Homebrew On Ds?

gary.mckeown

Website
Visit site
Ok now that fight night round 3's out for the psp and i'll need to upgrade to 2.60 i'm gonna end up losing a majority of my homebrew. so i'm thinkin of getting a DS if the homebrew/emu's are any good + it also has the added bonus of having SBK's out for it :-D

so anyone with a DS that uses homebrew/emu's on it. hows it running Genesis/Snes?
does it have a amiga emu out for it?
what will i need to buy aswell as the ds to play the homebrew/emu's?

Cheers

Gaz

since your on the GP32x forum, i guess its safe to assume you have a GP32 or GP2x. if all your concerned about is emulators and homebrew, then whats wrong with your Gp32 or GP2x, The DS isn't going to do anything different that the GP2x can do already, and possibly the GP32.

I have a PSP a DS and a GP32.

I dont bother with emulation on the DS at all. I tryed some homebrew and it wasn't all that good, it was while back tho.

The Snes emu runs perfect but only a handful of roms I tested work.

Besides, a new Eboot loader has been released for 2.01+ and it is reported to run the same homebrew that 2.0fw runs.

Check out:

www.pspupdates.qj.net

Steve.

yeah i've been keepin an eye on pspupdates get some quite good news on there, i've looked on the fanjita site but there's still quite a bit missing fromt the 2.60 loader (pspradio mainly and amigaue).

The DS can emulate a lot of consoles, but don't forget it's ARM9 is only 90Mhz compared to the 200Mhz and over (sometimes overclockable to 280Mhz) of the GP2X and the 133 Mhz and over (again, sometimes overclockable to 166Mhz) of the GP32, so don't expect full speed.

gary.mckeown posted on Feb 22 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
Ok now that fight night round 3's out for the psp and i'll need to upgrade to 2.60 i'm gonna end up losing a majority of my homebrew. so i'm thinkin of getting a DS if the homebrew/emu's are any good + it also has the added bonus of having SBK's out for it :-D

so anyone with a DS that uses homebrew/emu's on it. hows it running Genesis/Snes?
does it have a amiga emu out for it?
what will i need to buy aswell as the ds to play the homebrew/emu's?

Cheers

Gaz

The DS screen resolution is only 256 x 192. Genesis is 320 x 220. The DS screen resolution is way to low to accurately emulate many other systems such as SNES, PC-engine, etc. That about kills it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was quite impressed with SnesDS. I only breifly tested it, but its pretty much full speed with sound in a lot of games. Compatibility is very low though, since not many special modes are supported... I hope he continues work on it.

And DaveC, the 'standard' SNES resolution is 256x224, so its pretty much native on the DS (besides cropping 6 pixels from the top and bottom). Looks beautiful.
As for native 320x240 stuff, thats another story :D

gary.mckeown posted on Feb 22 2006 at 10:18 AM said:
starting to get the impression that the ds is pretty pooh lol
DS may not have the best homebrew scene, but it surpasses the fun of any other mainstream handheld imo. The games are there. I may have to pick up a DS lite when they come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back