Release HotFix 6 Alpha 3 out!

Upgraded from Hotfix 5 to the latest version of this, no problems so far. I installed the updated network driver so my wifi is working again. I like the new panel additions, it's only a pity the one for the CPU speed doesn't show what speed you're running at on the panel itself (I know it's only an icon!). I know I asked this in another thread, but will it possible to update the new additions like PNDstore and Lightweght using PNDstore directly onto the NAND, or is it safer to download the updated versions as PNDs?

^ wut

By doing it wrong do you mean please redesign the UI to your standards in hotfix 6 alpha 4?

Errr... you might want to go back to school, maybe learn to read? That's not what I said at all. It's ok, take some time, go over it again, then come back when you have something intelligent to say.

D.

If you start in XFCE and switch GUI to Minimenu

then switch GUI back again to XFCE

then 'Toggle BT'

You now get 2 BT icons instead of 1 as the panel is rebuilt. Both are slightly smaller than normal but it eats more panel space overall.

I have this issue in HF5, actually.

Hi, is there a good tutorial on doing a proper backup of all system settings before hotfix? Things like key bindings, xfce settings, wireless, etc.

Anything that gets wiped out during re-flash. A settings backup program would be great too.

Hi, is there a good tutorial on doing a proper backup of all system settings before hotfix? Things like key bindings, xfce settings, wireless, etc.

Anything that gets wiped out during re-flash. A settings backup program would be great too.
Backup your home directory befopre appling HF6a3 using something like :

Code:
cd;tar czf /media/<SDName>/backuphome.tar.gz .

and then restaur it : using something like :

Code:
cd;tar xzf /media/<SDName>/backuphome.tar.gz

No need for a tool that will just do these 2 cammands

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I'm still on HF6 alpha 1 (will try alpha 3 in a few) and I have been noticing an issue that I have not seen reported yet in these alpha threads (searched for "light" and "backlight"). It is regarding the LCD backlight.

For some reason, after going to idle or even after I close the lid, something is turning the LCD backlight on again after a few minutes. The screen remains blank and looks "black" in good light but in low light it is very easy to see that the backlight is on. This started happening with HF6 alpha 1. Can someone confirm if this is a newly introduced "alpha" issue?

See below. I photographed the Pandora in very low light and with a long exposure so that it is more obvious what is happening.

Top left is normal screen off after idling for a while, top right is still idle but backlight turns on after a few minutes.

Lower left is lid closed with backlight coming on on its own after a few minutes and lower right is just another picture with a longer exposure to show better how the backlight comes on after a few minutes with lid closed.

The Pandora was never touched after closing the lid or letting it idle but when the lid is still closed and the backlight comes on on its own, if I then click the R shoulder button the screen turns on to normal full brightness with graphics as if I had opened the lid. I can see this is happening with the lid closed because of the slightly higher gap on the left side between lid and bottom part when lid is closed.

The only way to keep the backlight off all the time is by putting the Pandora in low power mode with the screen completely switched off every time.

EDIT: I noticed skeezix reported a similar-looking bug in the bugtracker but my issue is not just when booting up with lid closed. It is happening every time.

backlight_issue.jpg

Code:

Code:

;)

hi tried the above commands but getting 'tar:cowardly refusing to crate an empty archive' error message?

Code:

Code:

;)

hi tried the above commands but getting 'tar:cowardly refusing to crate an empty archive' error message?

EDIT: You missed the "dot" at the end in the first command, probably. The dot is part of the command, not a fullstop to end the sentence ;)

EDIT2: small explanation of the command/s:

1) "cd" by itself takes you to your home directory.

2) the ; is just to seperate multiple commands in the same line.

3) tar (old meaning: tape archive) ( c ) reate a new archive with ( z )compression, in a device ( f )ile called /media/<SDName>/backuphome.tar.gz

4) the "dot" at the end means "of the current directory" (which would be your home directory since you did the initial "cd")

5) the "x" in the second command means "extract"

Hope this helps

Code:

Code:

;)

EDIT: You missed the "dot" at the end in the first command, probably. The dot is part of the command, not a fullstop to end the sentence ;)

ah right thanks doh!

works now :)

Quick question: Does the kernel in this hotfix contain a workaround for the timing problems with certain Class 10 SD cards?

[edit] This post has some info about it: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1592-sd-card-instability/page__view__findpost__p__65644
No, that change is too extreme and could cause problems. Do you have an affected card and could test some different fix if I gave you custom kernel?
Yes, and yes.

(Unfortunately, I didn't yet manage to set up a cross-build environment that creates a working kernel from the pandora git, so I'll gladly take the binary for testing...)

Back