ...

or video of dancing GPH people [like steve ballmer while ago], screamin' "we love this company, yeah"

CODE

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1274983729713522403

Haha at 'dance monkeyboy' vid.

@skeezix: Wow , that is great news. I will looking forward to the OS, because the OS only is already going to give me loads of fun.

And I hope we get our vid soon with the current OS running on a CNC unit.

I am old enough to remember DOS and have no problem with command line to run apps rather than a pretty GUI that requires no knowledge.

If things are at the DOS stage then get a partial release out - the important thing is that the hardware is 100% finished.

What we need to know is the state of the hardware!

Back