Release Main Site Update News

r00tw00t

Website
Visit site
Hi,
as everybody is waiting, I thought I'd post some status informations. I'll keep them up-to-date here, so everybody knows what's happening :)

To-Do:

* Get the final CNCed case (still waiting...)
* Wait until the mould of the keymat is finished
* Design the final keyboard layout
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the case is here)
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards
* Stability testing (this will be fun)
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March)
* Mass Production
* Test the boards
* SHIP THEM!

Please keep in mind that it also takes some time to ship.
It won't help if the case if finished in China, it has to go to Michael and then to the CE / FCC testing company, etc.

Okay, some more info about the mass production:
We want to have a 48 burn-in test for the boards. The failure rate on the first boards depends on how many we'll test!
In worst case, we have to test ALL boards, which will take a month - don't worry however, as we can have weekly shipments of the already tested and working boards so the first guys who have ordered don't have to wait so long.
Let's cross our fingers and hope there won't be many problems from now on!

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing - an update on the front page. Supprising nobody's thought of that before... ;)

Seriously, it's nice to have good updates, and that's exactly where they should have been from the start, so thanks.

okay
I like a status-update on the first page
no secrecy
no forum-browsing
no blog-searching

this post just means - it wont happen in april
and it might not happen in may

but at least they're being honest ;)

I believe the single element outside of manufacturing the units would be the FCC/CE testing, but then again I think that would just take 2-3 weeks. That's when will probably see it pop up on Engadget again. Goodtimes.

Nice to have a juicy slab of info. :)

'_VWV_' said:
As I'm supposedly in the end of the queue, I'll be getting my in June-July... Shit...

I dunno, still looks like April-May to me. I am the eternal optimist though.
Question for the team: Can you tell us a bit about stability testing? What does that involve?

'_VWV_' said:
As I'm supposedly in the end of the queue, I'll be getting my in June-July... Shit...
Only in worst case, if most boards are broken after MP, which is what we don't hope.
If only 1 out of 200 is broken or so, no need to test all of them :)

Last edited:
'EvilDragon' said:
'_VWV_' said:
Only in worst case, if most boards are broken after MP, which is what we don't hope.

Does that mean that in that case, someone will get the faulty pandora and has to send it back to receive a new one within warranty?

I think May is being optimistic.............to think that chip was saying some might be shipped before christmas.........was hoping to get it soon as our first baby is due in May. I'll be so busy I won't have time to open the box for a few weeks after receiving it!

'EvilDragon' said:
Please, don't tease us :) or I'll have to order a cardiac pacemaker to secure my heart risks in case of a fiasco.

'Bosbeetle' said:
'EvilDragon' said:
'_VWV_' said:

Does that mean that in that case, someone will get the faulty pandora and has to send it back to receive a new one within warranty?

Errmm... well, yes, as it is the case with every electronical device you buy ;)

Last edited:
NickLoTurco said:
I think May is being optimistic.............to think that chip was saying some might be shipped before christmas.........was hoping to get it soon as our first baby is due in May. I'll be so busy I won't have time to open the box for a few weeks after receiving it!

The package arrives on the same day as your baby is born. "This is the happiest day of my life" you'll exclaim. Everyone will assume your tears of joy are over the little life that you helped bring into this world, but we'll all know the truth. ;)

* Get the final CNCed case (still waiting...)
* Wait until the mould of the keymat is finished
* Design the final keyboard layout
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the case is here)
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards
* Stability testing (this will be fun)
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March)
* Mass Production
* Test the boards
* SHIP THEM!

Can this list be broken down a bit?

* Get the final CNCed case (still waiting...) [possibly by Feb 20th? Latest Feb 27th?]
* Wait until the mould of the keymat is finished [time frame?]
* Design the final keyboard layout [this should be finalized before the mold is finished, yea?]
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits) [time frame to ship the CNC case to mold makers? Are you sending the CNC case to the same people that are doing the keymat mold?]
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the case is here) [How many CNC cases did you order?]
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards [Does this include testing the LCDs or have they already been tested? this is the part that should take 48 hours right?]
* Stability testing (this will be fun) [or is this the part that takes 48 hours?]
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March) [What *are* the last remaining pieces? And why are they taking so long to get delivered?]
* Mass Production [Have you guys hired people to assemble them? Are they getting assembled in Texas? and than shipping to Germany/London, before getting shipped to everyone else?]
* Test the boards [Do you mean the complete units?]
* SHIP THEM! [Will this be as awesome as I am making it out to be?]

I don't think they're actually shipping the CNC case to the mass-producers, they'll probably just send the CAD files through e-mail or something.

the "mass production testrun" probably refers to a test of the actual mass production facility, like a run of 400 cases to make sure they look like the CNC case.

They probably ordered just one CNC case, considering how expensive they sound.

They wouldn't be sending the CNC case to the mold makers, they'd be sending the actual CAD file. Much more accurate, and there's not much that the mold makers could do with the CNC case anyway.

I remember ED saying that the FCC testing (don't know about CE) doesn't have to be done before the Pandora initially ships, because FCC testing doesn't need to be done for imports.

The 48-hours is the final "Test the boards". This is to do a stress test to make sure that no components fail. The initial stability testing might be a bit of case stress testing? Not sure. The mass production test-run is probably just to make sure that all of the settings and configurations for the mass production are done correctly before going ahead and producing 4000 of them with a faulty production "pipeline".

@lulzfish: I don't think the cases are being made at the mass production facility, but I could be wrong. I'd assume that they're being done somewhere else and shipped to the production facility.

Back