How did you find out about the Pyra/Pandora?

How did you find out about the Pyra/Pandora?

• Computer/Linux News Website

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Niche News Website

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Blog/Reviewer that I follow Posted about it.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Somebody in an Forum mentioned/advetised it.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Computer/Linux Magazine

• Other(Mention in a Post)

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I directly (Pre)ordered when I found out that such an Device exists.(Pandora/Pyra)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • It needed some Videos or Reviews to convince me.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The Comment Section (under News,Vids, etc.) convinced me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mouth-to-Mouth Propaganda.

• Total voters

I voted 'found on a forum' but technically that was people discussing the GP32, and I found gp32x. I was lurking through the launch of the GP2X, made a couple of posts around then (but I'll be damned if I can find them), discovered people chatting about a home-made alternative and dismissed it as wishful thinking. I didn't jump to ordering a Pandora until the first units started showing up in users hands, and jumped to be part of the second tranche (albeit some months after it opened). When the 1GHz Pandora was announced, I hummed and harred, but when ED finally moved production to Germany and offered us old preorderers a cheap upgrade, I jumped and got my Pandora shortly after.

So technically I discovered the Pandora on GP32X, after having discovered the GP32 a few years before. And kept the faith through gruso's news site through the lean years.

I honestly forget how I heard about the pandora I think I just happened to stumble upon the website one day, saw all that it could do and knew that I had to have one.
Got lucky and paid the "get it now" price when Craigx had it as an option on his website. Signed up for the forums and read all about the development etc.Honestly one of my favorite tech purchases of all time.

Excited for the Pyra as I was here from "day 1"
I'll make some decent videos to show it off when it arrives, (made about 10 for the pandora showing off various EMU's) Some of you might remember me playing starfox one handed ;)

Someone wrote on a blog about that Dingoo thing and when I looked for distributors in the EU I found the pandora preorders going on, dismissed it as too expensive, and bought the Dingoo.
Not a bad decision at that time. You got the device quickly, instead of forking over money to /dev/null
It was cheaper, It came with the TV out cable included by default. It came also in pink.... AND had an FM Radio. All features even the Pyra will not have..
And it could handle up to Doom games... not bad for such a small device....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo

hm... I am now looking for an USB dongle that has a radio (not the digital type, already have that through the TV dongle I have).

I learned of the Pandora from watching Ashens, a somewhat popular YouTuber that reviews junk, cheap/out-of-date food, and gadgets. That 40min Pandora video got me excited, but there was no way I could afford the Pandora at the time.

Funnily enough, I found Ashens through YouTube recommending me videos on the Dingoo A320, which YouTube guessed from my constant watching of PSP hacking videos. Ashens' video was the top pick.

So, in a nutshell, the PSP, YouTube algorithms, Ashens, and boredom are to be credited for leading me to the Pandora.

As for the Pyra, I found out about that through Phoronix, which I discovered in my transition from Windows to Linux. Michael covered the 2014 FOSDEM presentation.

Some of the proposed answers on this survey are nonsensical...

directly (Pre)ordered when I found out that such an Device exists.(Pandora/Pyra) -> does not explain how they found out about the Pyra/Pandora in hte first place...
It needed some Videos or Reviews to convince me. -> same thing
The Comment Section (under News,Vids, etc.) convinced me. -> same thing

Gee, when you make a survey, make it right.

@ekianjo The poller not only wants to know which format has the best reach, but also what it takes to convince potential customers, I guess.

I first saw Pandora mentioned in a Wikipedia article around 2008. I wanted one, but since online crowdfunding was an unproven concept back then, I wasn't willing to take the risk of it not working out. I was going to buy one after it was released for normal sale, but it took so long that I ended up completely forgetting about it.

The first time I heard about the Pyra was around two years ago when I went to the Dragonbox store to buy a GCW Zero. I saw the Pandora there and considered getting it instead. I did some more research and found out that a successor was in development. I decided to wait for its release, so I can get an up to date device.

since the forum software only allows one actual question, it makes sense to hide two questions in the question.

Back